Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    I always use the footpad which comes in handy to sit on too. It makes a world of difference as soon as you put your feet on. I use the pad from Arrowhead equipment.
    +1 on the foot pad from AHE, works great for me.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Even at home when I'm just sitting around watching netflix at night my feet can be everything from ice cold to warm. Usually just slightly cold. I was always curious about the rare "warm" instances and what I unknowingly did to experience this. I'm guessing a combination of that day's food, water and prior activity since the temp and humidity are constant.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    My humble $0.02..

I'll agree it looks like you could benefit from raising the foot end a bit. Always hard to tell but does look like your feet are past the UQ. That said, slide the UQ towards you feet a bit.. it's well past your head. It's a delicate balance, slide body one way and UQ the other. Not sure if you can do that with a Wookie.. I have never owned one.

I'll second the thin or no socks.. I am better with thin, loose socks than heavy. And most important, don't go to sleep with cold feet... it will take forever to warm them.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    - Lose-fitting,thick, dry socks
    - Keep those socks in your jacket/shirt close to body for a bit to keep them warm right up until you are in the hammock, then put them on
    - Down/insulated booties are nice
    - Use a hot water bottle, like a Nalgene, at the foot end. Or even just to pre-warm the quilt if you don't want to sleep with that in there.
    - When you're going to bed, make sure your feet are totally dry. They have more sweat glads than anywhere else on your body. You may think they're dry, but could still be clammy. After taking off my day socks, I kick them around a little to air out.
    Loose fitting is definitely key. My first night in cold temps I layered 3 medium thickness pairs of socks and all that did was make em colder. Now I have one pair of loose thick wool expedition socks and synthetic insulated booties I can put on to walk around camp. Putting my feet through the bottom of my down jacket also helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sewed a quick footbox wrap for my TQ. Used some fleece. I don’t back pack in the winters so i am not worried about gear weight for a winter camp. It is a simple rectangle that can be Velcroed to create a sleeve. One end is open, the other has a cinch cord to close it. Slide it over the bottom of my TQ (it is about 24” long) then it attached with 3 simple loops and snaps I attached to my TQ. Stays on pretty well. No more cold feet. During the camp I can detach this and use it in my camp chair to keep my butt warm. Simple and easy.

Hammock
    Hammock Gear - 1.6 with Net
    Tarp
    UGQ - WD 12'
    Insulation
    HG Burrow + Incub.
    Suspension
    Straps + Buckle.
    I had my first trial of my system last night and I had a cold butt and my feet intermittantly got cold. I had to wake up several times and reposition my UQ and by morning, I seemed to have worked it mostly out.

My issues with the feet where that I simply had the UQ positioned wong and they would slip over it while I was sleeping. I shoved some clothing under my bum which helped greatly with the cold arse. I was near the rating of my TQ/UQ so I wasn't too far out of the spectrum of expectations. I think I'll bring a foam pad next trip that I can cut up and strategically place.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I like the "check for down migration" ideaarticularly in your top quilt.I had an issue with my TQ recently where the down wound up around my toasty feet while the upper torso got too cool.Took me a minute to realize what was going on too.Also,everybody needs to have a piece of reflectix to move around to cold spots as that eliminates some mid night fiddlin'.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    These "Cush Booty" 's from Baffin are great for sleeping in the hammock.... a light, high-top / boot shaped slipper.... with no rigidity in the sole, they provide a good insulating layer w/o compressing socks underneath.
    I don't use them around camp, only for sleep in the hammock.

https://www.amazon.com/Baffin-Unisex.../dp/B001E5CRK6

Like Shug and others have stated, going to bed with warm feet, energy in your system and managing wind are also very important.

Baffin_Cush_Booty.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I like those Baffin booties. I also bought the slipper version to save space/weight. And since then, I moved to the Enlightened Equipment apex booties which are ridiculously light and compressible.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Great sleeping socksKIMG0767.jpeg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast