Tarp
    DIY Sil PolyPU4000
    Insulation
    DIY KARO
    Suspension
    UCR

Membrane 10 vs 1.0 calandered hyper D

Hi all,
    From your experience and testing was has a better wind water resistant Membrane 10 or calandered hyper D? I know that M10 has a better down proof rating is it safe to say that it would be more wind resistant as well? Trying to decide for an under quilt. I guess we should also add Dutches light weight argon 67 into the mix. Thanks all!

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I prefer M10:
    HyperD 1.0 is really only for a budget quilt/beater synthetic IMO. If you're making a decent down piece use true shell material. Part of a nice quilt packing up is the shell itself and Membrane is much less bulky on it's own.

If I was looking for more durability I'd buy M15 over HyperD.

Argon .67 taffeta finish is the closest comparison but I've always liked M50 by thru-hiker. Kyle's version slotted in fine for me and since it ain't broke I didn't bother trying to fix it when Dutch offered something close enough.

I agree w/Bill, especially for a down quilt. I'd probably do M15 for the extra durability and it being slightly easier to work with than M10. I've used calendered HyperD for down TQ's and UQ's and have found it loses down a little more readily than I'd prefer besides not offering much over M10/15 than price.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY Sil PolyPU4000
    Insulation
    DIY KARO
    Suspension
    UCR
    What about for wind/water resistants? I appreciate all the input thus far! Makes sense.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Wouldn't recommend it fer down, but myself and a few others have used my primaloft gold FKT quilts with no other shelter in summer, including sleeping in the rain with no other shelter. With a 45* quilt and temps typically 60's and up it's a doable speed hiking option especially with an inflatable pad that will get you off the ground.

It's only DWR and will eventually fade, but it's actually mildly difficult to wash these quilts and I find it easier to spot wash them rather than try to dunk them in a tub.

While many feel this .67 ounce stuff is wispy... it's basically the exact same material used to make UL wind shell jackets. It's what people use for splash bivies designed to be used with SUL tarps for ground dwellers too. (more where I come from and my overall experience with it.)

It's not waterproof or waterproof breathable... but provided you got a decent tarp I wouldn't think twice about the odd splash and less about wind. Wind will result in convective heat loss, but it won't go whistling through this stuff. If anything; some complain it can be a bit clammy feeling when brand new in quilts, and even a few have commented on that issue on the few hammocks I've built from M10.

Honestly- pretty no-brainer choice.
    About all I would suggest... if you're the type who prefers to stealth camp and sets up in brush (rather than cleared sites) then I'd bump up to M15 for a little more durability in rough conditions.

• + New Posts