Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki

Freestanding only hammocks in Ozark National Scenic Riverway campgrounds

I was just told by a representative that the Ozark National Scenic Riverway has implemented a free-standing only hammock rule for camping. No tree straps of any kind. The concern is tree damage.

This is apparently an administrative rule for ONSR only, not the entire NPS.

From Site: "Camping Regulations
    Hammocks are prohibited from developed campgrounds and cannot be tied to trees. Self-standing hammocks are allowed."
    Last edited by runners_low; 12-07-2018 at 16:11.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Four years ago >> How long until hammocks are banned for good?

It happens. Yes, I'm the pessimist. In my admitted selfishness, I was hoping "hanging" and "hammocks" would be a fad. Something to fizzle out quietly, leaving just us to enjoy without repercussion. Obviously, that didn't happen. It hung on strong and grew like wildfire.

Life...she's hard!

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by runners_low View Post
    I was just told by a representative that the Ozark National Scenic Riverway has implemented a free-standing only hammock rule for camping. No tree straps of any kind. The concern is tree damage.

This is apparently an administrative rule for ONSR only, not the entire NPS.

From Site: "Camping Regulations
    Hammocks are prohibited from developed campgrounds and cannot be tied to trees. Self-standing hammocks are allowed."

You freaked me out a little bit with your original pre-edited post.

I'm glad to see your edit mentions the "developed campground" and not just in general along the riverway.

A group of us usually make it to the area a few times a year and I'm converting more and more of them to hammocks. I love much of the more secluded areas of the ONSR, so it'd really pain me if I couldn't hang along them any longer.

Sometimes we'll do a multi-day float and spend the final night at a camp ground, so I'll have to keep this regulation in mind. We're usually there in the very off-season times and rarely encounter others on the river, so it doesn't concern me too much, but enough that I'll pack along a stand in the vehicles and be sure to warn some of the rest of my group who have since ditched their ground gear.

I believe it might have been this way for most of the current year. I had some friends in the area that said they were "warned" some time late spring, but didn't mention the specifics. I didn't realize the full extent of it, so I appreciate you posting.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I feel a fine blend of anger, pity, and commercial interest resolving to shame, to read such news. Anger at the fools who damaged enough trees for this to seem warranted, anger at the decision to lump good and bad hanging practices together, pity that many may not be able to hang whether newcomers or veterans, and shame at commercial interest as a maker of portable hammock stands
    Last edited by Latherdome; 12-07-2018 at 17:06.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

• + New Posts