Tarp
    TTTM,WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    choosing

How to choose the right top cover?

Hi.
    I apologize for any errors, as I do not speak English very well. But I would really like to know YOUR opinions.

I am new to the hammock camping. And I have not yet found the answers to my questions.
    I was faced with the choice of the type of top cover. I try to understand, will I need a top cover?
    I read a lot of information about a humidity, a wet and its effect on a down TQ in the site.
    So, I have TQ and UQ - HG 30. I would use a hammock with top cover in the forest at 25-50 F. Chance of rain, fog.
    I would like to understand how the size and number of mesh holes affects the humidity and comfort of several nights?
    I would like to order top cover with one big mesh window with one side (for view) and small mesh hole with other side (for ventilation). The big mesh windows will be on left and right symmetrical for a better view.
    I chose for myself, I think, this option. Criticise it please!

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    double TTTM
    Tarp
    TTTM,WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    choosing
    Hi, folks.
    Really no one can express their opinion on my question? May be I wrote some absurdity? Correct me if it is.
    Or nobody cares about it? And I do not need to pay attention to these little things?

P.S. Maybe I should have placed my post in another section, like Weather Protection? If so, admins please transfer my post to the desired section.

Thanks
    Last edited by DimaS; 11-15-2018 at 04:04.

Quote Originally Posted by DimaS View Post
    Hi.
    I apologize for any errors, as I do not speak English very well. But I would really like to know YOUR opinions.

I am new to the hammock camping. And I have not yet found the answers to my questions.
    I was faced with the choice of the type of top cover. I try to understand, will I need a top cover?
    I read a lot of information about a humidity, a wet and its effect on a down TQ in the site.
    So, I have TQ and UQ - HG 30. I would use a hammock with top cover in the forest at 25-50 F. Chance of rain, fog.
    I would like to understand how the size and number of mesh holes affects the humidity and comfort of several nights?
    I would like to order top cover with one big mesh window with one side (for view) and small mesh hole with other side (for ventilation). The big mesh windows will be on left and right symmetrical for a better view.
    I chose for myself, I think, this option. Criticise it please!

Thanks in advance.
    Hi DimaS,

Your English is fine.

Without knowing what hammock you own, it is difficult to give specific advice. The photo you include appears to be a Dream Hammock. If that is what you own, then they can offer more help than I can, but I will try to give some general comments.

You ask if you need a top cover. No, you do not. The conditions you describe are fog and high humidity. A top cover may help a little but it is not necessary. The top cover would be for keeping out wind and holding in some warmth in colder conditions.

If you are asking about rain, the top cover is not for keeping rain off. You need a tarp for rain. The top cover may keep wind blown moisture out but not rain.

If you do order a top cover, it must fit your hammock. Again, if you order from Dream Hammock they can advise specifics.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

One more point: if you are asking about the mesh vents on both sides for better views, that sounds like a good idea. Mesh will vent your breath and may reduce moisture build up inside the space formed by the top cover.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For the given conditions, I would use a mesh only (no solid) top cover and a tarp.

No matter what is chosen, a tarp is necessary, and most people find some sort of mesh cover is needed to keep out insects. This can be the zippered mesh that connects directly to the hammock or a separate net cover such as a Fronkey.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I try to understand, will I need a top cover?
    Need for which purpose? A top cover is simply a way to keep the warm air in the hammock and prevent drafts. If you sleep warm and don't mind drafts, you might be happier without one.

More ventilation means less condensation. But also less warmth and less protection. It's always a compromise. You'll probably get most condensation around 32°F.

Sounds like you might be better off with a simple net.

Hammock
    double TTTM
    Tarp
    TTTM,WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    choosing
    Oh, guys! I am so grateful to you all.
    You confirmed my doubts about the need to topcover.
    Then I will get a hammock with a bugnet only and save some money ))
    Thank you to all

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    What hammock are you considering?
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    double TTTM
    Tarp
    TTTM,WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    choosing
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    What hammock are you considering?
    I choose between Chamelion and Sparrow. If I decided top cover then I will buy Sparrow. But since I will not buy top cover then I will buy Chamelion. Also Dutch announced The Sale.
    Now I choose a fabric and width it. I am 6'1" and 200 ft.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I would tend to trust that DreamHammock would add more vents if they felt it was necessary. Instead they include just one triangle vent at the head end’s peak. If you see any more, then it is a custom request. If you really are wanting more ventilation (just to be cautious) and views to the outside while laying down, then go with the slanted vent down one side like the Chameleon hammock (also like the one shown in your pic). If you add more, you are certainly improving the chances of minimizing moisture problems, but you start losing the benefits of heat retention. Most people use a top cover for winter or for the extra privacy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast