Dutchware 11 foot
    Tarp
    DIY asym sil poly
    Insulation
    LL 20 to, WL 15uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Hammock Gear DCF Hex vs Warbonnet ThunderFly

im trying to make a decision on a new three season tarp. Iíve narrowed my selection down to a HG Cuben Hex or a warbonnet thunderfly. I realize there is 7 oz difference, but thatís ok.

Iím curious to anyoneís experience with either of these tarps.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I just got the Thunderfly a couple of months ago. My first tarp was a Superfly so I guess you could say Iím working my way down to more minimalist coverage as I get more comfortable with being able to keep dry.

I had it out one weekend so far with light rain and it held up perfectly fine. I like the end beaks for just a little added protection but can be easily pulled out of the way. Also, I already had the pole mods for my Superfly, and they continued to work perfectly on the Thunderfly. Even in porch mode, the pole mod helps with just that finely added lift. In fact, during the rain I kept it in porch mode with the pole mods and I didnít have any pooling.

Both of my tarps are in 20D, and durability wise I havenít had any issues, even with testing in my backyard with 20-30mph gusts.

Iím sure the HG is just as reliable, I just donít have any first-hand experiences with it.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I primarily use DIY tarps (the latest of which is similar to a WB Thunderfly), but I also own a HG DCF tarp with doors. If weight was your primary concern, I'd say go with the HG hex--their gear lives up to the hype. If weight isn't the most crucial factor for you though, there are some legitimate reasons to consider going with the Thunderfly. There's a significant cost savings, right off the bat (over $100, in fact). I've also found DCF to be a bit noisy, especially during rain. That's not such a huge problem for me since my snoring tends to drown it out, but YMMV. It takes a little longer to pack up my DCF tarp than any of my silpoly ones, due to having to roll the material before drawing the snakeskin over it. I also can't overstate how convenient those mini doors are. They provide a significant amount of extra coverage for a small weight penalty.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    Dutch netless 11'
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF w/door
    Insulation
    EE top HG UQ
    Suspension
    Venom straps
    Hello Bmello,

I also have the Warbonnet ThunderFly in 20D Silpoly and the HG DCF standard tarp with doors. Both manufacturers are first rate: accordingly either of these tarps are excellent in manufactured quality. Your decision really boils down primarily to the pros and cons of silpoly vs. DCF, and whether or not to have doors/beaks.

Regarding the material comparison, I have come to the conclusion that the only significant benefit of DCF over SilPoly is weight (and this is a substantial difference). Beyond the obvious advantage of cost, Silpoly has two other other advantages over DCF:

1. It is definitely easier to pack SilPoly. It takes less volume (when stuffed) and stuffs much easier. Some (me included) choose to roll or fold their DCF tarps to reduce the pack volume. I knew this when I purchased my DCF tarp, but didn't think it would matter to me. It does.

2. It is easier to pitch SilPoly taught. It has a decent bit of stretch, whereas DCF does not.

The issues of stretching when wet and water absorption that we all dealt with when using SilNylon are not issues with SilPoly (based on my first hand experience). The noise of rain drops and wind are quite noticeable in both materials ( I use ear plugs for this).

Regarding beaks or doors, they are a game changer. I have been in rather significant wind and rain in both my ThunderFly and my HG DCF with doors. In both cases, I stayed perfectly dry. I don't think this would have been the case if I did not have end coverage. If I could only have one tarp, it would have beaks/doors.

The beaks on the ThunderFly are quite well designed. They provide all the coverage needed, but allow for entry/exit without unhooking anything.

So my advice is to alter your comparison to be Warbonnet ThunderFly, vs. HG standard DCF with doors. If weight is your significantly main driver (which it sounds like it is not the case for you), choose HG, otherwise choose Warbonnet. Either way, you will be choosing fantastic products.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11 foot
    Tarp
    DIY asym sil poly
    Insulation
    LL 20 to, WL 15uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by scottsosmith View Post
    Hello Bmello,

I also have the Warbonnet ThunderFly in 20D Silpoly and the HG DCF standard tarp with doors. Both manufacturers are first rate: accordingly either of these tarps are excellent in manufactured quality. Your decision really boils down primarily to the pros and cons of silpoly vs. DCF, and whether or not to have doors/beaks.

Regarding the material comparison, I have come to the conclusion that the only significant benefit of DCF over SilPoly is weight (and this is a substantial difference). Beyond the obvious advantage of cost, Silpoly has two other other advantages over DCF:

1. It is definitely easier to pack SilPoly. It takes less volume (when stuffed) and stuffs much easier. Some (me included) choose to roll or fold their DCF tarps to reduce the pack volume. I knew this when I purchased my DCF tarp, but didn't think it would matter to me. It does.

2. It is easier to pitch SilPoly taught. It has a decent bit of stretch, whereas DCF does not.

The issues of stretching when wet and water absorption that we all dealt with when using SilNylon are not issues with SilPoly (based on my first hand experience). The noise of rain drops and wind are quite noticeable in both materials ( I use ear plugs for this).

Regarding beaks or doors, they are a game changer. I have been in rather significant wind and rain in both my ThunderFly and my HG DCF with doors. In both cases, I stayed perfectly dry. I don't think this would have been the case if I did not have end coverage. If I could only have one tarp, it would have beaks/doors.

The beaks on the ThunderFly are quite well designed. They provide all the coverage needed, but allow for entry/exit without unhooking anything.

So my advice is to alter your comparison to be Warbonnet ThunderFly, vs. HG standard DCF with doors. If weight is your significantly main driver (which it sounds like it is not the case for you), choose HG, otherwise choose Warbonnet. Either way, you will be choosing fantastic products.
    Thanks. My winter tarp is a warbonnet superfly and the doors are great. But I want something for 3 season thatís a little lighter and easier to pack than the superfly.

My summer tarp is a homemade Dutchware xl asym which works great in light rain and wind. I love it for a late spring or early fall night and after a couple of mods it only weighs 8.5 oz.

Sounds like the thunderfly might be a better 3 season for me.

Thanks!!