Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Maybe there should be a new rule, "No vlogging before Harper's Ferry!"
    But then we’d miss out on those gear reviews where they just opened the package and provide their opinion on it. Like 40 minutes of video on gear they’ve never used. Those crack me up.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    The Trek simply reported the responses from the small sample of thru and section hikers that responded to their survey. Like any statistical analysis, one must be careful when extrapolating meaning from the small sampling of numbers. Having participated in the Survey and having hiked the AT this year, the reporting compared to what I experienced on the trail. I saw more Osprey’s than any other pack. I also noticed many ULA Brands both on trail and in early outfitter stores. There was also the ZPack Arctic Blast. The tent sampling was what I witnessed, as well as seeing more hammocks than I had expected. While Dixie’s AT Hike was about three years back, the modern version was a girl by the trail name PeeWee. She actually switched from a tent to a hammock pre hike and sung its praises as she finished the trail. In the end, I think hammock usage will increase (as stated in the Trek article) but tents will always remain the majority because of an easier learning curve. Yet, everyone knows to come to Hammockforums as the number one resource.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    The Trek simply reported the responses from the small sample of thru and section hikers that responded to their survey. Like any statistical analysis, one must be careful when extrapolating meaning from the small sampling of numbers. Having participated in the Survey and having hiked the AT this year, the reporting compared to what I experienced on the trail. I saw more Osprey’s than any other pack. I also noticed many ULA Brands both on trail and in early outfitter stores. There was also the ZPack Arctic Blast. The tent sampling was what I witnessed, as well as seeing more hammocks than I had expected. While Dixie’s AT Hike was about three years back, the modern version was a girl by the trail name PeeWee. She actually switched from a tent to a hammock pre hike and sung its praises as she finished the trail. In the end, I think hammock usage will increase (as stated in the Trek article) but tents will always remain the majority because of an easier learning curve. Yet, everyone knows to come to Hammockforums as the number one resource.
    Did you meet her this year GBolt?

For those that don’t know, PeeWee got her trail name due to hammock camping. One night she had to go to the bathroom but didn’t want to stray away. So she did her business under the tarp. And then realized her pillow had fallen on the ground and well you can guess what happened. Many of us would have kept that to ourselves but it cracked her up and she shared it on her video.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    One night she had to go to the bathroom but didn’t want to stray away. So she did her business under the tarp. And then realized her pillow had fallen on the ground and well you can guess what happened.
    Reason Number 437 why I don't pee under my tarp.

Last year, I went hammock camping with my beagle Joey. I couldn't get to sleep, and Joey knew I was uncomfortable and he couldn't get to sleep either. Finally, about 1:30 am, I felt queasy (probable food poisoning) and had to get out of the hammock. I had to take Joey with me on his leash, because he's a beagle, and can't ever be trusted not to run away.

Suddenly, I threw up like a fountain. Joey, of course, wanted to probably eat my throw-up, and I had to yank him away. It was quite a battle - me trying to complete my throw-up, and Joey trying to eat the throw-up. I won - Joey lost. I kept him away from the throw-up, and we were able to get back in the hammock and both sleep like champs the rest of the night.

When I awoke in the morning, I tried to find that throw-up (I lost my entire evening meal), but I simply couldn't find it. I suspect I was doing projectile vomiting and it was probably on the trees and up in the limbs of the trees. Or maybe a wild animal ate it. Bon appetit!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Reason Number 437 why I don't pee under my tarp.

Last year, I went hammock camping with my beagle Joey. I couldn't get to sleep, and Joey knew I was uncomfortable and he couldn't get to sleep either. Finally, about 1:30 am, I felt queasy (probable food poisoning) and had to get out of the hammock. I had to take Joey with me on his leash, because he's a beagle, and can't ever be trusted not to run away.

Suddenly, I threw up like a fountain. Joey, of course, wanted to probably eat my throw-up, and I had to yank him away. It was quite a battle - me trying to complete my throw-up, and Joey trying to eat the throw-up. I won - Joey lost. I kept him away from the throw-up, and we were able to get back in the hammock and both sleep like champs the rest of the night.

When I awoke in the morning, I tried to find that throw-up (I lost my entire evening meal), but I simply couldn't find it. I suspect I was doing projectile vomiting and it was probably on the trees and up in the limbs of the trees. Or maybe a wild animal ate it. Bon appetit!
    Ha I can picture my beagle doing the same. My in-laws live in rural Michigan and we visit during the holidays. I’ll be walking the dog and thinking it’s just some random route we are taking across their property. Nope. Next thing I know she has part of a carcass in her mouth. The thing with beagles is their mouth is only inches from the ground because they are always sniffing so you only get a half second to tug on the leash to get them away from whatever nastiness they are about to enjoy. Then another half second to keep them from rolling around in it.

Hahahaha, my first night in my hammock; my one and only shakedown hike before the Trail,
    I puked my brains out.

My stepdad gave me a small bottle of scotch as a gift so I took it with me to have from the hammock. Like a fool I hiked all day without eating. I fired up the pocket rocket and started sipping some whiskey while I waited on dinner.

Oops.

Should’ve had a few mouthfuls of food first; I woke up in the middle of the night and just exploded vomit everywhere.

Thank the heavens that it was cold and I hadn’t bothered to zip the bugnet....I can’t imagine how terrible that may have been over wise.

But I’m a big fan of peeing under the tarp. Or rather, from under the tarp into the darkness beyond.

In fact, I usually pitch in porch mode and before bed lower the head end but leave the trekking pole in at the foot end. That way, when I inevitably wake up in the morning to pee I can swing out, find my shoes, and walk to the foot end and have enough headroom to enjoy a good pee. Unless it’s a terrible storm in which case it’s an awkward crabwalk/crouch pee that probably looks hilarious to all the deer.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    TallPaul, I never met her because of her earlier start date. However, I attached my S2S Pillow to the Ridgeline so I could find relief, in the middle of the night, without worry! Although, my fellow tenters would often ask that I not hang uphill from their spot! She definitely was authentic and a positive story for hammocks and thru hiking the AT.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    But then we’d miss out on those gear reviews where they just opened the package and provide their opinion on it. Like 40 minutes of video on gear they’ve never used. Those crack me up.
    This. This really grinds me gears, thanks for the mention. This "unboxing" video trend makes me want to run screaming into the woods. There needs to be a video for this? I can't believe people with really good content like SinTax and Joe Robinet also do this crap. I don't care how much of an "outdoor" professional you are or how experienced, if you haven't used it STFU and come back when you have a valid opinion. This is "bloat" content.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    if you haven't used it STFU and come back when you have a valid opinion.
    Bam! Shot and chaser in one gulp!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    This. This really grinds me gears, thanks for the mention. This "unboxing" video trend makes me want to run screaming into the woods. There needs to be a video for this? I can't believe people with really good content like SinTax and Joe Robinet also do this crap. I don't care how much of an "outdoor" professional you are or how experienced, if you haven't used it STFU and come back when you have a valid opinion. This is "bloat" content.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Bam! Shot and chaser in one gulp!
    So I’m not the only one who thought “unboxing” videos were unneeded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast