Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TqUq and pad
    Suspension
    PhantomGrappler
    Each gear item you get will have a different weight rating. While we want a safety factor, there is not much use in going way over rating withó
    say straps when your whoopie sling at 1/8 and rated at 2500 pounds and your hammock rated at much less.
    Make sure you pick good trees
    Try to get close to a 30* angle of hang. Flat hang angles strung flat tight can cause multiples of body weight forces exerted on each end of suspension.
    Check hammock for wear and tear and runs in fabric and stressed end channel stitching. I think forest floor duff and twigs cause lots of wear on hammock fabricsóI never wear boots in hammock.
    I think you will be a pro in no timeólots of big men at our group hangs and here on Hammock Forums.
    If you are gonna backpack in, then weight and volume of each piece of gear is more important.
    If you are car camping, then it doesnít matter.

Some big men at our group hangs use 7/64 amsteel whoopie slings. You got it made in the shadeóhammock nirvana awaits...

Hammock
    Clark Flex180 or Dutch Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    diy Xenon sil
    Insulation
    diy down
    Suspension
    Cinch / webbing
    I'm around your weight range, started with the standard nylon straps and an ENO hammock and between strap stretch and the stretch in the hammock material I was durn near on the ground after a couple hours. Went to a different hammock material (hexon - Dutch) and 2" wide seatbelt tree straps and whoopies over the toggle. Nothing wrong with it - and achieved lower stretch.
    Now am using heavy duty 1500 # rated 1" wide polyester straps and cinch buckles. Me likey so far. In all honesty could probably go the 1" standard 1000# straps and be fine. That's my next change.
    Nylon materials will sag / stretch more than polyester materials so they say. I believe them.
    Niagara
    Last edited by Niagara; 12-28-2018 at 08:55.

Tarp
    Donít have one yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Niagara View Post
    I'm around your weight range, started with the standard nylon straps and an ENO hammock and between strap stretch and the stretch in the hammock material I was durn near on the ground after a couple hours. Went to a different hammock material (hexon - Dutch) and 2" wide seatbelt tree straps and whoopies over the toggle. Nothing wrong with it - and achieved lower stretch.
    Now am using heavy duty 1500 # rated 1" wide polyester straps and cinch buckles. Me likey so far. In all honesty could probably go the 1" standard 1000# straps and be fine. That's my next change.
    Nylon materials will sag / stretch more than polyester materials so they say. I believe them.
    Niagara
    Thatís good to hear. I want to make another hammock out of the 1.7oz Robic but donít have the cash. Iíve slept in my Walmart hammock several times and I havenít had an issue with stretch yet. But what kind of toggles are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD, DWG, WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD, DWG, WB, UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ, AHE, HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Images
    Don't want to step on toes, but in case he doesn't come back to answer... He said he's using cinch buckles, which likely means he's connecting the hammock to the cinch buckles using Amsteel loops - no toggle.
    "Necessity first mothered invention. Now invention has little ones of her own, and they look just like grandma." - E.B. White

• + New Posts