Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I tried Spider 2.0.It was fine until it got ropey and the beckit hitch did not hold and it got Difficult to pull the knot out after it slipped repeatedly.I salvaged the situation with a marlin spike hitch and titanium toggles and all was well.But I have settled on Spider Poly and Beetle Buckles as my goto suspension because it's more convenient and is only 14 grams more than my 2.0 suspension as configured.

One thing to consider is that Beetle Buckles work with Whoopies,CL's,Dogbones,etc and you can fine tune them almost instantly;plus I can hang the hammock and a gear hammock on the same Beetle Buckle.

Hammock
    Dutchware DL Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    LL SS Serrano 20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Knots with spider web 1.5

Gotcha so mixed results so far haha. Has anyone had any luck with "breaking the back" of the knot like Derek Hansen talks about is his Becket Hitch video?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Kokomo

To make becket hitch untie easily
    Make a small loop of zingit or lashit around hammockís continuous loop. When you tie becket hitch, be sure zingit loop is at end of continuous loop closest to tree.
    Before giving a yank to untie
    Pull small loop towards tree while at same time pulling becket bunny rabbit ear and free end at same time. In theory, this will cause hitch to slide away from end of continuous loop. And loosen your becket hitch.
    Please post to let us know if
    You understand what Iíve tried to describe
    And do Phantom guesses work from time to time, now I remember itís not my ideaóitís another Hammock Forums memberís idea!
    Also most slips of becket hitch are
    Tied knot wrong, usually tied a slipped half hitch on strap instead of becket hitch on continuous loop
    Or failed to tighten by pulling continuous loop towards hammock and pushing hitch snug with end of loop and
    Must pull bunny rabbit ear towards tree and also pull standing part of strap towards tree.
    Lots of ends that all must be pulled hard to dress becket hitch to be sure of knot sliding
    Good Luck
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 12-31-2018 at 19:32.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    To make becket hitch untie easily
    Make a small loop of zingit or lashit around hammockís continuous loop. When you tie becket hitch, be sure zingit loop is at end of continuous loop closest to tree.
    Before giving a yank to untie
    Pull small loop towards tree while at same time pulling becket bunny rabbit ear and free end at same time. In theory, this will cause hitch to slide away from end of continuous loop. And loosen your becket hitch.
    Please post to let us know if
    You understand what Iíve tried to describe
    And do Phantom guesses work from time to time, now I remember itís not my ideaóitís another Hammock Forums memberís idea!
    Also most slips of becket hitch are
    Tied knot wrong, usually tied a slipped half hitch on strap instead of becket hitch on continuous loop
    Or failed to tighten by pulling continuous loop towards hammock and pushing hitch snug with end of loop and
    Must pull bunny rabbit ear towards tree and also pull standing part of strap towards tree.
    Lots of ends that all must be pulled hard to dress becket hitch to be sure of knot sliding
    Good Luck
    I achieve the same thing (easy untying of the Becket) in a different way.

Instead of a CL at each end of the hammock, I use an improved soft shackle. I have the knot of the soft shackle at the point furthest from each hammock end. That way the Becket gets tied right under the soft shackle knot. To untie the Becket, I grab the shackle knot in one hand and the tail of the Becket in the other hand, and pull in opposite directions. It always comes apart very easily, even with Spider 1.5.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Kokomo
    Baka Dasai, you are getting more done or undone faster and with fewer added gizmos. This is greatness...
    Happy New Year

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    Mountain/MiniFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    Dynaweave, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    I achieve the same thing (easy untying of the Becket) in a different way.

Instead of a CL at each end of the hammock, I use an improved soft shackle. I have the knot of the soft shackle at the point furthest from each hammock end. That way the Becket gets tied right under the soft shackle knot. To untie the Becket, I grab the shackle knot in one hand and the tail of the Becket in the other hand, and pull in opposite directions. It always comes apart very easily, even with Spider 1.5.
    Nice idea!

Hammock
    Dutchware DL Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    LL SS Serrano 20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Hey everyone,

Thanks again for all of the input, I really like the idea of switching from a CL to an improved soft shackle. I've been watching a whole bunch of Jeff Myers videos about the use of a soft shackle in conjunction with the becket hitch and i'm excited to try out a few things. Plus this gives me an excuse to try to do some splicing on my own.

Phantom, I understand your instructions about putting a small loop of zing-it or lash-it onto the continuous loop to aid in untying the becket, also a good idea worth a try.

Now I just have to order some straps and some amsteel, if only I could stop second guessing Spider Web 1.5 vs Venom straps!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies

try both! you'll use the extra pair at some point.

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by onlysmallexplosions View Post

Now I just have to order some straps and some amsteel, if only I could stop second guessing Spider Web 1.5 vs Venom straps!
    I've not used Spider 1.5 but have used Venom quite a bit, and from the way others describe the handling of Spider 1.5 it sounds almost identical. I wouldn't fret over either one. In essence, both of them handle like cord, not straps.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12