DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Venom-J-bend-CL
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregori View Post
    I have been using a Blake's Hitch since learning it when I began hammocking camping in 2017. Yours looks different than mine and I cannot seem to figure out why. Mine looks exactly like your link to animatedknots.com and several other sources I used when learning knots. I use Blake's Hitch on my CRL and on my tie outs if I need very firm tension control. Ah, finally managed to tie your knot as shown in pictures. You have reversed the hitch on the standing part. See the two example picts attached. First is your knot. Second matches the Blakes Hitch in the books and online at animatedknots.com and other videos.

Attachment 170734

Attachment 170735

The pull needs to be friction tight in the direction of the loop, or the double line. Yours is reversed and only grabs when pulled towards the single standing line. Reverse and see if you can tell the difference.

Cannot find the link to the video I learned this knot from, but most of the examples online show a right hand with loop to the right, or a climbing line up/down with this knot facing down in direction of friction pull.

This is a climbing grade knot when tied correctly, and is rock solid on windy days and large tarps. It unties easily when needed but does not shake loose when un-loaded in your tarp bag or cord stuff sack.
    You are correct — I've been doing it wrong!

What is scary (or reassuring) is that I have used it incorrectly many times for tarp/tent guy lines and it still works with cords I use that hold knots well, i.e. NOT zing-it or other uhmwpe cords. It holds fine either way with Glowire or any of the polyester jacketed Atwood cords, including 1.18mm micro cord where my mis-tied Blakes didn't slip a micron in 40-50mph winds for more than 12 hours at Dolly Sods during a very windy trip in October... Hurricane Michael was departing, creating a very high pressure gradient.

But I stand corrected and hope that my misinformation hasn't caused a hassle for anyone.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    I suspect the reverse knot acted as a type of taut-line hitch and jammed up enough to stick tight. The Blake's Hitch stood up all night to 45mph wind and heavy rain on my large tarp (13x13) during a storm early October 2017. Tarp danced all over because I used some bungees to absorb the expected wind, tarp did not move the ridgeline or tie-outs using the Blake's Hitch. Knots are funny sometimes, you can misremember how to tie them very easily if you haven't used them in a few months. I often will refresh my finger memory by tying a bunch of knots if I'm bored watching some TV with the family before bedtime. Try Blake's Hitch and see if it works any better than what you were using, curious if you can tell the difference or knot (/grin).

Hammock
    DH Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Daisies

Staking out a tarp in winter questions

I did figure out how to make the Mooring Hitch work. I needed to tighten it in a way so that it didn’t behave like a noose, but the fact that it’s easy to do wrong and still requires unthreading more line from under the snow than the Highwayman’s Hitch makes me prefer the Highwayman’s hitch.

I’ve decided to use Lawson Statline with my sewn on LL3’s. It actually works, but just to be safe, I’m adding some Lawson bar tensioners to the system as well. So it will be super easy to adjust with gloves and doubly tight and the Highwayman’s Hitch hopefully solves the problem of digging up snow in the morning. I will use extra long lines so I have a nice long tail to work with and more natural anchoring options. I’ve even tied some large bowlines onto the tails to give me an easy grip for pulling them out.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out! I’ll bring some titanium “burly” shepherd crook stakes and titanium staple stakes just in case as well.
    Last edited by HandyRandy; 12-10-2018 at 13:42.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG/WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I will use extra long lines so I have a nice long tail to work with and more natural anchoring options. I’ve even tied some large bowlines onto the tails to give me an easy grip for pulling them out.
    I did exactly the same thing. I'm wondering whether I'll think the extra length is too cumbersome at some point, or whether the bowlines will interfere with anything, but without having to pull the line back under an anchor, it's working for now. I did, however, note that on the corners where the anchor was close to the tarp, my tail was too long to effectively use my bowline 'handle' without taking a step or two back.

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Venom-J-bend-CL
    You don't want any knots (or bowline) in the tail... even a simple overhand can make it impossible to pull out. You're going to be pulling out toward the tarp, so the tail will need to pull through the ice and around your deadman.

However, if you need to break it loose, you can throw a quick clove hitch on the tail, around a stick, and use that as a handle. Once the cord is freed up a bit, you can then move the clove hitch/stick to the tarp side and finish pulling it out.

Or you might not need to do either... you never know for sure until you start yanking.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Daisies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    You don't want any knots (or bowline) in the tail... even a simple overhand can make it impossible to pull out. You're going to be pulling out toward the tarp, so the tail will need to pull through the ice and around your deadman.

However, if you need to break it loose, you can throw a quick clove hitch on the tail, around a stick, and use that as a handle. Once the cord is freed up a bit, you can then move the clove hitch/stick to the tarp side and finish pulling it out.

Or you might not need to do either... you never know for sure until you start yanking.
    I will just untie them or cut them off if you end up being right, but the way I see it, the Highwayman’s Hitch allows me to get away with it because the tail does not need to slip through the ice. The clove hitch handle sounds like a good idea too.

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Venom-J-bend-CL
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I will just untie them or cut them off if you end up being right, but the way I see it, the Highwayman’s Hitch allows me to get away with it because the tail does not need to slip through the ice. The clove hitch handle sounds like a good idea too.
    Hmm... that's a good point. When we get some snow I'll have to play with it and compare the two. Never know for sure how it's going to behave until it's buried under packed snow overnight.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG/WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    I like the clove hitch idea for the handle. As mentioned, it's a non-issue for the highwayman's hitch in that you're not pulling anything all the way out from under the deadman, but I do like that the clove would not be set at a fixed location.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Never know for sure how it's going to behave until it's buried under packed snow overnight.
    This has been my one big concern with the highwayman. Will packed snow and ice jam up the usually quick and simple release? I don't have a lot of snow, but I think it's enough to do some testing.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Daisies
    Quote Originally Posted by Othello View Post
    This has been my one big concern with the highwayman. Will packed snow and ice jam up the usually quick and simple release? I don't have a lot of snow, but I think it's enough to do some testing.
    I’ll let you know how it goes for me, but I would be really surprised if it doesn’t work.