Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Problem Setting Up My New Blackbird XLC

I recently purchased a Blackbird XLC on Black Friday and set it up in my backyard where I had my other hammock hanging between two trees. For some reason I cannot seem to get a good comfortable lay in it no matter what I do. I set it up just like the instructions said to with the foot end closer to the tree and about 16 inches above head end. My trees are about 16 feet a part and the ridgeline seems to have about the right tension. I have tried lowering the foot end down as far as being level with the head end and nothing seems to help. When I get in the hammock it seems like the hammock is not wide enough for my height. My other hammock is 72" wide and feels good. I am 6'4" and weight 260 lbs. It always seems like the hammock and bug net on the side I get in are pressing hard into my head and shoulder and the top layer of nylon on the double layer bottom always seems to hang out making it difficult to zip the bug net closed. My feet feel cramped and I have some calf ridge pressure as well. What am I doing wrong and what could I do to correct the problem? I have been looking forward to this being the perfect hammock for me.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Without pictures, it's hard to determine what the problem may be. But make sure you're laying the proper direction. If you're using the tie outs on the bug net, it should be well away from your head. The BBXLC has a reversible net that allows you to lay in either direction (head left or head right). I believe it comes set up for head left/feet right out of the box.

I've never owned one, but I know the BBXLC can be a bit more finicky to find the sweet spot. But once people find it, most of them love it. Perhaps you can post some pictures of how your hammock is hung, and some with you laying in it. That will help us better see what's going on.

With my 3 year old double layer 1.1 XLC, in order to get the most comfortable lay, I set it up a little tight, so you can barely move the ridgeline. Then, if I lay with my feet at 2:00 o’clock, there is no calf ridge. That being said, with your size and weight, you may not be able to achieve this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Although there are people your size who use an XLC successfully, you might simply be too tall to get completely comfortable.

Which XLC do you have? If you have the single layer, it might have a bit too much stretch.

Other than that, the most important rules to find the sweet spot for me are:

• Hang the head end low enough so that you can lie with your feet at about the height of the tip of the footbox triangle. Since you are very tall, this might mean hanging it lower than somebody shorter.
    • Try hanging the XLC with a tighter ridgeline. This makes it noticeably more comfortable to me. If it doesn't help, try a less tight ridgeline.
    • Try lying more inline. The XLC has very little sag, so it's not necessary to lie as diagonal as other hammocks to get a flat lay.
    • Maybe try a different hanging spot, with trees closer together. Sometimes a location makes it harder to get a good hang.

Good luck.

I have the heavyweight double layer.

I also forgot to ask if you had to stake the bugnet out on the sides to make it have a good lay. I haven't done that yet. It seems like you shouldn't have to in case you wanted to lay in it without any cover on.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qualitypro View Post
    I also forgot to ask if you had to stake the bugnet out on the sides to make it have a good lay. I haven't done that yet. It seems like you shouldn't have to in case you wanted to lay in it without any cover on.
    Staking out the net doesn't do anything to the lay. It only keeps the net out of your face and the shelf from bumping into your side when loaded.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qualitypro View Post
    I recently purchased a Blackbird XLC on Black Friday and set it up in my backyard where I had my other hammock hanging between two trees. For some reason I cannot seem to get a good comfortable lay in it no matter what I do. I set it up just like the instructions said to with the foot end closer to the tree and about 16 inches above head end. My trees are about 16 feet a part and the ridgeline seems to have about the right tension. I have tried lowering the foot end down as far as being level with the head end and nothing seems to help. When I get in the hammock it seems like the hammock is not wide enough for my height. My other hammock is 72" wide and feels good. I am 6'4" and weight 260 lbs. It always seems like the hammock and bug net on the side I get in are pressing hard into my head and shoulder and the top layer of nylon on the double layer bottom always seems to hang out making it difficult to zip the bug net closed. My feet feel cramped and I have some calf ridge pressure as well. What am I doing wrong and what could I do to correct the problem? I have been looking forward to this being the perfect hammock for me.
    Is the ground level?
    How high is the foot end (inches)?
    How high is the head end (inches)?
    Can you sit in comfortably with just enough distance for your feet to touch the ground flat footed?
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    You might want to try a 12x6 hammock, and talk with the cottage vendor about what fabric is best for your weight. With a bigger hammock you should be more comfortable, but then you might need a bigger tarp and a bigger pack.
    Good luck in your search for hammock nirvana

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    foot end closer to the tree and about 16 inches above head end
    Seems like that would put the foot end way too high. I am 6ft2 and 280 lbs and have several BBs and 1 XLC. I must admit I find the regular BB's more comfortable than my XLC.

You will have to play around with the head vrs foot end height difference and how tight the hammock's structural ridge line is to determine what is comfortable for you. As for me, I worry more about getting the foot end just a few inches higher than the head end and making sure that the hammock is high enough that my feet just touch the ground when I sit in it. I never worry about the hammocks structural ridge line as I find it does not bother me if it is tight or loose. Also, I stopped staking out the sides of the hammock as I found the lines to be a nuisance when getting in and or out of the hammock. If I am hanging in spot for a couple of days I may stake out the shelf side.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast