TTTM,WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    choosing

UQ+Chameleon/Sparrow=how?

Hi there.
    I am new to hiking with a hammock.
    I have a set of simple hammock gear by TicketToTheMoon (TTTM), like in this picture. As you can see i have a bug net 360. Also I use a UQ HammockGear Incubator Econ 30 with the hammock.
    But now I want to buy a hammock such as the Chameleon or the Sparrow.
    One of the questions that worry me in such a transition to a new hammock. Perhaps this is a stupid question, but I do not understand yet …
    If I use a hammock with a zip bug net how I can correct my UQ at night? At night, I change my position, then I sleep on the left lay and then on the right lay. Now I can put my hand under the hammock and fix and move my UQ as I need.
    And how you do it in these hammocks with a interated bug net? Is it really, do you open a zip for the head and then at the feet, fix a UQ and close a zip again?
    3906547741.jpg
    Last edited by DimaS; 12-03-2018 at 13:17.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DimaS View Post
    Hi there.
    I am new to hiking with a hammock.
    I have a set of simple hammock gear by TicketToTheMoon (TTTM), like in this picture. As you can see i have a bug net 360. Also I use a UQ HammockGear Incubator Econ 30 with the hammock.
    But now I want to buy a hammock such as the Chameleon or the Sparrow.
    One of the questions that worry me in such a transition to a new hammock. Perhaps this is a stupid question, but I do not understand yet …
    If I use a hammock with a zip bug net how I can correct my UQ at night? At night, I change my position, then I sleep on the left lay and then on the right lay. Now I can put my hand under the hammock and fix and move my UQ as I need.
    And how you do it in these hammocks with a interated bug net? Is it really, do you open a zip for the head and then at the feet, fix a UQ and close a zip again?
    Good Morning. I have the Sparrow, which coincidentally is quite similar to the Chameleon, although the Sparrow was out to market before the Chameleon. In any case, on the Sparrow, adjusting the UQ is a breeze, since it has zippers on both sides. If you get the symmetrical bug net you can sleep left or right lay at the expense of a few additional ounces in weight. Simply unzip a slot on wither side to put your hand through the bugnet/over cover to adjust the UQ. Both the Sparrow and the Chameleon can do this. It just comes down to which fabric styles you prefer. The prices are pretty similar. Either way you can't go wrong. I love both of these vendors.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

UQ+Chameleon/Sparrow=how?

Yes, the easiest way is to just unzip and reach out and do your thang. If bugs are swarming and you don’t want to open her up, it is certainly possible to pinch the quilt through the hammock fabric or bugnet and tug it up on one side, which is usually all you need to do. Some people like to use plastic hooks that are sewn on to the hammock body that the UQ suspension shock cords can snap into. This helps keep your UQ from migrating off your outside shoulder or feet. The Chameleon comes with them and DreamHammock will sew them on for you for a couple bucks extra. It’s just a matter of preference and not important to have them. If you switch your lay, you would have to unclip them and clip them to the other side though. Not so simple to do while laying inside, so maybe not ideal for you.
    Last edited by HandyRandy; 12-03-2018 at 09:31.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Yep. Both hammocks have zippers on each side, making UQ adjustments simple. But since you mentioned that you like to swap lay direction in the middle of the night, be sure you look at the symmetrical versions of those hammocks. Otherwise, you will be forced to lay in one direction.

As long as you're looking, I'd also throw in the Dream Hammock Raven and Simply Light Designs Trail Lair for consideration.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Since the topic is coming up, I’ll add some things. Most people don’t know this, so allow me to explain.

Symmetrical vs Asymmetrical Hammocks:

The difference is all in the net (or winter top cover). The hammock body is still a typical rectangle. Most people lay one way and stay there all night. If you cut the shape of the net/cover to allow for either lay direction, you will have a “sloppier” drape, meaning wrinkles and sagging in places and a heavier net. So the asymmetrical is simply a more streamlined shape. There is a unique middle ground option available called the DreamHammock Raven. It is symmetrical, but has a design that allows for a less sloppy drape. I switch lay often too and love my Raven.

Hammock
    double TTTM
    Tarp
    TTTM,WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    choosing
    Yeah..
    Yes, I know these hammocks has UQ hooks. And in my opinion, it is rather inconvenient to open the zippers on both sides and adjust the UQ every time you change your body position. But for this you still need to get out from under a TQ. Besides mosquitoes can fly at this time.
    But for some reason, the owners of symmetrical hammocks have never complained about such inconvenience. I am at a loss!

Hammock
    double TTTM
    Tarp
    TTTM,WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    choosing
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Yes, the easiest way is to just unzip and reach out and do your thang. If bugs are swarming and you don’t want to open her up, it is certainly possible to pinch the quilt through the hammock fabric or bugnet and tug it up on one side, which is usually all you need to do. Some people like to use plastic hooks that are sewn on to the hammock body that the UQ suspension shock cords can snap into. This helps keep your UQ from migrating off your outside shoulder or feet. The Chameleon comes with them and DreamHammock will sew them on for you for a couple bucks extra. It’s just a matter of preference and not important to have them. If you switch your lay, you would have to unclip them and clip them to the other side though. Not so simple to do while laying inside, so maybe not ideal for you.
    Is it possible to attach a UQ to these hammocks at 4 points: two attachment points at the head to the left and to the right and also at the legs? Will a width of standard HammockGear Incubator allow this?

Hammock
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Most hammocks we talk about here are 58”-72”. Most UQ are 44”, possibly 48” wide. You want that UQ to wrap around you as much as possible. Hooking all four points would, at best, work against this. It might even cause some damage.

What part are you’re saying that you’re confused about? Is it the sloppier drape of zippered symmetrical nets? It’s not terrible, but it’s not quite as nice. If you use pullouts sewn onto the hammock body with shock cord staked to the ground, it helps a lot though.

The 4 UQ hooks out toward the ends of the hammock work laying either way, use them. The issue is when you hook the UQ suspension to one of the tie-out points to get the UQ to your shoulder. With a symmetrical hammock and switching positions during the night you either don't use that option or go to the trouble of swapping the connection.

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    Spider Web 1.5 J-B
    I’m 5’9 and use the chameleon. As someone who switches sides each night (left and right) I’ve never had an issue with my under quilt moving if I attach the suspension chord to the 4 under quilt hooks. Getting that under quilt set up right definitely took some practice but I found having zippers on both sides of the Hamic when I switch directions I could reach out behind my head and adjust any of the shot cords to help adjust the fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast