Hammock
    SLD Trail Liar/Tree Runner
    Tarp
    SLD Simplicity Asy
    Insulation
    UGQ/LLG
    Suspension
    Venoms w/ MSH
    There are D-rings on both sides of the hammock. You just pull the elastic straps out of the D-rings on one side and move them to the other side. The hassle comes when you find that you have to keep the pockets to the outside of the hammock to prevent anything from falling out. To keep the pockets to the outside you have to flip the shelf around, which involves unhooking the minibiners on the ridgeline and switching the top of the shelf up there. When I say hassle I mean it takes about 20 seconds. You have to take my comments in the context of me being a very lazy man. Well, a lazy man who considers spending the weekend hiking miles through remote forests with a backpack full of gear a great time. Oh great, now I'm having an identity crisis.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Liar/Tree Runner
    Tarp
    SLD Simplicity Asy
    Insulation
    UGQ/LLG
    Suspension
    Venoms w/ MSH
    Great questions. I'll give my best attempt at honest answers.

1) Other than the ability to organize items, what other advantages does the wall shelf have over a peak shelf? Any disadvantages? I find that the biggest advantage is in where the storage is. My only experience with a peak shelf is when I had a Chameleon, so I'm not sure if it's universally applicable, but I found it a pain to have to reach up behind me to put stuff in and grab stuff out. I also didn't like craning my neck to see what I was doing. The way I have the wall shelf set up it goes from right around my belly button to around mid-thigh. This keeps everything in a very convenient spot for me to reach in and grab. It's also netting all the way through so I can kind of look through it to see what I'm doing. It feels very natural to use whereas a peak shelf felt like it was a workaround if that makes any sense. The disadvantages will be covered by your next two questions.

2) Does the wall shelf also secure bulky items like a quilt or large puffy jacket (for later in the night)? Or will it not help with big items? This is one place where the peak shelf definitely shines. For a single large item like a quilt or a jacket I could just reach up without looking and grab it. It is possible to get a quilt or jacket to hook around the straps and stay up between the wall shelf and bugnet. However, in practice they tend to start to fall down through the night as I move around. I've stopped even trying to put those items up there and now just leave them floating around in the hammock with me. This doesn't bother me personally, but if it's an issue for you the peak shelf might be a better option.

The wall shelf does a great job with smaller items though. I usually keep my cell phone, Anker charger, water bottle, head lamp, glasses, and a pocket knife in mine. Sometimes I'll add in a book or Kindle and a snack if there's a storm or something that's going to keep me in the hammock for a while. The wall shelf handles all of this with ease, and could probably hold almost double that amount.

3) Does the wall shelf ever get in the way? Does it interfere when you enter/exit the hammock or when shifting position in your sleep? Or is it completely out of the way of normal movement (but easily within reach when needed)? The wall shelf would make it very difficult to get in and out on the side it's hanging on. Hard enough that I'd never try it. One thing I like about other systems is the ability to have a symmetrical system that allows me to hang it any which way and figure out which end is the head and which is the foot on the fly. With the wall shelf I tend to keep the same head end as I strongly prefer to get in and out on foot side of my hammock. When i have the wall shelf on the wrong side I have to get in on the head side and swing my feet over. It's not a big deal, but I'm somebody that gets bothered by small inconveniences.

Other than that I've never felt that it's in the way. It doesn't feel all that different than having a standard ridgeline organizer in there with you. It's floating around, ut it's not in your face or anything like that. It's never affected me moving around in my hammock unless I had a quilt tucked up behind it.

I hope those answers help.
    Last edited by Cory Hess; 12-13-2018 at 15:38.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    UCR/Straps
    Thanks very much! Very helpful and specific. I can much better visualize what it's like to use, and its strengths/limitations.

Happy hanging!