Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Straps

What do you do when too hot in hammock setup?

I spent my first night of 2019 with new insulation in my hammock last night in my back yard. I wanted to test the gears ability in cold temps (29* last night), in case I would be too cold.

My experience was a hot one! I quickly realized that I was almost to the point of sweating and tried loosening my draw cord around my neck, then resorted to sleeping with my whole arms out of the sleeping bag. I still seemed to be hot with this gear, which I was pleasantly surprised. I believe my gear would get down to the low teens just fine. So my question is: How/what do you do when you are too hot, when its cold outside? Do you unzip or throw off bag/top quilt to regulate or do you loosen the under-quilt just a bit? I'm curious for future outings in winter.

My insulation is WB Wookie 0* underquilt, with an Outdoor Vitals Aerie 20* bag used as a sleeping bag.

Hammock
    WBBB Xlc, Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    Warbonnet tarp
    Insulation
    Camping pad
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Lol it might sound strange but if I can get my feet uncovered I can cool off enough to be comfortable

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    COGS Hex/Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    UHMWPE/Becket
    Many nights, I will forego cinching the top quilt around my neck. This allows me to let it vent. I just had a similar situation this past weekend. I had my 20° quilt cinched up at the neck, and the low was only about 30°. A couple hours into the night, I was way too hot. I just opened up the top, and was fine the rest of the night.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    Lol it might sound strange but if I can get my feet uncovered I can cool off enough to be comfortable
    Ha, that could be the issue. I was wearing a new pair of down booties I got for Christmas inside my sleeping bag, nice and toasty. The bag does have a bottom zipper as well so I might could stick my feet out. I may have to fully unzip it and use it like a blanket instead of a bag.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Just kick that top quilt off and you'll cool down

Hammock
    Warbonnet Elderado
    Insulation
    Wookie Underquit
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    For my between 30* and 0* setup I have a 10* Wookie, a 10* EE TQ and use a WB Chanook. When I get warm I start by unzipping part of the Chanook to allow a bit of a breeze to come in. If I am still too warm, I loosen the footbox of my TQ to allow air in. Might just toss the TQ if it gets warm enough, but mostly just getting some air in does the trick on the gear side.

Now the other part is my clothing. I start out sleeping in pair of wool socks, running shorts, a sweat wicking t-shirt and a wool toque. I keep extra clothes (like thermals) in a ridge sack to add and remove as needed. As well as for when I have to get out of my little nest.

I naturally run hot, in about 40* weather I am comfy walking outside in just shorts and a t-shirt. (As long as it is not raining or really windy). But my belief is layering your clothes and adjusting those can give you more temp adjustment then anything else.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Last edited by emfalcon; 01-10-2019 at 13:56. Reason: Added link

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    If you’re wearing booties and you’re hot, those would be the first thing I would ditch. When my TQ is too warm, I either loosen or disconnect the top cinch. Since you have a zippered footbox, you should be able to loosen the drawcord on it as well to allow a little air inside.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG/WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    For me, it depends on how I'm feeling at the moment. Sometimes I uncover my feet or legs, sometimes I vent or uncover my neck or chest. Given the temps you indicated, the 0* UQ, and the down booties, I'm not at all surprised you were too warm. I remember overdoing it my first few cold nights. It's good to be able to build up the confidence in your gear, and know how it works for you, personally. Just keep experimenting, and do what works for you.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thanks to everyone for all the good advice! I just need more hang time to get it all dialed in.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Big Red Love Tarp
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by gtbeekeeper View Post
    Ha, that could be the issue. I was wearing a new pair of down booties I got for Christmas inside my sleeping bag, nice and toasty...
    Oh Dear, I am laughing too hard to even see straight! Those down booties are a killer unless you have really cold feet.

As other members have suggested just get your feet out of the TQ.

I sleep really cool, I use down quilts at home and Hanging year around. I do not enclose my neck unless it is really cold or cold and windy. I do wear a wool Buff on my head to keep in the heat but mainly to keep my hair from becoming one massive mat.

So now you have learned a lesson and that means you are officially a part of the Hanger's Pack.

I am so pleased you learned a very important lesson at home, where it would have been easy to abort the test. Plus now you know how to get really warm to down right hot. Well done and thank you for sharing.

P.S. My UQ is a 0*F my TQ is 20*F summer or winter, I just have more or less body hanging out. I do not use a zippered bug net because I have found the air does not circulate enough to suit me.

Carry on and Keep Testing to find what you like.