Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Well ...... Gransfors Bruk hatchet....... Axe ... well gram-weenie ya' know.......
    Ohhhh ... stylish hacking murderer ... when only the best will do!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newzy View Post
    this goes inline with my desire to never sit with my back to the door in a restaraunt. I need to be able to survey the entrance.
    As part of my marriage arrangement, I have to take option 2 and let my wife sit facing the restaurant entrance. I just read her eyes as people come in to see whether I should duck or not. .

I like the idea of being below the trail, but I agree that most people look down. Maybe up above them is the more stealthy way to go.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    I've never been in this situation but I'd have to say above the trail, this goes inline with my desire to never sit with my back to the door in a restaraunt. I need to be able to survey the entrance.
    I'd have to say uphill to have the visual advantage.

I also sit so I can face the door. My wife knows this and usually heads to the opposite seat automatically. I think it's the male protective instinct.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    As part of my marriage arrangement, I have to take option 2 and let my wife sit facing the restaurant entrance. I just read her eyes as people come in to see whether I should duck or not. ...
    Ha ... goodun ... lots of "parts" to those marriage arrangements huh? Going on year 32 come June and I'm still getting fine print points brought up that obviously "I forgot"

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

I always sit facing the door in case some jealous husband comes in.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
    Let's say you are hiking along a trail that rises on one side and drops off on the other. You decide to set camp and you prefer a stealthy hidden camp but there are no hills to tuck behind. Do you hang on the uphill side or downhill side?

Just curious if you feel those hiking have a tendency to look uphill or downhill while hiking along. Personally I have tented 20 yards from the Long Trail and had people walking by me all morning without anyone seeing me.

Let's hear those funny stealthy stories!
    first of all bleemus, how do you know they did'nt see you. If you wanna be truly safe, go off trail in one direction.

My procedure:

Getting dark outside
    stop, pick one direction (whichever looks most concealed, NSEW) and befor eyou leave the trail, place a stick on the ground in the middle of the trail pointing in the direction you are going.

The stick allows you to locate your camp if you go to get water, relieve yourself, whatever.
    use your compass to walk in a straight line in the chosen direction til you cannot see the trail anymore, then go further.
    make sure you go out pretty far, i go about an 1/3rd or 1/4th of mile i guess, dont know exactly but you definately cannot see me from the trail.
    If you have a bad memory, write down the direction you went and when you wakeup in the morning go the opposite to find you way back.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Who are you all hiding from? I most often tend to camp in places where there aren't people coming along at all.

If I'm on an established trail that does have foot traffic, then there is little harm in talking to the passerby briefly. Hikers are by and large people that I do want to meet.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Ha ... goodun ... lots of "parts" to those marriage arrangements huh? Going on year 32 come June and I'm still getting fine print points brought up that obviously "I forgot"
    Amazing that, just how many of the fine print points we originally missed or forgot. Do you suppose it is some kind of male genetic memory condition over which we have no control, and therefore, shouldn't be blamed?

Back to the thread, as I originally said, uphill for me...but my wife thinks I'm going downhill rapidly. I do love her dearly, even when I'm wrong!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Who are you all hiding from? .
    Axe murderers ... zombies and all kinds of haint's and boogers that lurk in the piney woods!

Me personally ... get off trail for solitude. If I encounter someone ... always good to have a chat .. but if I'm solo ... I'm looking for solitude. Kinda fun actually.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Who are you all hiding from? I most often tend to camp in places where there aren't people coming along at all.

If I'm on an established trail that does have foot traffic, then there is little harm in talking to the passerby briefly. Hikers are by and large people that I do want to meet.
    Sparrow, not to be paranoid, but the amount of people using national parks for illegal activites (meth/weed) has grown significantly in recent years. I just finished reading an article about the mexican cartels in national parks in the west. I have seen my fair share of shady folk on the trail, and i didn't tell them where i was going either. I have seen lots of nice people-much more so-probably 10 times as many. But, all it takes is one psycho. In my last trip to Big south fork i discovered an old pot grow, followed the black tubing up a hill to a clearing. It was winter so it was abandoned. But people who do those kind of things often set traps for them or are dangerous in their own right. Thats why i stealth.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast