Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties

Question UQ Foot End Drafts - How to adjust / fix camping solo?

After a couple of years into hanging at least a night a month year round, one weakness in my abilities is preventing foot end UQ drafts when camping solo.

You can easily feel and adjust the head end while laying in the hammock.

The foot end, on the other hand, is impossible to see and adjust while in your normal hammock sleeping position.
    This has been the same struggle whether I use my HG or UGQ quilts and do not believe it's a mfr problem, it's me
    My 0 deg UGQ Zeppelin has an outstanding suspension design, the heavier 1/8 shock cord on the primary, a great secondary design and ample draft collars, but if not setup correctly, I find it difficult to troubleshoot what my problem is on the foot end when camping solo.

Maybe adjusting the primary angle w/ ridgeline hooks to lift the primary some will help?
    Maybe my secondary is not tight enough?
    Maybe my side to side, foot end channel shock cord is too loose or too tight? It's hard to tell? When I peak between the hammock and UQ while trying not to disturb my foot position and lay, I don't see any gaps between the draft collar and the hammock.

Last night it I never got it figured out. From my head to hips everything was perfectly warm and draft-less. From my hips to my feet, I could feel some cold, particulary on the bottom 1/2 of my bottom up to through the thighs.

Maybe using my UQ-protector will help seal up any drafts as well when it's Zero deg, like it was last night.
    Also thinking about adding a shock cord at the foot end to hook onto the primary on each side and run over the ridgeline to the other side's primary at the foot end, use a cord-lock to adjust tightness?

So, for those with more winter experience than I, I'd appreciate your input.

Mark

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    After a couple of years into hanging at least a night a month year round, one weakness in my abilities is preventing foot end UQ drafts when camping solo.

You can easily feel and adjust the head end while laying in the hammock.

The foot end, on the other hand, is impossible to see and adjust while in your normal hammock sleeping position.
    This has been the same struggle whether I use my HG or UGQ quilts and do not believe it's a mfr problem, it's me
    My 0 deg UGQ Zeppelin has an outstanding suspension design, the heavier 1/8 shock cord on the primary, a great secondary design and ample draft collars, but if not setup correctly, I find it difficult to troubleshoot what my problem is on the foot end when camping solo.

Maybe adjusting the primary angle w/ ridgeline hooks to lift the primary some will help?
    Maybe my secondary is not tight enough?
    Maybe my side to side, foot end channel shock cord is too loose or too tight? It's hard to tell? When I peak between the hammock and UQ while trying not to disturb my foot position and lay, I don't see any gaps between the draft collar and the hammock.

Last night it I never got it figured out. From my head to hips everything was perfectly warm and draft-less. From my hips to my feet, I could feel some cold, particulary on the bottom 1/2 of my bottom up to through the thighs.

Maybe using my UQ-protector will help seal up any drafts as well when it's Zero deg, like it was last night.
    Also thinking about adding a shock cord at the foot end to hook onto the primary on each side and run over the ridgeline to the other side's primary at the foot end, use a cord-lock to adjust tightness?

So, for those with more winter experience than I, I'd appreciate your input.

Mark
    I wish I could help you dial things in a little better but I do have a quick fix. spin around in your hammock the next time you're having issues and you should be able to adjust the foot end after you spin around spin back and you should be able to test those adjustments. Never have to leave the hammock that way

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I lean slightly to the left, being careful to not make any changes to my position to where it affects the UQ. Then I grab the end of the UQ and pull it away slightly while looking at the inside of the foot end. You'll be able to see whether or not your feet are tight against the quilt...or if there is a gap. It's hard to explain, so I hope that makes sense.

I did this routine earlier in the week when the temp got close to 0°. No issues, other than some time to warm up. Sometimes when it's that cold I have to deal with 10 minutes of cold on my butt before everything warms up. I think everything is just so cold it takes time to build some heat in the down.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I lean slightly to the left, being careful to not make any changes to my position to where it affects the UQ. Then I grab the end of the UQ and pull it away slightly while looking at the inside of the foot end. You'll be able to see whether or not your feet are tight against the quilt...or if there is a gap. It's hard to explain, so I hope that makes sense.

I did this routine earlier in the week when the temp got close to 0°. No issues, other than some time to warm up. Sometimes when it's that cold I have to deal with 10 minutes of cold on my butt before everything warms up. I think everything is just so cold it takes time to build some heat in the down.
    That's similar to what I was trying to explain as well and did not see any issues w/ gaps. Could also have been the slight breeze, maybe my UQ-protector needs to be a staple for winter camping?

Trying to set to where I can do sustained winter camping... not just single nights in the backyard
    Last edited by Us5Camp; 11-18-2018 at 13:13.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    That's similar to what I was trying to explain as well and did not see any issues w/ gaps. Could also have been the slight breeze, maybe my UQ-protector needs to be a staple for winter camping?

Trying to set to where I can do sustained winter camping... not just single nights in the backyard
    I know lots of people like the UQ protectors, but I've never had a need. And I certainly wouldn't want one in the winter.

Here's the frost I get at the foot end of my hammock when sleeping in cold, usually below 10°. A UQP would just be another barrier and this would be wet instead of frost that is easily knocked off.

In the photo I'm pulling the quilt down a few inches, so this would be covered up by a UQP.

