Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock Gear DCF Dry Bags

I recently bought a large HG Dyneema Fiber dry bag to hold both my top quilt and under quilt. The bag looks good and is big enough to hold both quilts, but I am having a hard time rolling and closing the bag since there is not a stiffener, velcro, etc. Anyone have this issue before or have any suggestions? Do you think it would hurt the quilts (HG Econ) if I added some Velcro?

https://www.hammockgear.com/dyneema-fiber-dry-bags/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Hammock Gear DCF Dry Bags

Why knot tie a knot around bag to cinch it closed
    Maybe a multiple pile hitch. It won’t jam and it will hold good As seen on YouTube video No Knot Tie Outs at 4:25 The top of bag would correspond with top of stake. Or wrap a cord around bag several times and finish with a shoe lace bow.
    Velcro tends to gather forest duff
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 01-05-2019 at 18:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Why knot tie a knot around bag to cinch it closed
    Maybe a multiple pile hitch. It won’t jam and it will hold good As seen on YouTube video
    Thanks for the suggestion. I might try that worse case, but it is a dry bag with a roll top, and I suspect closing it with a knot would likely not be as waterproof as if I can use the roll top closure properly.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Yes, probably best to closing top as designed,
    Sometimes I guess way off in the rough.
    I’ve got a HammockGear pack liner-pack extender on order. Cuben fiber camouflage 6 feet by 3 feet and it will look like a big pillow case.
    In the pack it goes and gear in liner and if more gear than pack—the sky’s the limit—well 6 feet anyway. Then when loaded a foot or so above pack—twist liner like a girls ponytail and tie it in an overhand knot.
    What can go wrong!
    Oh and about a foot below top of pack a cord tied around pack like a real tight belt—this will stop liner from sliding out
    Other things can go wrong—but I’ve not got to give it a test run—yet

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm surprised HG makes cuben fiber dry bags without velcro. I have three HG stuff sacks, all with 1/2 inch velcro, so I'm not sure when they stopped making them with velcro. I bought my HG dry bags about 3 or 4 years ago, so maybe there were a few complaints that velcro was heavier than grosgrain, and they should switch.

I can unequivocally say that my HG cuben fiber dry bags actually kept my quilts dry, even after full submersion (which they don't recommend). Last year I went hiking in the Pine Barrens, made some navigational errors (in winter, of course), and had to swim across two rivers with my pack on my back (bad idea - don't ever try this). I came very close to drowning, and it took a few hours to emerge from hypothermia, but my quilts stayed dry!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm surprised HG makes cuben fiber dry bags without velcro. I have three HG stuff sacks, all with 1/2 inch velcro, so I'm not sure when they stopped making them with velcro. I bought my HG dry bags about 3 or 4 years ago, so maybe there were a few complaints that velcro was heavier than grosgrain, and they should switch.

I can unequivocally say that my HG cuben fiber dry bags actually kept my quilts dry, even after full submersion (which they don't recommend). Last year I went hiking in the Pine Barrens, made some navigational errors (in winter, of course), and had to swim across two rivers with my pack on my back (bad idea - don't ever try this). I came very close to drowning, and it took a few hours to emerge from hypothermia, but my quilts stayed dry!
    Thanks. Sounds like Velcro is the way to go! Glad to hear the bags kept your quilts dry (and that you were ok - sounds like a rough trip).

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    You can also just add a center or 2 evenly spaced KAM snaps. A few vendors make dry bags with snaps instead of velcro, because the velcro can snag on virtually all the gear you have and it adds a decent bit of weight. KAM snaps are something really easy that you could add yourself.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    You can also just add a center or 2 evenly spaced KAM snaps. A few vendors make dry bags with snaps instead of velcro, because the velcro can snag on virtually all the gear you have and it adds a decent bit of weight. KAM snaps are something really easy that you could add yourself.
    I have not found that the velcro on my cuben fiber dry bags snags on my quilts, ever, or on anything else, for that matter.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I have not found that the velcro on my cuben fiber dry bags snags on my quilts, ever, or on anything else, for that matter.
    I've had it happen quite a few times on noseeum bugnetting. Lots of companies do use Velcro, not saying it is ineffective. I just think there are more elegant and simple solutions for retrofitting an already-made dry bag.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    I've had it happen quite a few times on noseeum bugnetting. Lots of companies do use Velcro, not saying it is ineffective. I just think there are more elegant and simple solutions for retrofitting an already-made dry bag.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    KAM snaps seems like a good and simple option. I may give that a try instead of Velcro.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast