Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chameleon or xlc

If you could only choose one to buy would you choose the dutchware chameleon with the sidecar or the warbonnet xlc with the integrated shelf. I currently have the dream hammock raven and am just looking to build on my inventory

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Both are great hammocks. Everyone will give valid reasons why they like one over the other, but really it just comes down to you hitting the button and ordering one.

To assuage my guilt when I order a hammock, I order a tarp from the other vendor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by Caudill18 View Post
    If you could only choose one to buy would you choose the dutchware chameleon with the sidecar or the warbonnet xlc with the integrated shelf. I currently have the dream hammock raven and am just looking to build on my inventory
    I got the Chameleon with the sidecar and peak shelf. There are so many options with the Chameleon you can customize it to fit your needs and take stuff off of you need it to be lighter for a particular trip. I looked at the Warbonnets and didn't see the versatility.

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

I have both and will give the nod to the Chameleon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 11
    Insulation
    HG/UGQ/EE/LL
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    I am biased because I own a wide Chameleon and it is a terrific hammock. I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite between it and my Dream Hammock Raven in 1.6 HyperD-XL. I do really like the 1.6 Hexon W fabric of my Chameleon and find it extremely comfortable for my 6'2" 260 lb self. I also like the variety of options available for the Chameleon. I have seen the Blackbird XLC, but never slept in one, and it looks like a very well designed and very well made hammock. You probably would not regret choosing either one.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    UCR/Straps
    In any choice between good things, I start asking myself a lot of questions. In this case the questions might go something like "How will I use this hammock (backpacking, car camping, or lounging)? What's missing from my current hammock that makes me want another? What attributes are most important (e.g. modularity? storage? something else)? Which products are currently best in class in what I'm looking for?

Both of these hammocks are excellent choices for what they do well. Since some have already lauded the Chameleon, I'll try to balance that a bit. Having owned the original WBBB, I found Warbonnet's storage shelf exceptional - extremely easy to access and very spacious. IMO, nothing else on the market compares. It's a feature I still miss.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Both are fantastic hammocks, but I'd have to give the edge to the Chameleon. The Sidecar seems bigger than the shelf on the xlc and it stays even when/if you remove the bug net or top cover.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Ill vote XLC.

Ive owned both, both will be just fine for you assuming you order correct fabric and layers for your weight (I need either 2.4single or double layer lighter fabrics).

Ive sold my Chameleons and kept my XLC because I prefer the width of the XLC over the standard or wide Chameleons I owned.
    Its a small thing but I prefer the Net pullout location on the XLC.

Chameleon has tonnes of options but it came down to the fact that I didn't need anything beyond a little extra storage and the XLC shelf is sufficient for me.

This year I also discovered I really like using my XLC in "Chinook" mode with Net zipped directly to underquilt protector. Similar to using a netless hammock in a netted sock but in this case the sock has a shelf and tieouts pulling it away from you... absolutely love it (some people do not because you lose the footbox, didn't bother me personally).

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have both and use both.
    Both are very comfortable to me.
    Though I do prefer the WB bugnet as it sits way up off of my face with the pullouts to provide this. Also the zipper on XLC is smoother to zip in my opinion.
    The Chameleon has many options for storage and the hexon fabric is super comfortable.

You can't go wrong with either one. Like choosing Ford or Chevy. Or Buick or Chrysler. Or Porsche or Ferrari.

Just decide what features you like in either one and go for it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The Chameleon has too much sag for my taste. I have yet to find a hammock I sleep better in than the XLC, and that's including a lot of DIY hammocks. But tastes are different. If you can, try both.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast