Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I think rweb is onto something. Looking at your picture, it appears that your feet are pressing onto the right side of the hammock, completly off the underquilt.

Good luck finding the solution.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Airgaps between the UQ and hammock, pressure on your calfs, wind, foot elevation...lots of factors. Already some good suggestions as to what you can do.

For me the important thing are to:
    Make sure you are warm before going to bed by eating something and doing some activity like a short walk or even some jumping jacks. I find my feet warm up when I do this.
    Make sure your feet are dry so put on new dry socks. A Nalgene hot water bottle in a sock or sleeve of some kind works wonders for warming parts of your body. I use a reflectix cozy on mine and just enough heat bleeds from the lid to warm my foot area for hours.
    Make sure you block any wind or breeze. Covering the foot end as Shug shows in his video is great for blocking wind and for retaining any excess heat not trapped by your quilts. Alternately you could invest in an UQ protector or a winter sock.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I normally use 3/4 length UQs so my head and feet are not covered by the UQ. I use a Klymit PillowX for my head and throw my jacket down at the foot end of my hammock to place the foot end of my TQ on. I agree on not using tight fitting socks. I have also placed hand warmers in my front pant pockets as this places them over the femoral artery in the legs. I find the cloth material in the pockets is thick enough to keep the hand warmers from burning me but still let lots of heat thru.

I have problems keeping a beanie on at night so I will often wrap / drape a spare shirt around my head for insulation leaving a small opening for air.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I always use the footpad which comes in handy to sit on too. It makes a world of difference as soon as you put your feet on. I use the pad from Arrowhead equipment.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I too have very very cold feet and tried everything but to my amazement I tried the no socks approach and it works. Once the temps fall below the 20 degree range I use a hot hands in my "Hot Box" pouch that is sewn in my LocoLibre top quilt. I love this option. Open a hot hand and pop it into the slot and no cold feet for me.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Single Layer Netless
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    I had a similar problem... solved it by wearing neoprene slippers over wool socks. Slippers are the kind you would maybe wear around the house...nufoot is the brand I think.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I too have very very cold feet and tried everything but to my amazement I tried the no socks approach and it works. Once the temps fall below the 20 degree range I use a hot hands in my "Hot Box" pouch that is sewn in my LocoLibre top quilt. I love this option. Open a hot hand and pop it into the slot and no cold feet for me.
    I’m a very strong proponent that less is more when it comes to worn layers while sleeping. I’m working on an idea to address this, hopefully I’ll have it posted this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    There are a couple of issues going on when dealing with base layers...including socks.

One is compression. Tight fitting base layers reduce circulation and the ability of the body to warm itself.

Second is the additive effect of two warm bodies(or limbs, fingers, etc.) being next to one another. The same way mittens are warmer than gloves and the reason that in a hypothermia/survival situation two naked bodies will stay warmer than two clothed bodies.

So, if your feet are getting cold, maybe try reducing the insulation between them(lighter or no socks)and adding insulation around them(your jacket for example).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I’m a very strong proponent that less is more when it comes to worn layers while sleeping.
    Aside from a hat, Iv noticed this too... A coat/long johns/big socks ect seems either no warmer or so marginal it makes no difference for me. My most comfortable sleeps have been in a sun shirt with a hood, shorts and ankle socks.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I’m a very strong proponent that less is more when it comes to worn layers while sleeping. I’m working on an idea to address this, hopefully I’ll have it posted this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always wear a single thermal layer from about 20°-50°

If I start sweating I bail. FAIL!!!!!
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast