Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Having a Hard Time Deciding on Temp Rating (40 or 30 degree)

I'm going to be buying a HG Econ Burrow over the next couple of days but keep going back and forth on what temp rating to get, and am looking for some insight to push me in the right direction. I totally get that temp ratings are very subjective and I certainly don't expect a definitive answer here...more just some suggestions.

I live in Ontario and camp all year round. I have a decent 15 degree bag I use for fall and early winter (I plan on getting a proper 10 or 0 top quilt later this year to replace it). The majority of my camping is done in the shoulder seasons but I also do a fair bit (about 10 nights) in the middle of summer. I tend to sleep cold as well. I find when the temps get below 45/50 I use my 15 degree bag and am very comfortable. I figure I can nest the new top quilt (30 or 40) with my 15 degree for deep winter use.

Has anyone used a 30 degree top quilt in warm summer months? I'm concerned it will be too hot and I'll get sweaty using it (although I know I can vent). The pro of the 30 is that it will get me down closer to the 30-40 temps without having to use my 15 degree bag/quilt. Since the majority of my use will be spring/fall/winter I'm leaning towards the 30 but I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that I won't get crazy hot in it in the middle of summer.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Having a 0° set, 20° set, 30° Phincubator and 40° Burrow, I still find myself wanting a 30° burrow. 10° doesn't sound like much, but there were SO many times where I wanted to push it and take the 40°...but glad I took the 20° every time. I think a 30 would have been perfect many nights. I seem to have a lot of trips with lows around 35-40.

As for summer, I don't know. I've taken the 40° and it worked well in the 50s approaching 60, but still a little uncomfortably warm. A 30 would have cooked me.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Hahah you had me sold on the 30 until I read your last sentence That is my concern exactly...

Hmm maybe a 40 degree with a couple ounces of overstuff would work for me?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have 40*, 20* and 0* quilts - those are the temp ratings that make sense for the temperatures I camp in. I've never seen much point in doing what I consider odd ratings - 50*, 30* and 10* quilts.

My first quilt set was a 20* set, so getting 40* and 0* quilts afterwards made sense.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It's hard to say. I have a 40+1 and it's nice, but I don't trust it as much on the low end as the others. That's a good thing on the warm nights though.

I think I'm still leaning towards the 30 for you unless we're talking a lot of warm nights (75-80° days where the low may be 55°, meaning 60s most of the night)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I would say most nights in the summer here are between 60-70 degrees.. I've used a 40 degree synthetic sleeping bag as my top quilt for the past few years and never really had an issue.....So many decisions lol! I totally get there is no perfect quilt....I guess I have to look at what the average temps are for me and base my decision on that....

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    OK, if you're talking actual lows of 60-70 that's crazy warm for me. That means the highs are probably 80 or better, and when you go to bed, say 10pm, it's still probably in the 70s. Ouch. 40° all the way then and dedicate it to mostly summer, some warmer spring/fall trips.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    get the 30

then for height of summer, just DIY a costco throw into a top quilt

Hammock
    DUTCH CHAMELEON
    Tarp
    DUTCH XENON HEX
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    BEETLE BUCKLES
    I am also in Ontario and I have a 0, 20, and just purchased a 40 degree mamba when they were on sale Black Friday. If I could do it over again I would save my money and use a Costco down throw instead of the Mamba. There doesn’t feel to be much of a difference there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Yes you will be too hot when it's hot.
    Your ability to vent is greatly reduced when the ambient air is warm... so while you can stick out an elbow in winter to cool off... in warm weather you end up having to expose half your body or more in patches and at some point it gets annoying and even turns to bad news if you get a hot night, sweat your gear... and then have a cold night the next day. About 20* differential between high and low is about what most quilts can handle spanning.

as a result... you'll find most folks end up with a three rating 'quiver'.

0/20/40 is the most common... but I like 10/30/50 personally.

45* synthetic for summer (and so I don't have to worry about moisture from sweat or the air).

30* covers me above freezing, 10* for below freezing and for true winter I can stack my 45* over either of the other two and get below zero for the few times a year I get out that cold.

One other 'problem' with venting in a Gathered End is that your top quilt isn't doing that much work overall since 2/3 of you is covered by your UQ... so your top quilt is less versatile in that regard.
    In a bridge... you can vent much easier and your top quilt functions over a wider range (like it does for ground dwellers).
    In a GE... you gotta adjust your UQ to truly spill heat and that can be annoying to deal with from inside the hammock and nowhere near as easy as flipping out a leg or pulling the quilt down to expose your shoulders.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast