Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Wow! First time this week.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB 11'x10' Spinn
    Insulation
    HSSniv MtWash3
    Suspension
    webbing Dutch clip
    Hi Tracy,

Aug. 27-29 is my only open slot due to a reservation made a year ago at Assateague State Park (family beach camping) and Boy Scout outings.

I'll have my troop out there Sep. 17-19 so maybe our paths will cross (it did last year, completely by accident!). The Scouts plan the trek so I won't know our trails until later this year.

Thanks for organizing!
    ..Mike the Weed Warrior bio // Think globally, act locally: Remove an invasive plant

Insulation
    warm stuff
    i voted for Sept 18-20 well whatever that weekend is...lol Cranky Bear and i might be able to make that one, but i know the others are booked out for us. The pictures i was looking at are awesome....might even bring thing1 and thing2. They would love it, and it looks like the park is only 4-5 hours from us....very easy.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. Jennifer Unlimited
    Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better. -- Robert Redford

http://daydreamingmisadventurer.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Voting on this closes in less than 2 weeks. Looks like we have a clear favorite, but people should still vote if interested.

VegaMike here's hoping our paths do indeed cross! Lol, it's happened before!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1oz Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Sods is one of my usual group's favorite places. I have been there more times than any other - Roaring Plains, Dolly Sods, Dolly Sods Wilderness... Great fun! Just don't plan on any hammock hanging along Rocky Ridge up in the Wilderness - no trees. I got caught there one night in hurricane force winds. Some of the other guys I was with were on top of one of the peaks around there and broke several guy lines. They were in a MH Trango tent, a full-blown 4 season, if that tells you anything.. Don't count on a hammock holding up in that kind of weather

Roarbaugh Plains is a nice trail up to Red Creek. There is a slight descent down Roarbaugh and it is fairly flat - you can make great time. Between Roarbaugh and Red Creek there are switchbacks down to the river. Up around Breathed Mtn. and down Big Stone Coal is a nice route but the climb out of Red Creek is steep. Watch it in the Fall - that whole first 1/4 mile or so is all rocks covered in moss and leaves.

My favorite area around there is Roaring Plains. The scenery is just amazing. I was there last October and it was the best trip, minus some of the rain and dull mist, I have ever had. The trails we took were along the edge of the plateu - you can look out over MANY mountain ridges. We counted 7 in one area.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
    Sods is one of my usual group's favorite places. I have been there more times than any other - Roaring Plains, Dolly Sods, Dolly Sods Wilderness... Great fun! Just don't plan on any hammock hanging along Rocky Ridge up in the Wilderness - no trees. I got caught there one night in hurricane force winds. Some of the other guys I was with were on top of one of the peaks around there and broke several guy lines. They were in a MH Trango tent, a full-blown 4 season, if that tells you anything.. Don't count on a hammock holding up in that kind of weather

Roarbaugh Plains is a nice trail up to Red Creek. There is a slight descent down Roarbaugh and it is fairly flat - you can make great time. Between Roarbaugh and Red Creek there are switchbacks down to the river. Up around Breathed Mtn. and down Big Stone Coal is a nice route but the climb out of Red Creek is steep. Watch it in the Fall - that whole first 1/4 mile or so is all rocks covered in moss and leaves.

My favorite area around there is Roaring Plains. The scenery is just amazing. I was there last October and it was the best trip, minus some of the rain and dull mist, I have ever had. The trails we took were along the edge of the plateu - you can look out over MANY mountain ridges. We counted 7 in one area.
    Steve,
    I've been thinking of doing a solo trip in Roaring Plains before the DS group hang, so it's good to hear your enthusiasm for it. Plans may change over the summer, of course, but I hope I'll be asking you for some tips in September.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    OK all, the voting is closed on this poll and the Dolly Sods Hang will be:

Sept 17(Friday), 18(Saturday), and 19(Sunday) weekend. I will start a new thread so we can keep track of the details. But mark your calendar now to save this weekend!

Mods, please lock this thread. Thanks !

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    For any new people we've scheduled a Dolly Sods WV backpacking trip for Sept 17(Friday), 18(Saturday), and 19(Sunday). I'll be posting some trip information here very soon. Just bumping this as a reminder.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123