HG Netted
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    HG Inc. Econ 20
    Suspension
    Tree Strap, Becket

Incubator Econ 20, first night out

I got my Econ 20 out for its first overnight, last night. I'm using it under an Outdoor Vitals 9' hammock, which I know is undersized. I had an AEGISMAX ultralight sleeping bag, rated for 35degF. I was wearing my regular boxer briefs, hiking pants, fitsok wool socks, smartwool ski socks, long sleeve t-shirt, short sleeve t-shirt and hooded puffy jacket.

This all felt toasty warm until early this morning when temps dropped below 40degF and wind chills got into the mid-30s. I felt cold, even from underneath. It wasn't extensive; mostly concentrated at my thighs/buttocks. I got up and tried to snug the UQ and the collars.

Also noteworthy, is that I made multiple adjustments to try to get my head-end lower. I felt like I was sliding down to the foot-end of the hammock.

Is my expectation to be warm in these conditions misguided? Do I likely have some adjusting to do? 20181219 - campsite.jpg
    20181219 - fire.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 0* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'll let the pros chime in here, but my first thoughts are that the hammock was too short to properly snug up the collars on the UQ or the UQ was adjusted incorrectly. Shug has some really great videos on how to properly adjust an UQ- there is definitely a learning curve to it.

Hammock
    HG Netted
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    HG Inc. Econ 20
    Suspension
    Tree Strap, Becket
    Shug has a video on adjusting this particular UQ. I've watched it a dozen times.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    +1 on the too short hammock.
    I have 30 deg Econ UQ and a 30 deg TQ that I used down to 25 deg two weeks ago. Toasty warm on my 11 ft hammock.
    JMHO, YMMV.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is the afore mentioned video.
    It should help you get better set.
    At least I hope so....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I believe most cottage vendors set their primary suspension for an 11' hammock. The fact that you are using a short hammock would most likely cause issues with the fit of your underquilt. +1 on watching Shug's videos on the topic. Also, it's a bit hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like the draft collars on your UQ are not tucked inside. That could also cause drafts from underneath.
    Last edited by rweb82; 12-20-2018 at 12:51.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingKansas View Post
    Shug has a video on adjusting this particular UQ. I've watched it a dozen times.
    Well, then I am guessing you know how to adjust it correctly.

There should be no problem with the hammock length unless the UQ is actually longer than the hammock, highly unlikely unless it is a bridge hammock. And as long as you are able to close the UQ up adequately on the ends(But not TOO tight!). A 9 ft hammock should still be several feet longer than your UQ, that should be long enough seems to me. ( UNLESS: if the UQ suspension is too long for you to adjust the tension enough to lift your unoccupied hammock? Check for that. If too long you may have to do some suspension mods)

The truth is, there have been a huge # of threads over the years where people are cold 10 or 20F above their UQs rating. They can be tricky beasts, and close will not do, there must be NO gaps and NO drafts. Certainly too loose will cause gaps, but apparently too tight can be an issue as well.

I would say first thing to look for- assuming you have a dif cut UQ which you do- is to make sure the MAIN suspension is tight enough so that the UQ lifts the unoccupied hammock a noticeable amount. But I'm sure you know all of this all ready, from Shug's videos, so I won't go there any further.

But you mentioned wind? Did you have the wind totally blocked by a tarp or some other barrier? Wind can easily suck the warmed up air right out of any UQ if it is not well blocked by a tarp or UQP. It can easily move the lower limit for a 20F UQ up to 40 or 50.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-20-2018 at 14:58.

Hammock
    HG Netted
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    HG Inc. Econ 20
    Suspension
    Tree Strap, Becket
    Thanks for the input. I will attempt to shorten the primary suspension significantly.

The wind was largely not blocked by my tarp. I recently got a Chill Gorilla Fortress (with doors). I didn't take it because I had never hung it. I'm sure it would have kept me warmer.

Images
    Thanks for the input. I will attempt to shorten the primary suspension significantly.

The wind was largely not blocked by my tarp. I recently got a Chill Gorilla Fortress (with doors). I didn't take it because I had never hung it. I'm sure it would have kept me warmer.
    Well that is most likely your problem then. Most UQs are way breathable- you can blow or breath right through them. Also, down can be compressed and lose it's insulation with every wind gust. Wind can absolutely destroy you, and that is before it even starts blowing rain and snow onto your UQ! All of these systems require taps or UQ protectors(even better at blocking wind IMO) unless there is NO wind. The only system that comes with this already taken care of- far as I know- is the HH Super Shelter, where a wind and water proof under cover is part of the system, built in. Already accounted for in cost, bulk and weight. But, a large enough tarp and/or sheltered hang sites gets the job done for most of us, most of the time. I'm sure you will sleep warmer once you start using the tarp.

That, and just tighten that main suspension up enough to lift your hammock a few inches or more, and I bet you will be toasty!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Definitely shorten the suspension by tying a knot or two.

Don't expect a tarp to add warmth - it will just keep the wind from robbing warmth from your quilts. I'd also be a bit wary about the ability of that Chill Gorilla Fortress to keep you dry. At a recent hang, it rained five inches overnight. A hanger with the Chill Gorilla Fortress found the tarp leaked like a sieve not two hours into the storm. Luckily, someone was able to loan her a more waterproof tarp and she survived the night. But what would you expect from a cheap Chinese Amazon tarp? How much did you pay for it?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast