Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Awesome feedback guys, much appreciated.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Has she committed to hanging? I not, then it’s still perfectly doable to have her in a tent right next to your tarp. I’ve taken my daughters on two overnight backpacking trips and like you I was the pack mule. I carried a 3 person tens for them and set up my hammock right next to them. (I used to stay with them in the tent when they were younger and we car camped.)
    If your wife doesn’t want to hang, just get a small lightweight single person tent. With good sight selection you might be able to even have the door of her tent just under your tarp you two can converse or she can come out of the tent and be under the tarp when it’s raining.

Just another perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    Has she committed to hanging? I not, then it’s still perfectly doable to have her in a tent right next to your tarp. I’ve taken my daughters on two overnight backpacking trips and like you I was the pack mule. I carried a 3 person tens for them and set up my hammock right next to them. (I used to stay with them in the tent when they were younger and we car camped.)
    If your wife doesn’t want to hang, just get a small lightweight single person tent. With good sight selection you might be able to even have the door of her tent just under your tarp you two can converse or she can come out of the tent and be under the tarp when it’s raining.

Just another perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good question. My plan is to have her try it in the back yard or do a car camp first and bring a tent as an option (or put a pad in our van as a backup.) It only took one night for me to convert, so I plan to give her a few.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    BBanker, I took my wife on a trip through the Grand Canyon almost 10 years ago. 9 days of sleeping on the ground, she said she loved the trip, BUT if there was going to be any more refting trips, I would have to figure out some way to get up off the ground. That's when I discovered this site and I went all in. She did 4 more trips with me over the next few years, of up to 7 days each. At the time, it was quiet a novelty to the river guides and the other campers. Probably not so much any more. She said she has never slept like that while camping. Only 1 night did we have to go back on the ground because there were no trees at that night's camp site along the river. It's not just the sleeping, but the getting up/dpwn and getting dressed.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    10' SFOC
    I made the Sloth and Fox tent for this 1x hanger and 1 or 2x dogs and 1x ground dweller scenario.

Sloth-and-Fox-Colorado-46.jpg
    Chris Siebenaler
    Sloth and Fox Outdoor Company
    Amazon
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Website

thats what we do, wife like the tent and her big agnes 4" pad, I'm in my hammock near by
    www.3drcparts.com my company

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    BBanker, glad to hear your wife has beaten cancer!

My wife and I both have been sleeping in Ridgerunners and Superflys, but last week, I impulsively bought a double hammock at Wal-Mart. We had hiked Havasupai a couple years ago and we accidentally fell asleep in a Blackbird together and ended up spending the whole night in it. I wanted to see if a bigger hammock could improve on that experience, and boy did it ever!

When we set it up in the bedroom it really took us both by surprise. First, I swapped out the suspension for whoopies and a adjustable ridgeline. Then I rigged up a Spear Peapod as a full length underquilt and it fit perfectly. We both have Sea to Summit inflatable pillows and when we used those and a quilt in comforter mode, we both had 3 different positions where we were comfortable that we could alternate back and forth to (my wife discovered that my armpits are better warmers than down booties for her cold feet). The Ridgerunner excels in achieving the flattest lay while on your back, but every other position seems to be a compromise for me. I am a stomach sleeper, so I am always searching another position to revert to and can never quite find it in the Ridgerunner. So having 3 good sleeping positions got me excited, not to mention getting to sleep by my wife now.

A couple other pluses for the double hammock is that it can accomodate the whole family as a lounger. Our four kids (9, 5, 3 and 7 mos) all hopped in with us (500 lb weight limit) and we all hung out for 20 minutes or so. The two oldest stayed in it with me and did their homework, and later my wife and I watched a movie together in it (courtesy of the Hang Time Hook).

I haven't weighed everything yet, but when it comes to hiking, I think we'll come out ahead weight wise. We will be saving the weight of one complete setup (Ridgerunner, EE Quilt, Superfly and Lynx UQ). For the two of us, we'll only need the one hammock, one topquilt (EE 20 degree), the Peapod, and the Superfly with poles.

The complaints I do have about the double hammock is the lack of a bug net, and the fabric really digs into my legs when I am getting out of the hammock. If anybody knows of a quality double hammock with a bugnet, let me know. The only one I could find was on Amazon.

Although it is only a Wal-Mart hammock, I think it is going to become our go to hammock, unless this one with a bug net from Amazon accomplishes all the same things.
    Last edited by Spartacus19; 12-15-2018 at 07:10.
    Do what needs to be done when it needs doing.

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkSleeper View Post
    I use the dutchwear double chameleon. Before that my wife and I were ground sleepers. I find the double chameleon a little less comfortable, or more accurately a little harder to get comfortable in rather than a single hammock. That could be to the fact that there are two of us in one setup and every time one of us shifts the other one kind of shifts. But it also could be because I prefer to use pads in the hammock rather than underquilts (I find that they give me more back support and if I'm backpacking & find a camp without suitable trees for hammock then I can sleep on the ground) and they tend to slide around a little bit more. Maybe the double chameleon would be more comfortable with under quilts.
    Either way the double chameleon has made hammocking with two people much easier. Even when I go with my son. This is because we only have to find two trees that are spaced pretty well instead of three or four trees that are spaced well but close together. There has been a few times that we were backpacking and had we had our own hammocks we would not have been able to set up our hammocks close to each other. Also, if you get the double chameleon I highly recommend tree straps rather than whoopie slings. I find the whoopie slings very difficult to use with the double chameleon.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
    I think I'm missing something. I can't seem to find the Dutchware Double Chameleon. Are you referring to the wide version of the Chameleon, or does Dutch have an actual double hammock? I only ask, because I have just recently gotten interested in double hammocks and am looking for cottage vendor hammocks double hammocks, preferably with a bug net.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I believe the people are referring to this

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/double-dutch-bugnet/
    Last edited by Armadillo Hanger; 12-15-2018 at 17:27.

Hammock
    WBRR/WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo Hanger View Post
    I believe the people are referring to thi

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/double-dutch-bugnet/

Thanks for showing me!

That is amazing! I would love to try them out. I love sleeping by my wife as I mentioned earlier, but this looks awesome too! This would be the perfect setup when camping with a younger kid that isn't self sufficient yet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast