WBBB. WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ, HG 0 TQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/ buckles

Help deciding on hammock to relieve calf pressure

I am mainly a tent camper but want to learn to hammock camp. I have a Warbonnet Blackbird original. I cannot get rid of the calf pressure. It is a 10' hammock and it is suggested that an 11' hammock may solve this issue. For a first time Dream hammock which one would you guys recommend I try? I would want the bug net.
    Thanks,
    Roy

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Dream Hammock, Simply Light Designs, and Dutchware all make excellent hammocks. They all have their selling points. But I would recommend starting there.

https://www.dreamhammock.com/
    https://dutchwaregear.com/
    https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/

My personal hammock is a Dream Hammock Raven. I find it extremely comfortable, and get no calf ridge from it.

As this is the Dream Hammock subforum and I REALLY like the work the Smurfs do, let's stick with DH products...

If you want a net and only a net (no overcover), you don't expect to ever remove it, and an asym hammock suits you, I'd go with the Darien. Lot of bang for the buck. I think it's the lightest model with a net.

If you want to be able to leave the net home and/or take a top cover, then the Raven gets you there. Also, in the future, you might be able to pair it with another, if that's something to consider. No UQ hooks though...

I bought a Roaming Gnome (Danger Bird, net only) because I wanted a retractable net and I didn't need to remove it (to save weight.) If you don't opt for UQ hooks (but you should), having a zipper on each side makes it easy to tweak your UQ. Extra zipper sliders allow you to close the zipper anywhere along its length.

The Sparrow offers all the bells and whistles. Probably MY next hammock, unless I buy a Freebird first for indoors...

If you can't get your calves past the taut spot in the fabric in a 10' hammock, no matter how much of an angle you go for, then you'll probably be able to do so in an 11' hammock. Sometimes, just getting the foot end high enough, which shifts you toward the head end, will get you to a sweet spot.
    Last edited by TominMN; 11-13-2018 at 13:23.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindreamer View Post
    I am mainly a tent camper but want to learn to hammock camp. I have a Warbonnet Blackbird original. I cannot get rid of the calf pressure. It is a 10' hammock and it is suggested that an 11' hammock may solve this issue. For a first time Dream hammock which one would you guys recommend I try? I would want the bug net.
    Thanks,
    Roy
    I know this problem is easily solved, but I can not say for certain it is easily solved by a Dream Hammock, as I don't have one and have not even had the pleasure of trying one. Since this is in the DH forum, I am not sure if I should comment about other hammocks or not. But I have not found 11 ft hammocks to be guaranteed to be 100% free of that problem. Some others apparently do. YMMV.

But in the meantime, since you already have a hammock, just try a fairly thick knee pillow IN ANY HAMMOCK. If thick enough, that should end all calf ridge and knee hyper extension problems, plus add some extra insulation under your legs. Just be careful that it is not so wide and thick so as to interfere with top quilt fit, you may have to experiment with that. If you don't have enough clothing that you are not sleeping in to fill up a nice, fat stuff sack, then just inflate and tie off a spare storage or small garbage sack that you might have with you any way, as described in Lev's thread here. This solves a multitude of problems:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ee-Pillow-Hack

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    For starters I’d get the Raven. Zippers on both sides, and can add a top down the road of you wish. It’s a great product!

Also, since your just starting out, the Raven is symmetrical, so you can either way and it works just as well!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    But I have not found 11 ft hammocks to be guaranteed to be 100% free of that problem. Some others apparently do.
    Same here. It comes down to the fabric for me. I have 10' and 11' identical hammocks and they're the same as far as comfort goes. Any fabric that is soft and a little stretchy works for me, otherwise you have a hard, coarse ridge under your calf that will be very annoying.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindreamer View Post
    Thanks,
    Roy
    mountaindreamer,
    We'd be more than happy to help you configure something real nice. We can work with you and suggest possible hammock sizes and fabrics that should greatly reduce or eliminate any calf ridge issues you have. Just let me know how we can help. I can be reached via email at [email protected]

Hammock
    WBBB. WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ, HG 0 TQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/ buckles
    Thanks guys for all the help and advice. I'm gonna contact Randy and let him set me up.
    Roy

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Use a trail pad or sit pad under your feet.

Like Shug.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

• + New Posts