Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I used to have a few dogbones, but found that continuous loops can do anything a dogbone can do, are easier to splice and just have more utility.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I used to have a few dogbones, but found that continuous loops can do anything a dogbone can do, are easier to splice and just have more utility.
    This is my experience too. Plus the continuous loops wear better - the dog bone compression points are always the same area, but when using the continuous loop the compression points are all 360 degrees.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    This is my experience too. Plus the continuous loops wear better - the dog bone compression points are always the same area, but when using the continuous loop the compression points are all 360 degrees.
    Yep, never had a continuous loop wear out or fail, but I've noticed that several of my dogbones failed and I've seen others have an issue.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD 10' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    EE Quilt/XTherm
    Suspension
    Spiders + J Bend
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I carry one 6' dogbone and a few times it has really saved the day.
    If only one dogbone is used, doesn't that complicate the hammock setup? For some reason, I thought dogbones were only used in pairs.

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Kvlr/Amstl-J-bend
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    If only one dogbone is used, doesn't that complicate the hammock setup? For some reason, I thought dogbones were only used in pairs.
    So far I've not encountered a situation that could not be addressed with the one dogbone, usually one fat tree and one skinny tree nearby. Nothing says you have to use them in pairs. Very location dependent, of course... those in the PNW "Land O' Giants" have their own ways to deal with their unique problems that we don't have here in the NE.

Quite often I've attached suspension to trees using a sewn strap loop, sometimes an Evo loop or rarely the dog bone if it's a very large tree, while using a slipped buntline hitch on the other end to take up slack for a skinny tree.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

Hammock
    DIY Options
    Tarp
    DIY Options
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Yes.. too many
    Images
    Dog bones.. not just for suspension..

I carry at least two.. one six foot amsteel and one six foot Zing It.. or Dynaglide. I keep them hung on an amsteel soft shackle on my pack outside. I also carry a longer Zing It dog bone in my suspension kit as a spare guy line. Not sure, but I think it's a ten footer. I don't carry a whoopie or ucr any more so having the dog bones gives me some extra length if needed. Six footer can be doubled or tripled over itself to shorten it if you need less length.

I've also used the Zing It to extend a guy line that comes up just short of a perfect anchor point. Put a MSH in one line and loop the dog bone over the toggle; Also used the dog bone to replace a lost pack tree hanger; I've laced it into a panel pull to gain some room when choosing to not carry a tarp pole; Lashed a fire grate to the outside of my pack and also lashed a partners gear to my pack after a health issue prevented him from carrying full load.

The uses are limited only by your imagination.

I don't think i have ever used them in pairs..

You wonder why I love to sleep alone, in the woods, in a hammock.. I wonder why you don't...

Hammock
    SLD 10' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    EE Quilt/XTherm
    Suspension
    Spiders + J Bend
    My plan is to add at least one dog bone to my backpack. Three years ago I switched from a tent to hammock. Thought the hammock kit would be perfected and written in stone by now. Amazed by how much there still is to know.

Appreciate the helpful responses to this post.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWL-tq HG-u
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    I always carry a 10" and 20" dogbone in the mid-Appalachian region. (Ohio-KY, WV, Va). Though not for the way you are thinking. I use a Hummingbird style strap that minimizes the strap length. I use the dogbone on the few larger trees I may come across to lengthen the strap to finish the wrap around the tree.
    To each their own but......

I have discovered that a very long soft shackle about 10 to 12 inches is far more useful and not much more weight. I carry 3 diff sizes and styles - I have lashit ones and 7/64th ones.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

• + New Posts