Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I use a "welcome mat" because I sleep with jammies and light socks. Easier to wash clothes than to wash a down TQ. When I have to make that visit at night, I swing out and put my feet on the ground. No matter how carefully I place my shoes or sandals, at 3:00 AM the world has shifted enough that at least one foot misses it's mark. If I didn't have a mat, that means at least one sock on the ground. And that means at least one sock adjoined to small twigs and pine needles. It's not that I'm fussy, it's just that a little bit of plastic or tyvek keeps things cleaner. Also, as a sometimes kayak camper, there are times when you have to bring your gear down near the water before loading it into the boat. Having a "ground cloth" gives me someplace clean and dry to put the dry bags while they are waiting their turn.

Out in the woods, the ground cloth might provide a distribution depot - everything goes there pre-set up; everything goes there awaiting repacking. Now clearly if you are dealing just with your gear and something like a 45L pack or so, you can just work directly from the pack. But if you have other people with you, and you are overseeing their organization too, it is nice to have a collection point.

My world changed a lot when I went from just being responsible for myself to having to keep and eye out for others.

Hammock
    SLD 11' Tree Runner/XLC/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/WP/WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Gear Hammock
    Tyvek
    Mud Mat
    $4 blue tarp from Ace Hardware
    Disposable poncho
    a piece of Argon 90 (same material used for UQP)
    Pack Cover hung underneath your hammock
    Hang it form Tree
    Hang it from the Hammock
    Endless options

811f5e26d5927a9003f89a0d88eb706b_720x.jpgIMG_0572.jpgmudmat.jpgIMG_3109.JPG

Even considered the Zpacks bathtub groundsheet in case I ever had to go to ground for some reason.

solo_groundsheet_l.jpg
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."
    https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web
    http://www.atweather.org
    Hammock Insulation Temperature Testing Results Spreadsheet

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I set my pack on a piece of plastic I have carried for years. When I egress the hammock I just get out....step into camp shoes or bots.
    Used a footprint once but slid around too much.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG/WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    I got one of kitsapcowboy's War Bags, but I haven't tried it yet.

It's a gear hammock that's supposed to hold at least 40 lbs and stay waterproof by just looping one side over and weighting its pocket with a rock or a water bottle.

I plan to hang it from my main suspension (below the drip lines?) with some dog bones or UCRs. I think I'll try to bias it toward the foot end of my hammock if possible.
    I, too, have some of his excellent handmade gear, and also like to keep him in our thoughts. I've used the War Bag attached to my suspension as you mentioned, but also between two other trees, outside of the tarp. Works well either way.

My favorite setup was going from my head-end suspension to an otherwise unused nearby tree.

As to the ground cover question, I have occasionally used a small section of window plastic if conditions warrant it, and I've remembered to bring it along.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra w/drs
    Insulation
    EE rev/LLG/DIY
    Suspension
    Beetles/Straps/MSH
    Images
    How is KC doing? Hope all is well with him. I also have one of his "War Bags." It's what I use to store stuff off the ground where it can get wet and muddy during a hard rain.

Hammock
    BB 1.7DL w/dutch
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TOP&BOTTOM
    Suspension
    DUTCH & WHOOPIES
    tyvek works best and is super light...

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/WL TQ
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    First time I ever went hammock camping, it rained five inches overnight. There was a river underneath my Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip hammock, and if I had left my pack on the ground, it would have been swept away in the rushing water. I just clipped my backpack onto the ridgeline, inside the bugnet on the right side of my feet, and never noticed it was there since I lay head right, feet left.

After the Hennessy, I moved to netless hammocks and Fronkey bugnets. Again, no problem clipping the backpack onto the ridgeline with a carabiner - never noticed the pack was there. Now I use a Dutch Chameleon, and I imagine I would also clip the pack onto the ridgeline if the rain was bad. Most of the time I'll just clip the pack onto the end of the hammock, outside the bugnet. It rarely gets wet (I have a 4-season HG Winter Palace tarp with doors), and I kinda like how the pack blocks any wind or precipitation from entering my happy place.

Nowadays I mostly backpack with my beagle Joey, and I probably wouldn't want to have the pack inside the bugnet since he is prone to chewing on stuff. Ninety percent of the time, I just leave the pack on the ground with no ground sheet. As others have said, that's just more weight and I don't see the point.
    I have an several soft shackles that I made a bit larger (5-6" in diameter) that I can fasten to the end where my ridgeline meets my CL and I just hang the pack from there under the tarp off the ground.

I use PolyCro exlusively as well and have made some duct tape tabs on the ends that have grommets that allow me to stake it to the ground as well so it doesn't flap in the wind.
    Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 10.5'
    Tarp
    Anything Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I set my pack on a piece of plastic I have carried for years. When I egress the hammock I just get out....step into camp shoes or bots.
    Used a footprint once but slid around too much.
    Shug
    Same here. I like just enough to keep my pack off the ground and maybe a little to step on if I have to. Otherwise it's just something to slip on and get dirty...basically a magnet for dirt, leaf litter, pine needles, etc. no matter how careful you are.

$1 4x6 green poly tarp cut down to about 2x3 is what I've been using for years.