DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

WA- Olympic National Park September

Can anyone give some info on trails in Olympic. Really considering a trip there mid September.

Looking for coastal hikes as well as alpine areas. Hanging would be great but I’ll make do if not possible.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Can anyone give some info on trails in Olympic. Really considering a trip there mid September.

Looking for coastal hikes as well as alpine areas. Hanging would be great but I’ll make do if not possible.
    Well, I can only report on the Hoh River Trail in the Olympics(ONP). Went there first week of September back in 2007. This was my 2nd backpacking(not counting short over nighters) trip using my hammock rather than a tent and pad on the ground, with the first one the year before in the Wind Rivers in WY.

The trail started among gigantic trees at about 900 ft elevation, and gained very little elevation for the next 10 miles or so. At the end of that 10 miles, the trail climbs STEEPLY either to the left for 4000 feet or so to the High Divide(if weather is clear, spectacular views across to the glaciers) or climbs to the right 4000 ft to the foot of the Blue Glacier. Though the trees were enormous, I was able to find trees small enough to get straps around and hang the entire trip. Lows were between the lower 40s and 50s. There was a good bit of mist and fog, but not a lot of rain. Of course, it could be any thing from clear and sunny to days of torrential rain. You probably already know this area is famous for precipitation. Very beautiful area, ranging from jungle down low,with about the biggest trees you have ever seen, to huge glaciers up high.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...North-Cascades

Images
    It's hard to know where to start- there's such a rich diversity in Olympic National Park and Forest. The coast is beautiful and fun- but don't underestimate the difficulty if you do something other than the Ozette Triangle (miles of walking on slippery rocks, having to round headlands at low tide, climbing over headlands sometimes hand-over-hand hanging onto a rope). There are some sandy stretches but slippery boulders or deep gravel are more common. Alpine areas are fabulous if you get lucky with the weather. Expect steep rocky trails if you go up high- Mt. Olympus is just under 8000 feet but the mountains are rugged. Don't miss experiencing the lowland valleys either- the old growth forets are amazing. The Olympic National Park website will be useful- it has information on trails, regulations and such. Most places you are required to carry your food in a bear canister which you can rent from the park cheaply. Some popular spots both on the coast and inland have quotas and require reservations in advance. NWHikers.net and WTA.org both have trip report sections which are handy to get trip ideas from and up to date info as you get closer to your trip. Be aware that we have been having high fire danger in August-September lately so smoke may impact your trip- be flexible and have a plan B. It costs $8 a night per person for your permit and you don't get a discount with an America the Beautiful Pass.

Images
    I forgot the most important part- you can hang your hammock almost anywhere! On the coast the campsites are just off the beach in the trees. If you're up way high you can enjoy the ridges during the day and hike just a little lower and find trees.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the quick responses.

Starting to look at areas that I would enjoy and it looks like everything is good hiking.

Sounds like a great place to hang.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Sorry for derailing your thread but I was offered an internship at ONP back in the 90's but turned it down because I couldn't except a job that didn't pay. I had to earn cash for the up coming semester.
    I always wonder how life would have turned out if I took the internship.....
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Images
    https://www.facebook.com/NatGeoAdven...ref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARAmclWWFFb5rIqEMMgp2x5dMDP8Ed4IDt4FK-ypMMykveEJB-hcaqZv7CtkbhoRK34dPiWaYSLIrKoFWvFuaA-8WgT_K54MQ0KHdKbcASQLmrYWfXX4R-OmROwBO2y9tWWQEKAfSY2i6PWW9tBCvlyErxYWa0DeBYMs4fwc WxA0MDPkOUi2DBn3SmKBrLlFRywKqwJlsbBoXZ9LVptyKzS0o-TtSt7VdlJwftUtAYOPsXS85WOyExKvf2xPQ5sbNocZA5DlBFIk _jCFRpcOmbamDQkklLhKmw9G5RwM2sxy6-KBQxI3stGuVVnH2OUcnBtt_MQPJ20vAuMnmmQk2vtQAZ9J

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Would late September be good. Less people?

Don’t mind a little cold but not sure when the snow comes in for good.

Images
    Late September can be wonderful- just depends on the luck of the draw. Could be warm days and frosty nights, could be rainy, windy, even a bit of snow in the high country. Weather changes fast. Up side, a lot fewer people around. Lately, snow cover usually doesn't accumulate until later October or early November.

• + New Posts