Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    JRB and AHE
    Suspension
    whoopies or becket
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnlogan View Post

Any thoughts/experiences to share?
    Maybe not exactly analogous, but I've been experimenting with CCF pads in my bridge hammock paired with an underquilt. It hasn't been cold enough to stress test, but my very limited experience is that the pad does help. I'm not using a complete pad, only a short section in my homemade SPE to cover my torso/butt area and kill any cold spots that come from the UQ sagging away from the hammock body.

The SPE has small wings to keep my shoulders covered. I think the SPE fabric covering the CCF pad may help with condensation slightly but I haven't been out in anything lower than 25 degrees F yet, and that only once. The other test was in temps that didn't drop below freezing, say about 35 or so. In both of those conditions I think the underquilt alone would have been enough, but the pad certainly didn't hurt anything.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I've used 30" X 36" CCF pad inside the hammock with various under insulation (3/4 Jarbridge UQ and Hennessy SS). I always sleep inside a decent spelling bag with a warm bag liner.
    The pads help but:
    It is even more important to protect your UQ from the breeze robbing the heat (the pad may cause a gap or path along the sides for air to travel)
    I 'always' covered the pads with fleece or a flannel sheet to keep/capture the condensation away from my sleeping bag.

So, 2 stacked pads alone = 22F and I was praying for the sum to rise (not comfortable)
    1 pad and a 25F 3/4 UQ (with a DIY tyvek sock for the wind) I was comfortable at 20F.
    Haven't tried it lower than that.

Other ideas:
    Hot water bottle works wonders if you will have a fire.
    Vapor Barriers might be an option if you have an interest and the time to test/learn about them.
    If you are car camping, make a pod for your hammock from a sleeping bag. See Shug's video on his sleeping bag pod.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 02-14-2019 at 10:36.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Arenít there hammocks like the Amok and 90 degree hammocks that use pads and air mattresses to hold their form?
    yup, and haven't had condensation issues with my synmat 9

I've also not had it out at -25c, maybe -10 at the coldest

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Maybe not exactly analogous, but I've been experimenting with CCF pads in my bridge hammock paired with an underquilt. It hasn't been cold enough to stress test, but my very limited experience is that the pad does help. I'm not using a complete pad, only a short section in my homemade SPE to cover my torso/butt area and kill any cold spots that come from the UQ sagging away from the hammock body.

The SPE has small wings to keep my shoulders covered. I think the SPE fabric covering the CCF pad may help with condensation slightly but I haven't been out in anything lower than 25 degrees F yet, and that only once. The other test was in temps that didn't drop below freezing, say about 35 or so. In both of those conditions I think the underquilt alone would have been enough, but the pad certainly didn't hurt anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    I've used 30" X 36" CCF pad inside the hammock with various under insulation (3/4 Jarbridge UQ and Hennessy SS). I always sleep inside a decent spelling bag with a warm bag liner.
    The pads help but:
    It is even more important to protect your UQ from the breeze robbing the heat (the pad may cause a gap or path along the sides for air to travel)
    I 'always' covered the pads with fleece or a flannel sheet to keep/capture the condensation away from my sleeping bag.

So, 2 stacked pads alone = 22F and I was praying for the sum to rise (not comfortable)
    1 pad and a 25F 3/4 UQ (with a DIY tyvek sock for the wind) I was comfortable at 20F.
    Haven't tried it lower than that.

Other ideas:
    Hot water bottle works wonders if you will have a fire.
    Vapor Barriers might be an option if you have an interest and the time to test/learn about them.
    If you are car camping, make a pod for your hammock from a sleeping bag. See Shug's video on his sleeping bag pod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    yup, and haven't had condensation issues with my synmat 9

I've also not had it out at -25c, maybe -10 at the coldest
    We're going to be snowshoeing into the camping area. Its not far (~3mi iirc), but still trying not to bring the whole kitchen sink so to speak. Which means a secondary entire sleeping bag to use as a pod out of the question at the moment. I'll have a bottle with me, and I am assuming we'll have a fire, or stove of some sort, so I should be able to warm up water (which I've done before with success). Also, I'll be in a winter tarp with doors, so that should help with the wind, at least taking away the worst of it. I probably should have mentioned that before.

Sounds like the consensus is that its likely not going to hurt anything (other than potentially more condensation, which I've not had any real problems with in the past ), and "should" likely make it warmer. As I said, I've used the pad alone down to ~30f (but was getting cool). So I'm hoping that it will add at least 5-10f to the UQ, which should cover the lower temperature nights. Additionally, the UQ I'll be borrowing is using a clew suspension, which I'm hoping will be will help it conform to the shape of the pad better.

I've also got a CDT that I may be able to stuff into the pack as an extra insurance policy. Guess I should start test fitting the pack...

Thanks all .

• + New Posts