For multiple days you mention, you need to try and keep things dry as possible. And of course setting the UQ right, which can be it's own problem when moving and setting up in a new location each night. I'm convinced that sometimes the way I set up my hammock affects the UQ fit...doesn't necessarily matter if all the cords on the UQ are the same. It's mostly trial and error to see what works for you. The error part isn't fun in single digits of course.

My biggest problem after some struggling was having the cinch cord on the ends pulled too tight.

Images
    This sort of thing has been a hassle for a lot of folks over the years. There are a lot of thread out there if you get to looking!

1; GET A PEA POD, end of such draft related problems. Well, you probably can't even if you wanted, I have been unable to contact any one at the company after several tries. But you can follow Shug's DIY pod plan. Pods=no drafts, on either end or along the sides, it is about = to being sealed up in a mummy bag, except way more comfy since it surrounds the hammock.
    2: Get a bridge hammock with a quilt designed to fit it. I have found these to also be quite draft free. For example, here is the head end of a WBRR occupied by me, I held the camera behind my head in selfie mode, with AHE UQ designe for this hammock:

In this picture you can see the foot end, though unoccupied. But I am sure it stays snugged up jus right when I am in it:

Here is a pic with me leaning out of the hammock trying to get a shot of the foot area, maybe you can tell it is snugged up nicely, no adjustments needed or possible:

3: wrap a jacket around the foot end of hammock an quilt, and snug up as needed.

But you say you want to make what you already have work? I can understand that! Try GillyGilligan's idea of switching ends in the hammock, and check your adjustments with your head down where you can see what is happening. If you have a partner, have him adjust the foot end of your occupied hammock for a perfect fit, and then leave the UQ on the hammock until the end of cold weather.

Or, something I have done: what about a weighted pack inside the foot end of your hammock? Then you adjust the foot end so that it just barely snugs up against the hammock?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I forgot about this. A flashlight is another good way to help when solo if you're really struggling on what's "going on" outside at the foot end. 3/4 UQ shown here.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Flashlight is a great trick.

Adjusting where your feet hit the foot end quilt by moving along the primary matters.
    With longer hammocks, I find I need to replace the shockcord and it makes a world of difference.

I lived an entire winter outside in the woods in a hammock and yeah, I used an UQP and wouldn’t go without it. Not always necessary but removes a bunch of the convection issues. Used both down and synthetic quilts, never had a downside issue that mattered. Heading out this weekend for 3 days, likely will see single digits or low teens (it’s 14° out right now) and will be using my 20° UQ, will be snuggy warm.

Generally I start loose and the tighten just as much as needed. Being a figure 4 sleeper I change the geometry quite a bit while moving around and my foot end is hardly ever the issue.

Make sure you tighten the secondary a bit more on the foot side and let off on the other to change the bias of the suspension.

Using a prussik or quilt hanger or mini biner to clip the secondary to a fixed position on the ridgeline helps a bunch as do triangle thingies. Though I find them much less needed after lengthening the shockcord on both primary and secondary. On 11’-12’ hammocks, I much prefer and notice a big difference between just extending the hammock suspension with loops vs replacing the entire suspension with longer cord. YMMV HYOH

Biggest mistakes I see people make, over tightening, short suspension, poor positioning on primary, improper tensioning of footside secondary.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Flashlight is a great trick.

Adjusting where your feet hit the foot end quilt by moving along the primary matters.
    With longer hammocks, I find I need to replace the shockcord and it makes a world of difference.

I lived an entire winter outside in the woods in a hammock and yeah, I used an UQP and wouldn’t go without it. Not always necessary but removes a bunch of the convection issues. Used both down and synthetic quilts, never had a downside issue that mattered. Heading out this weekend for 3 days, likely will see single digits or low teens (it’s 14° out right now) and will be using my 20° UQ, will be snuggy warm.

Generally I start loose and the tighten just as much as needed. Being a figure 4 sleeper I change the geometry quite a bit while moving around and my foot end is hardly ever the issue.

Make sure you tighten the secondary a bit more on the foot side and let off on the other to change the bias of the suspension.

Using a prussik or quilt hanger or mini biner to clip the secondary to a fixed position on the ridgeline helps a bunch as do triangle thingies. Though I find them much less needed after lengthening the shockcord on both primary and secondary. On 11’-12’ hammocks, I much prefer and notice a big difference between just extending the hammock suspension with loops vs replacing the entire suspension with longer cord. YMMV HYOH

Biggest mistakes I see people make, over tightening, short suspension, poor positioning on primary, improper tensioning of footside secondary.
    That is very interesting that you have no downsides with an UQP with long term winter camping. I have never had anything but benefits 99% of the time, but I tend to use various forms of VBs on the warm side of the insulation, so it makes condensation a moot point, for me anyway. But it appears you are not having a problem even without use of VBs? Good to know. Of course, one big difference is you probably use breathable UQPs, I use sil-nylon. Still, even a breathable cover is no guarantee of no condensation, as you can see from OneClick;s picture. And yet you have had no problems. Thanks for sharing that info!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Be sure to set underquilt to lift empty hammock a foot higher through entire length of hammock. Loosen or tighten short ends of underquilt.
    Reduce calf ridge wrinkles when you are in hammock by curling both heels close to buttocks and sliding heels on hammock as you extend both legs.
    Wrap a poncho around foot end over hammock and underquilt.
    Maybe a cold weather hammocker can help you set up and adjust your rig. Then later when you are solo, rig everything as close as possible to previous settings?
    Good luck

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast