11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I started with the standard and found it to be too skimpy on coverage. While some say the Standard coverage is fine if you use site selection and pitch the tarp really low, I did not find that to be the case. The Palace just has a lot more weather coverage without jumping through hoops to try to get the standard to cover you.
    Well Said SilverSurfr! I have the standard and I nick named it "SKIMPY!" because that is the best way to describe it.I've had it in rain but never blowing rain and boy am I glad the wind was not blowing.

Here's what my take on the tarp is.It doesn't matter how low you pitch it to your hammock,there's just not enough side coverage.If you pull the sides in tight to protect the hammock and quilt(yes I use a UQ always) then you get some,but not quite enough,wind protection.I am literally at arm's length from the bottom edge of the tarp while laying in the hammock with it low and tight as I can get it.

If you pull the sides out as wide as possible then the hammock and quilt are really exposed to the wind.That said,I have read more than one account of people who have used the standard quite a bit with good results but I sure don't see how.

My recommendation would be to pay the little extra and go first class with the WP but make sure you get it in camo as that translucent one offers little privacy and turns into a greenhouse in warm weather.

I will make one positive comment about the standard though-it does not weigh much but my HG Quest only weighs a few ounces more and it is a foot longer and wider.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Standard

Palace

In the pics, the standard is hung so low it's only about an inch or so above my hammock ridge line. Hardly any head room and not a lot of coverage on the sides. The palace is hung with plenty of head room and ample side coverage.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    Sweet, fancy, Moses! Game...Ballpark...that's not even the same sport!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Personally I think either is fine and there are arguments for both. I chose the standard with doors to shave some weight, less bulk and a bit less $$. You could also argue of course there isn’t a huge difference in weight, bulk or cost but those were part of my decision as I planned to (and did) longer hikes.
    I had a lot of rain during 3 weeks on the Mountains to Sea trail and my hammock and UQ stayed dry so I feel like it is pretty battle tested.

On the flip side, I get the draw of the larger tarp. I have a Superfly and if weight isn’t a concern I’ll grab that if it’s going to be really wet or for winter camping.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Being 5' 11'', I despise ducking too low. This is mostly because I am not an avid backpacker/camper.

The 11' Superfly is similar to the WP. I haven't experienced a wet underquilt even when hung high above the hammock. Even during downpours, I can keep the tarp slightly high for a relaxing time having dinner on my Helinox Zero.

If I were 6'' shorter, then I'd really consider a 10' Standard tarp and a 10' hammock. Heck, if I can find a comfortable 10' hammock, then I'd seriously consider getting the standard Hammockgear dyneema tarp.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    If my HG cuben Standard were the same width as my HG Quest,then I would know I have a great tarp.It's not and I don't so I use an 11 foot WB Superfly 20d as my foul weather tarp.As configured it's about 10.5 oz. more to carry but worth it IMHO.HG Quest 12ft. is my all around goto tarp tho. as it's a more than adequate shelter.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I started with the standard and found it to be too skimpy on coverage. While some say the Standard coverage is fine if you use site selection and pitch the tarp really low, I did not find that to be the case. The Palace just has a lot more weather coverage without jumping through hoops to try to get the standard to cover you.
    100% correct. If you are going to spend for a CF tarp, spend wisely and get the Palace.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Standard w/doors has really decent coverage, but the crappier the weather — cold, wind and rain — the Palace is going to win.

I just recently got a Palace and have spent only 2 nights under it so far and one of them was fairly windy. I'm pretty sure the Std would have left me with some drafts/cold on the backside, while the much better wind blocking by the Palace made a difference. When you think about the additional weight/volume of a UQP to counter that, it begins to level out the balance sheet between Std with UQP and the Palace.

Also, although the bulk of DCF is often mentioned, I find the palace folds/rolls up compactly enough to fit with absolutely no problem inside my old-school 52L Arc Blast along with quilts and all other gear (incl down parka and down pants). My experience with DCF and snakeskins, however, is that the skins vastly increase bulk, so not the way to go if space is critical.

Trekking poles really help to increase the interior volume with no additional weight.

HG_Winter_Palace_01_small.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Also, although the bulk of DCF is often mentioned, I find the palace folds/rolls up compactly enough to fit with absolutely no problem inside my old-school 52L Arc Blast along with quilts and all other gear (incl down parka and down pants). My experience with DCF and snakeskins, however, is that the skins vastly increase bulk, so not the way to go if space is critical.

When I first got my HG cuben fiber tarp, I thought, "No way I'm using snakeskins on this baby." So I just used three pieces of velcro to roll it up. However, it was a royal pain in the butt. I'd roll the tarp up, and while I was trying to get the velcro around the tarp, the tarp would unroll and I'd have to start over again. After four or five trips of that nonsense, I got some cuben fiber snakeskins. I don't mind the additional bulk - the tarp still fits fine in my pack's outside pocket.

Once you get used to snakeskins, it's hard to do without them. I definitely don't have the patience for rolling the tarp up without snakeskins, and trying to fold a tarp in high winds would most assuredly put me in a mental hospital.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    I backpack with both. If I could only have one, it would definitely be the WP for most of the
    reasons given above.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast