WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    Lol it might sound strange but if I can get my feet uncovered I can cool off enough to be comfortable
    Not strange at all! I start with loosening the snap and cord on the Top Quilt. Pull my Arms out next. Head covering changed to lighter cover or pulling the buff down around neck or off totally. Next comes the feet pulled out into the cool air. Finally reach underneath and vent the Under Quilt to fill with cool air for the body to re-heat.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It's so easy to vent, as many have mentioned above. I watch my beagle Joey while he's in the hammock and he knows how to vent. If he's warm, he lays on my chest or by my side and doesn't want the quilt on top of him. When he gets cold, he crawls down in the footbox. Joey switches positions as the night goes on, but if it's really cold, he'll just stay in the footbox!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Oh Dear, I am laughing too hard to even see straight! Those down booties are a killer unless you have really cold feet.

As other members have suggested just get your feet out of the TQ.

I sleep really cool, I use down quilts at home and Hanging year around. I do not enclose my neck unless it is really cold or cold and windy. I do wear a wool Buff on my head to keep in the heat but mainly to keep my hair from becoming one massive mat.

So now you have learned a lesson and that means you are officially a part of the Hanger's Pack.

I am so pleased you learned a very important lesson at home, where it would have been easy to abort the test. Plus now you know how to get really warm to down right hot. Well done and thank you for sharing.

P.S. My UQ is a 0*F my TQ is 20*F summer or winter, I just have more or less body hanging out. I do not use a zippered bug net because I have found the air does not circulate enough to suit me.

Carry on and Keep Testing to find what you like.
    Thank you. Yes, my feet are always cold, I think I have poor circulation, but they were hot this time. Since this was my first real cold test, I am glad that I did it in a test environment. I will keep getting some more hangs under my belt.

gt,

Nothing works each and everytime. So many variables on almost each and every hang and on each and every day. The more you experiment, the easier the correct system will reveal itself.

All good ideas above. Ill throw these ideas into the mix. Dont forget you can always loosen the Underquilt. By doing so, you can hang the UQ farther away from your body. This will cool off the underside. You can also use older, colder rated sleeping bag(s), blankets or cheap, down throws, instead of the dedicated TQ.

Have fun.

Bob

Hammock
    SLD 11' Tree Runner/XLC/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/WP/WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gtbeekeeper View Post
    I spent my first night of 2019 with new insulation in my hammock last night in my back yard. I wanted to test the gears ability in cold temps (29* last night), in case I would be too cold.

My experience was a hot one! I quickly realized that I was almost to the point of sweating and tried loosening my draw cord around my neck, then resorted to sleeping with my whole arms out of the sleeping bag. I still seemed to be hot with this gear, which I was pleasantly surprised. I believe my gear would get down to the low teens just fine. So my question is: How/what do you do when you are too hot, when its cold outside? Do you unzip or throw off bag/top quilt to regulate or do you loosen the under-quilt just a bit? I'm curious for future outings in winter.

My insulation is WB Wookie 0* underquilt, with an Outdoor Vitals Aerie 20* bag used as a sleeping bag.
    In my case...I am selling my insulation. I dont think I will ever need a 0° quilt unless I seek out those climates.
    Nothing shortens my night quicker than hot and wet sleep in 20°-30° weather.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."
    https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web
    http://www.atweather.org
    Hammock Insulation Temperature Testing Results Spreadsheet

Hammock
    pick'm GE no net
    Tarp
    Toxaway or asym
    Insulation
    Down/Apex UQs
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    In my case...I am selling my insulation. I dont think I will ever need a 0° quilt unless I seek out those climates.
    Nothing shortens my night quicker than hot and wet sleep in 20°-30° weather.
    Just goes to show how we're all so physiologically different - I use my zero UQ with 20 TQ into the 40s. As long as I'm not going to bed in the 60s, I'm good with that setup. Been on a hike where it was 20s for a low one night and two nights later not getting below 55. The zero UQ didn't bother me that much that night, it was more the TQ on top of me, where I went between having it completely off and a leg hanging out.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    SLD 11' Tree Runner/XLC/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/WP/WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Just goes to show how we're all so physiologically different - I use my zero UQ with 20 TQ into the 40s. As long as I'm not going to bed in the 60s, I'm good with that setup. Been on a hike where it was 20s for a low one night and two nights later not getting below 55. The zero UQ didn't bother me that much that night, it was more the TQ on top of me, where I went between having it completely off and a leg hanging out.
    I was referring to my TQ. JRB HSS

My GL3-4 are golden for a wide range of temps.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."
    https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web
    http://www.atweather.org
    Hammock Insulation Temperature Testing Results Spreadsheet

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Insulation
    Wookie & WL Bud TQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I use a 0 degree Wookie and 20 degree Wilderness Logics top quilt and in the upper 20's I am perfectly cozy sleeping in only boxers and, sometimes, a pair of fresh light socks. Anything more than that I get cold due to perspiration.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If it's winter you'll have no issues getting cool or even cold with very little effort no matter what rating your top quilt is as you can kick off as much as you need or slide it off completely.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If your TQ has a draw cord at the bottom to cinch it up, you could loosen that. By bending knees you could probably reach it while staying in the hammock. I guess the trick is to find the minimum and yet easily accessible adjustment because, you know, at some point you may want to warm back up and do so with minimum fuss.