Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    Pictures will be up tomorrow. A friend took the pics and has to upload them to their pc.

So I had a little wine before going to sleep in my ENO. I climbed in and got comfy. It is amazing how many different positions you can sleep in a hammock and be comfy. At first I was laying so that I was looking out over the lake and it was SO PEACEFUL! I closed my eyes and after a minute or two got sea sick from the rocking. Opened my eyes to realize I wasn't rocking anymore it was the wine that had me "rocking" So I told myself "Its just the booze" I repositioned a few times. Actually a few dozen times and finally settled on the fetal position, as that is how I fall asleep at home. I fell right to sleep. The bugs kinda kept ...well -bugging me...so I pulled my sleeping bag over me and was fine. It wasn't too hot. The breeze under the hammock felt like an AC! It was nice! Everyone complained about sweating this morning and I slept like a baby. My hips didn't hurt nor did my back! I am hooked. HOWEVER...

I have decieded to defect from the ENO hammock to a Hennessy. For more than 1 reason.

1. The ENO was just to try out hammocking with the possibility of upgrading. I like the ENO but, now want to upgrade.

2. My partner ,after almost forcibly inserting her, tried the hammock and now is the proud new owner of the ENO. ALTHOUGH upon trying it she was yapping "I hate it already, I dont want to try it, its stupid" "There Im in it, I HATE IT. I don't like this SWINGING back and forth all the time.*so I stopped it from swinging*" 10 minutes later I realized she was still swinging in it with her leg dangling to keep up momentum.

3. Though having a bug bivy will be versatile I just don't see myself wanting to deal with it after a day of hiking.

4. Im too lazy to deal with making a ridgeline. HH HAVE them already!

5. The slap straps are WONDERFUL but, I wish they were attached.

So basically within a month or so I am going to start scouting ebay and the for sale threads for a HH. I am still going to use my MacCat Standard.

All and All I like the ENO but, am seeing the convenience of a HH for my style of sleeping. I love options but, comfort/convenience is where its at when it comes to sleep.
    The hammock is not always greener on the other side. Or was that grass?
    I used to think that Hennessy ruled all hammocks and that was the end of it. I still own 2 and like them alot. I have since learned that my homemade hammock is maybe even more comfy. My Speer hammock is nice also. I've layed in an Eno before and it felt like my other hammocks. Real nice.

A bug bivy on an Eno would be nothing hard to deal with if it were put on the hammock prior to your trip or used with snakeskins.
    Nothing could be easier than making a ridgeline. Find the sag you want and tie two knots.
    If you try the ring/buckle sytem with webbing you can keep it attached.
    Of course this is info. you might want to share with your friend who now owns the ENO.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    I forgot to mention the deal breaker with the ENO. Wrestling with the sleepingbag to get in. I thought about having a pad, bag, and underquilt. The thought of dealing with all that turned me off.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStar View Post
    I thought about having a pad, bag, and underquilt. The thought of dealing with all that turned me off.
    So, you don't think you'll have to deal with any of those with a HH??

From what I'm hearing, you've simply decided that you don't want to have a top-loading hammock any longer, which is fine. Most people here seem to start with a bottom-loader and then later progress to a top-loader, but it takes different things to suit different people. Good luck.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Rockstar, you're going to Blackie's hangout aren't you? That's only a few weeks away and it'd be a shame to not take advantage of that before you commit to a more expensive hammock. I'm sure there will be several different types for you to try before you buy. I'll be there with my Warbonnet on and you're welcome to try that out. I'm sure there will be an HH or two there and you can do a direct comparison between the HH and all the others. Just a thought.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I have an HH that I can bring on the trip. You're welcome to give it a test run to see if you like sleeping in it overnight.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    learning how to deal w/ something new & different is something you'll have to do w/ the hh or any hammock.
    it just takes a little thought & patients, learning to think differently as you sit on a pad & pivot & move you & the pad around etc.
    same w/ learning to understand the basics of using an under quilt.
    if you're willing to work through the learning process, you'll be glad you did.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Duff
    Suspension
    Webbing, biners.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    So, you don't think you'll have to deal with any of those with a HH??

From what I'm hearing, you've simply decided that you don't want to have a top-loading hammock any longer, which is fine. Most people here seem to start with a bottom-loader and then later progress to a top-loader, but it takes different things to suit different people. Good luck.
    My sleepingbag wrestling was amusing. However the sleepingbag falling OUT of the hammock was not. All I could imagine is my new down overquilt falling onto the wet ground! Id rather wrestle gear intombed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Rockstar, you're going to Blackie's hangout aren't you? That's only a few weeks away and it'd be a shame to not take advantage of that before you commit to a more expensive hammock. I'm sure there will be several different types for you to try before you buy. I'll be there with my Warbonnet on and you're welcome to try that out. I'm sure there will be an HH or two there and you can do a direct comparison between the HH and all the others. Just a thought.
    Yes I am. Looking fwd to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I have an HH that I can bring on the trip. You're welcome to give it a test run to see if you like sleeping in it overnight.
    That'd be great!Thanks! Looking fwd to meeting you!

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    learning how to deal w/ something new & different is something you'll have to do w/ the hh or any hammock.
    it just takes a little thought & patients, learning to think differently as you sit on a pad & pivot & move you & the pad around etc.
    same w/ learning to understand the basics of using an under quilt.
    if you're willing to work through the learning process, you'll be glad you did.
    This I know. I just am thinking about things in the mindset of I have around 8 months to aquaint myself and get use to this setup. I also can't go on as many trips or practice hikes as I want to. I have laid in Blackies HH and it was very nice! I was impressed! Money isn't the issue right now. As I have a tarp and will go with the cheapest HH, if I get one. I already have to undertake 2 sewing projects (overquilt and underquilt) and have yet to do my practice sewing. I am really busy. So My thought is if worse came to worse I am willing to wrestle the gear on the inside knowing it won't fall OUT onto wet ground.

Like I said, I still have my ENO. I will still have it. Someone else will just use it when we go camping.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...s&cutoffdate=1

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
    -Churchill

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpiorising80/

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i do understand that problem w/ quilts & pillows falling out of the hammock, especially when you're getting in & out.
    most of the time now, i'm pretty good about taking hold of both of those things when i get in or out, but occasional it can still happen.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'll pack the HH tonight.

Use the ENO as a gear hammock on your thru if you can't get rid of it prior to then; it would make a perfect back-up if something happens to your primary. I've been playing with that idea for a couple of weeks and it works pretty good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast