Howdy from Flower Mound, TX (DFW)

I'm a Texas native and have always enjoyed camping. I was in scouts, my son is now in scouts, we family car camp couple times a year, and I've finally taken up backpacking. I can remember wanting to backpack ever since I was a teenager but didn't ever get the opportunity back then. Twenty five or so years later and I set a goal for myself to get in shape and go out and do what I always wanted to. So I lost 45 pounds, and have been on 8 or so trips in the last 1 1/2 years so far and loving it. I've watched more YouTube backpacking videos than I should admit to an now find myself deciding to try out hammock camping. I did the research online and with the deals this weekend I'm going all-in on a new hammock setup including a printed Dutchware chameleon, Hammock Gear Dyneema Hex Tarp with Doors, and all the trimmings to go with it. Looking forward to trying it all out when it gets here and getting it out on the trail.

One big thing to figure out is what to use when camping with the Scouts. I'm not sure that the HG dyneema tarp is a great option there since most of the time weight is not a factor, don't want the extra wear and tear on the tarp, and with it being slightly transparent (still not sure how much) it feels like the wrong thing for an adult in a scout setting. So I may be looking for another tarp option with good privacy. The Warbonnet Superfly and new HG Journey II seem like good options there, but not sure I want to spend another $100 for a semi-lightweight tarp. A blue Walmart tarp would work but I'm looking for more of a middle ground solution in terms of purpose built tarp.

Tim

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock forums. It looks like you have a handle on your gear so enjoy getting out there and congrats on loosing the weight.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Howdy and welcome to the trees! Looks like you're off to a good start with some fine gear choices.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Dutchware Half Zipped
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    ENO Blaze/Ignitor
    Suspension
    SpiderDaisy/Mantis
    Welcome. I too am involved in scouting. While I will soon invest in a lightweight tarp for backpacking, for most of our scout events we bring our gear in a trailer. My current setup is an 11’ Dutchware Half-Zipped hammock with Mantis hooks and spider Daisy. To your point about tarps for such outings, I use an ENO ProFly XL. It’s 13 feet long and my hammock with the structural ridgeline is just over 9 feet (110”), so that leaves me a lot of room under the tarp. The large tarp allows me to offset it a bit and I put my camp chair on one end under the tarp and still have a foot of extra on the other end. The large tarp also allows me to have really nice coverage in porch mode. Yes, it’s about a hundred bucks, but I got it on sale for 20% off and for these types of things, it’s really perfect. It’s got line locs on the tieouts (as well as the ridgeline, but I switched it to Dutchware Tarp Flyz).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts