SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

Non Quilt Underquilt

New hanger here. I have convinced myself I am going to love it, so I have planned out my purchases, gotten started and jumped right in.

I am getting a Trail Lair in 1.6W and a UQP. I will use that to hang indoors on my Turtledog stand through the rest of the winter to practice with the different variations and equipment and build up my gear. The very next thing on my list is a good UQ. I've been talking with the vendors and getting my questions answered and getting ready to order that but as you know dpending on who I end up ordering from it could take a while for it to arrive.

What I have been trying to find, unsuccessfully, is if there is a reasonable way to get started hanging while waiting for the UQ to arrive without having to go out and buy anything extra.

I will only be hanging indoors where the thermostat is set at 68. So reasonably, it will never get below 65 where I am hanging.

Could I simply take the blanket or quilt off my bed and put it between the UQP and the hammock? I realize this is very stopgap, but I'm hoping that for an indoor hang that would provide enough insulation to avoid CBS and keep me from having to go out and buy a pad I won't use after I get my UQ or another temporary measure no matter how cheap.

Thanks all for your help and advice.

Images
    Indoors? Just toss a blanket inside.

If you have an underquilt protector on hand, as you indicated, you can put a blanket between the hammock and protector assuming you can snug the protector up well enough to hold the blanket in place. Costco down throws work really well for filling voids.

You can also hang a blanket underneath the hammock by simply attaching some static cordage to the 4 corners of the blanket (and possibly the center too). The ol' knot-around-a-pebble trick works just fine for that.

Or do nothing. At 68F, it just isn't a big deal.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Thanks, this was my initial plan, but as I researched it here, everytime someone asked about indoor insulation the almost universal answer was get a UQ. So I was hoping people would say that the blanket would work until the UQ gets here.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you have a camping pad use that until......https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...PBkH55Ns90zkAu
    They will work in or out.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I've been full-time over 5 years, and don't get rid of the UQ until it's 75 or so. I don't think I'm an especially cold sleeper, either.

It's really easy to improvise an UQ from a full-size regular quilt, blanket, etc. All the complication comes from trying to minimize bulk and weight and drafts and to hit really low temp ratings, all of which is mostly irrelevant indoors. Think of the quilt like a hammock: gather each end and tie off. Doesn't need to be super strong anything since not load bearing. Then use shock cord to suspend snug underneath.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Wild thought.

Could I order 1 yard of Climashield for my daughters' 4x8 and 2 yards for my full-size trail lair? Alligator clip or otherwise attach the climashield to the bottom of the hammock and then cover it up with the UQP? It would be lightweight, flexible, and seems like it would be cheap and easy to do as a permanent indoor solution.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo Hanger View Post
    Wild thought.

Could I order 1 yard of Climashield for my daughters' 4x8 and 2 yards for my full-size trail lair? Alligator clip or otherwise attach the climashield to the bottom of the hammock and then cover it up with the UQP? It would be lightweight, flexible, and seems like it would be cheap and easy to do as a permanent indoor solution.
    You can try it. I’m not optimistic that you could get it to conform to the shape the hammock takes when you lie in it, just by clipping the climashield on. If the UQP can be snugged up pretty tight, so that it snugs the climashield in, the probably. Otherwise I’d think you would need shock cord channels on the head and foot ends.

Have you seen the UQP set up for snugging a pad up?

Images
    If the UQP does not firmly compress against the hammock (and most don't), the climashield will either 1) tend to puddle up in the middle, or 2) get a big bulging gap in the middle (thus the need for a suspension of some kind)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Yeah. I didn't imagine it would be that simple, but it was worth asking. Thanks for the info.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Single Layer Netless
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    Another option Is just to put a blanket between you and the hammock. I used a USGI wool blanket folded into thirds and laid on top of it with a sleeping bag for a top quilt. Temperature was probably 50 to 60 degrees. Wool worked great because it didn't compress, but I'm guessing fleece or most synthetic comforters would work just fine. In fact, you could probably lay on one half of a double/full size comforter and fold the other half over the top. Only issue would be keeping everything in place but I don't toss and turn at all in my hammock. Its just indoors... go ahead and try it. Whats the worst that can happen?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast