Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    Sparrow, not to be paranoid, but the amount of people using national parks for illegal activites (meth/weed) has grown significantly in recent years. I just finished reading an article about the mexican cartels in national parks in the west. I have seen my fair share of shady folk on the trail, and i didn't tell them where i was going either. I have seen lots of nice people-much more so-probably 10 times as many. But, all it takes is one psycho. In my last trip to Big south fork i discovered an old pot grow, followed the black tubing up a hill to a clearing. It was winter so it was abandoned. But people who do those kind of things often set traps for them or are dangerous in their own right. Thats why i stealth.
    If the bad guys put their stuff off-trail in stealthy locations, I would think your chances of encountering a bad person doing bad things or traps would be increased by searching out these same stealthy locations.

Tough call, but I'm with AngrySparrow on this one.
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

I have a question, you mention uphill vs downhill, but isn't that all relative to the direction of the other hikers as well and not just yours, AT NOBO and AT SOBO if you stealth in one direction your hidden from one direction of hiker and not the other right? Just asking cause from reading the other posts a lot were saying being visible from underneath or just from the top (like your tarp).

CB

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Well, first things first...I would go up.
    And with that having been gotten out of the way.....I agree with AS and if another hiker spots me when I am in the stealth mode I am likely to say hello and acknowledge thier existance and maybe have a short and friendly conversation with them. That way at least they know that they are not the only one in the woods and just let that take effect when it needs to (ie emergency or times of integrity being tested).
    Now if they are riding a MUNI and have a head-cam rig, they are probably not looking up or down but ahead, and they probably don't have space for an ax, since that would mess with thier balance. They are going to be too tired to chase me uphill, and drug cartel members don't ride MUNIcycles anyway. If they are like any of the other trail-cyclists they are going to be dressed like a polypro mosquito and not a problem to spot or track, and since I don't live out west or in the climate that is best for growing pot I am just going to enjoy my time in the Piney woods and hope that everybody else does too (of course that way of thinking does not precude packin' a piece).

HYOH/YMMV
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    diy Clark Vertex
    Tarp
    diy silnylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I can testify to the people usually don't look up thing.
    I went on a day hike with my dad a few years ago on a busy trail (can't remember which). We climbed maybe 70 feet up a hill off the trail to have lunch and watched what seemed like over 100 people walking by. I don't think one person saw us even though we were pretty exposed.

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Well ...... Gransfors Bruk hatchet....... Axe ... well gram-weenie ya' know.......
    I always took you for a sling blade wielding kinda guy... mmm-hmmm

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Your wife gave you these I assume:

THE RULES

1. THE FEMALE ALWAYS MAKES THE RULES
    a) The rules are subject to change at any time without
    notice.
    b) No male can possibly know all the rules. Nearly all
    females are born with this knowledge.
    c) If the female suspects the male knows any of the rules,
    she may immediately change any or all of the rules.

2. THE FEMALE IS NEVER WRONG
    a) If the female is wrong, it is because of a
    misunderstanding which was a direct result of something
    the male did or said wrong.
    b) If rule #2 applies, the male must apologize immediately
    for causing the misunderstanding.

3. THE FEMALE CAN CHANGE HER MIND AT ANY GIVEN POINT IN TIME
    a) The male must never change his mind without express
    consent from the female

4. THE FEMALE HAS EVERY RIGHT TO BE ANGRY OR UPSET AT ANY TIME
    a) The male must remain calm at all times, unless the female
    wants him to be angry or upset.
    b) The female must under no circumstances let the male know
    whether or not she wants him to be angry or upset.

5. ANY ATTEMPT BY THE MALE TO CHANGE ANY OF THESE RULES COULD
    RESULT IN SEVERE BODILY HARM
    Just remember the mantra of all men...

Repeat after me:

"I'm a Man. I'm Sorry"

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    I hafta agree with the "Up hill" crowd, but I would ask Why just "Up?" and not "Over?" Unless up is a long haul to get to "over" Then again, if you're being stealthy, don't provide a shilluette against the skyline. Humorous anecdote: I was hunting and camping , wearing full Tiger stripe camo, standing in ankle high leaves with a hillside 30 yards to my rear. A Squirrel hunter came down a trail 40 Yrds from me wearing red t-shirt, crunching gravel, making a racket. I squeezed a squirrel call, just to mess with him. Lured him to within 15 feet of me before he saw my hand move when I squeezed the call. It scared him so bad when I just "Materialised" out of seemingly nowhere, He nearly shot me. All he could say was "Who are you"

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ice man View Post
    I hafta agree with the "Up hill" crowd, but I would ask Why just "Up?" and not "Over?" Unless up is a long haul to get to "over" Then again, if you're being stealthy, don't provide a shilluette against the skyline. Humorous anecdote: I was hunting and camping , wearing full Tiger stripe camo, standing in ankle high leaves with a hillside 30 yards to my rear. A Squirrel hunter came down a trail 40 Yrds from me wearing red t-shirt, crunching gravel, making a racket. I squeezed a squirrel call, just to mess with him. Lured him to within 15 feet of me before he saw my hand move when I squeezed the call. It scared him so bad when I just "Materialised" out of seemingly nowhere, He nearly shot me. All he could say was "Who are you"
    Whenever I'm in the wood in full cammo and see a guy with a gun its cause I'm deer hunting w/ the bow during the small game overlap.

If I see someone coming in my direction I pull out my blaze orange, stand next to a tree big enough to duck behind and wave at them. If they keep coming and can't see me I give out a quick "HUNTER HERE!"...

The reason for the tree is cause some small game guys see motion and AIM/FIRE...

Jersey is invaded by the orange army every small game season and its scary getting rained on with bird shot

Be careful out there...

-Xex

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Stealth

When thinking about picking a stealth camping location, I tend to remember the methods we used in setting up a secure field perimeter during my tours of duty as a Marine rifleman in Vietnam.

In "setting in" for the night; both the concealment of your position and the ability to detect/observe people coming your way are primary considerations. A "close second" consideration, is your ability to take tactical advantage of the terrain for defensive and escape purposes. That usually puts you in an up-hill situation relative to a trail or suspected area of movement.

There are many variables; too numerous to mention here. Frankly, most don't matter in a hiking scenario in the US.

If you want to get away from fellow hikers; I think it is best to get off the trail ~ 1/4 mile (probably up-hill), ensure that you have adequate terrain or vegetative concealment, and enjoy the evening.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast