Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12
    Suspension
    slap straps

Newb needs tarp ideas

OK so I ditched my tent for hammock camping. Im totally new to this. I already have a hammock, now im looking for a tarp. I want something relatively lightwieght with lots of coverage to fit gear and cook. Im on a tight budget. I was looking at the Guide Gear tarps but they dont have wieghts posted on the site. Any ideas?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultra Light
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10
    Insulation
    Army Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Webbing + Whoopies
    Howdy. I've been getting some good info from this active thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15082
    “the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth" - Chief Seattle

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I would say ... Check out the tarps from Backwoods Daydreamer. I don't own one but the value of these look great. Check them out.
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by questtrek View Post
    I would say ... Check out the tarps from Backwoods Daydreamer. I don't own one but the value of these look great. Check them out.
    +1 on that
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    you can get inexpensive rectangular nylon tarps from campmor.com... they're not Sil, but they're durable and cheap...

$20 for an 8x9.5 (barely big enough) , $40 for a 10x12 which with either trekking poles or local branches would work out well for lots of covered space, or maybe 2 people in the right location...

Add some clips or sew in webbing pullouts in the right spots and you could end up with a cheap, versatile tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I have a gear guide(GG) 12X12, with out poles, it's not a bad tarp but keep in mind you'll have to mod it if you want to pitch it other than on the diagonal because there are no tie outs in the center . The GG 12X12 w/poles does have center tie outs but it didn't seem as rugged as the one without poles so I sold it.The one w/o poles weights 31oz.

When I started hammock camping I thought it would be only a summer pursuit so I got a Claytor Diamond Fly http://www.mosquitohammock.com/ (scroll down the page for just the fly) for $50.00 including shipping. It works well in mild weather for my Hammock. But since in hammocking I'm suspended over the cold frozen ground I had a change of heart about winter camping so I bought the gear guide 12X12 $30+10s&h+$50 (for the Claytor)=$90. That $90 is more than halfway to the price of some mighty fine winter tarps like the; Speer Winter tarp, Macat deluxe, Backwoods daydreamer Winter Dream, Warbonnet Superfly, or many other quality silnylon tarps that are lighter than either tarps that I already own. If I had to do I over again I would Have gotten one of those because you can always pitch a large tarp loose for more ventilation in warm weather, but you can't pitch a small tarp to be weather tight in cold wet weather.

So.... to make a long story short, IMO, put your money into one larger good tarp up front! Happy hanging!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    If you are testing the waters, go cheap. A shower curtain from the dollar store, a blue tarp, a 2mm painters cloth, whatever, if it keeps water off ya.

If you are in and you're gonna do it no matter what - get what you think will get you through the worst conditions you'll camp in. Something of good quality that will last. Spend the money once, and don't monkey around settling for something cheap then end up upgrading. In sleeping bags/quilts, packs, and shelters, I think you spend more if you play around with all the cheapie "might work" solutions than if you just spend the money up front to get the good stuff.

I'm the sort of person who has good down quilts, the cadillac of hammocks, and good backpacks, alongside the dirt bag gear like ziploc screw tops and pepsi can stoves. I tend to be a very happy hiker.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    I have a gear guide(GG) 12X12, with out poles, it's not a bad tarp but keep in mind you'll have to mod it if you want to pitch it other than on the diagonal because there are no tie outs in the center .
    I have the same tarp and before I added ridgeline tie outs, I just set it up rectangularly with the exisiting tie outs and had a larger "porch" on one side. Good for summer camping, but wouldn't provide a lot of protection from the wind and cold without the mod.

The low price let me try out a large tarp to see if it would meet my needs without forking out a lot of cash.
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by bdpalace View Post
    I have the same tarp and before I added ridgeline tie outs, I just set it up rectangularly with the exisiting tie outs and had a larger "porch" on one side. Good for summer camping, but wouldn't provide a lot of protection from the wind and cold without the mod.

The low price let me try out a large tarp to see if it would meet my needs without forking out a lot of cash.
    I guess I should have said "You'll have to mod it if you want to pitch it in winter mode." My bad. Like I said it's not a bad tarp but, hindsight being 20/20, I should have went with one first rate tarp from the get go, that covered all my needs, instead of two lesser tarps. Because I'm going to end up buying a first rate tarp anyways. I feel that I was penny wise and pound foolish on my tarp purchases so far. But that's just my own experience.

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images

Gear Guide 12x12

Gear Guide 12x12 with mod. Lot of bang for the buck. Tried it out last weekend for snow camping. Worked well for me. Even in high winds. Kept the snow and most of the wind out. Working on closing up ends.
    Wind was so strong bent the figure 9 on my ridgeline. But the tarp held up well.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast