Dutch Half Zipped
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Lassen Volcanic National Park

So I just emailed the folks up at Lassen Volcanic National Park in way WAY northern California to see if they allow hammock camping in the areas with trees. I made sure to let them know that I was absolutely willing to explain all my gear as well as mention that I have 1inch and 2 inch tree huggers to avoid any tree damage and that nothing is fastened to the tree no glue, nails, screws or rope. Hopefully I'll hear back something soon though I have low expectations do to the holidays.

I hope they are cool with it, I just ordered a winter tarp from Dutchware gear, want to give it a work out in 2019.

So, has anyone here been up to Lassen? I know a lot of the really interesting stuff is only open from august to through october do to snow etc. I want to hike that peak!!!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    I have been there and have hammock camped in the backcountry. I did not ask, nor did anyone say anything. You do have to carry an approved bear canister in the backcountry.

If you want to hike Lassen Peak figure the earliest is June and the latest is October. I have tried 3 times over my lifetime and the trail has been closed all three times. I gave up and settled for summiting Cinder Cone. I have a 3 strikes you are out policy.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    When I lived in CA I exclusively backpacked in the Lassen Park area between North Twin lake and Snag lake for several years, twice a season. It was tenting then, before hammock enlightenment. Vast open Forrest out there, no under brush, very sandy, not like the roots and rock of New England. The trails are actually thought out, not random in direction or slope. Never very many people out there. But, ....no open fires....ever. It is a NATIONAL PARK. I never built a fire there. At that time it was a $280 fine for building a fire. Don't do it. Take a stove. That was widely respected, and the back country was prestine. Lake waters were crystal clear. No surface flowing water in mid to late summer.Bears are everywhere, food must be hung very well.

You need to pay. When you come in through the road gate/station you will get your back country pass. ($5 )You tell where you are going to camp. At that time, there were no designated sites, in the back country........ just restrictions where you could not camp. It is patrolled in the summer. If you do go in off hours, you will get cited with no permit. There are large car camp grounds, with toilets and water. I don't know what that costs now days, it was $8 per night in 1997.

Between Memorial and Labor day the back country is patrolled by park service, you might be stopped and asked to show a permit. Park rangers are also stationed out there at times, but you probably won't see them. It is possible to get way off trails to find a camp site though.

It is a magnificent place. I miss it.
    You will not be disappointed.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Images
    My road trip buddy and I were there a couple months ago. We didn't backpack this trip- we stayed at Manzanita Lake campground. I didn't hang on this trip but didn't see anything written to prohibit it- lots of trees in the camp area. Third week of October was very cold at night- days were beautiful. We didn't hike Mt. Lassen (though I wanted to badly) due to arriving from sea level, not having time to acclimate to the altitude, and being old and decrepit. I climbed it with my dad in 1972- the only hike we ever did together. Be aware that the major geothermal area Bumpass Hell is closed for several years for major reconstruction of trails, etc. The park was not crowded at this time. I want to go back!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Downy goodness
    Suspension
    webbing
    It is not an issue there.

• + New Posts