Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Images
    For the UQ: I wonder how well it would work if you replaced the the windshield reflector with another layer of IX?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    ... replace the the windshield reflector with another layer of IX?
    Use InsulTubes in that IX layer, and I bet it will outperform the reflector in a big way!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL Travel
    Tarp
    cat-e-nary-cut
    Insulation
    bearskin rug
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    The Insultex looks good!

Insultex 1x does not appear to be sold as yardage, only as finished products.

The retailers in Oregon, where I am right now, are sporting goods, and like that.

How were you able to purchase yardage? Are you a wholesaler?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    PM sent to Connie.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    And finally - here's a warning about how slippery amsteel blue is. These are whoopie slings I made but hadn't secured to the hammock properly (double sheet bend, not backed up enough) - and my poor friend Steve on the ground when it let go! He was very forgiving, but it was a good reminder to make sure the hammock attachment to the line is very well done.

Attachment 9950
    That amsteel blue is extreamly slippery. I have it on my Clark and had it connected by running it through the end channel of the hammock and secured with a bowline knot. (this is what Clark recommends too) I'd also put a knot at the end of the rope coming out of the bowline. One night I heard a loud pop, checked all my knots the next morning and one of my bowlines had slipped. The only reason I didn't hit the deck was because of that little knot on the end of the rope.

I've now pulled the amsteel blue off the Clark and spliced a locked brummel to that end of the rope. Put it back through the channel & NO knots!!!

Enjoyed your Top Quilt making. VERY nice quilt Something that I've found with my summer TQ is that I can use it for lower temps than what it's rated for by using more insulation "under" me. It sounds like you too are finding this out also.

Question: I probably missed this somewhere in your post, the material you made the top/bottom layers from, is it DWR or breathable?

Loved the tree house!!

TinaLouise

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    Enjoyed your Top Quilt making. VERY nice quilt Something that I've found with my summer TQ is that I can use it for lower temps than what it's rated for by using more insulation "under" me. It sounds like you too are finding this out also.
    Thanks.

Yup, exactly how it worked for me. Just needed more under insulation. I do, however, believe it was the IX overcover that significantly boosted the effectiveness of the 3oz Climashield.

Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    Question: I probably missed this somewhere in your post, the material you made the top/bottom layers from, is it DWR or breathable?
    All shell material was 30d, uncoated material.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Is Climashield superior to Primaloft for a 3 season TQ or UQ application? How does it really compare, warmth to weight to down. I've seen a number of comparisons between various synthetics, but so far, I haven't found an objective synthetic to down warmth comparison.

For sure its got to be easier to work with synthetics, probably a lot cheaper too. The Chief of the sewing department in this house says don't DIY with down because its too hard to get consistent results, plus its a royal mess.

She's a pro and knows her stuff, but I'm sure there are other opinions and recommendations out there in HF land.

The advantages of synthetics are appealing, but being a cold sleeper, I worry that the hinter parts are going to shiver with synthetics.

I need some experienced advise on this.

2.5 oz climashield XP is good to roughly 45dF
    3.7 oz is good to 35dF
    5 oz is good to about 25dF

Of course that depends a lot on how you sleep, bottom insulation or
    pad if on the ground. For a cold sleeper that could be 50,40,30 etc.

You do not have to stabilize climashield, IE you can just sew it around the edges
    but stabilizing it wouldnt hurt anything.

You do have to stabilize primaloft.

Primaloft is generally know as the closest thing to synthetic down, but I have never used it. It is supposed to be good insulation and very compactable.

In general Climasheild XP is roughly worth about 550 or 600 loft down as to weight per warmth ratio.

If you need more info go to Backpacking light and PM Tim Marshall.
    He builds all sort of equipment and knows a lot more than me about climashield.
    He is the guy that built the down/cuben quilt.

He also has a website where he builds Eq.

My setup is a Golite ultra 20 for 3 season and a 2.5 oz climasheild topper that extends the ultra 20 down to 5 or 10dF and serves as a summer quilt. IMO the ultra 20 is really nice and it is super light at 21 oz for a long. I slept under it alone at 14dF and was warm all night.

I have worked with down and its a real mess. Best way is to work with it inside a tent.
    I think Tim uses a wet vac somehow to fill baffles, but after trying it years ago, I will leave that to someone else.

Hi Tammons,
    Thanks for the answer. That's very helpful. My experience is pretty dated and it seems like the fabrics have really improved. Certainly the compressibility has really improved and probably the insulating performance too.

I've had different synthetic gear in the past and have a good quality primaloft jacket that's about 10 years old. It was supposed to be "as warm as down", but I've just never found that to be the case. My experience has led me to be a bit skeptical about synthetics generally.

Sounds like its time to re-think.

It must have been Tim Marshall I ran across in one of my searches on this topic. He wrote a fantastic response to a question on comparing various synthetics - really knew his stuff.

thanks again.

Tim Marshall knows what he is talking about when it comes to making gear.

I think the ultra 20 is about as good as it gets, but about $200. You can occasionally find them for less.

If I am in really humid weather for days or well below freezing for days, I would personally prefer to have synthetic. Freezing due to frozen condensation buildup.
    I have been in some really cold weather, but never AK winter type weather where
    frozen condensation becomes a problem. Of course a synthetic topper is a solution to
    frozen condensation.

Here is Tims web site.

http://enlightenedequipment.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345