DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images

Largest one person hammock for two people?

I just found the need for a two person hammock. I never really paid much attention to this subject in the past. Oops. I’m thinking a symmetric single layer for mostly lounging in, napping in and if it progresses to then overnighting in. No integrated bug net, unless it zips completely off. I presently use a warbonnet blackbird since when it first came out and use it every day for several years now so I’m no stranger to hammock camping but I just haven’t kept up with the explosion on now available hammock products. I’m 5’3” 165 lbs, she about 5’2 “ 110 lbs. I gather a large one person model would do? A 12 footer? suggestions and photos would be greatly appreciated!

Btw, I tried a search here but the results were not what I expected. I’m sure this subject has been done to death by now.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Besides the Clark Vertex (2 hammocks as one), there's no such thing as a 2-person hammock. Only one butt can be in the middle, and that would end up being yours due to weight, no matter where the two of you start out. But, for lounging, sure I guess. I have seen two people lay in opposite directions head to foot with some apparent success, but that was two girls (LOL). My guess is width is going to be more important than length, but you probably want 10' length minimum, so that rules out most anything you can buy on Amazon (note than many of them include the attachments in their lengths). I'd pose this question directly to someone like Jared at SimplyLightDesigns.com who has likely dealt with it before.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Under/Top quilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Largest one person hammock for two people?

I'd suggest a Dutchware Chameleon. It comes in lots of different colors, fabrics, and even has a wide version that fits either 1 large person or 2 smaller people perfectly.

Dutchware also has an option that if you two wanna do overnights together, they have a bugnet that actually connects two of the Chameleon hammocks together.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As a test, try hugging each other (standing up) for about 10 minutes - then imagine it being hours, where every move and sigh is felt and heard by the other. When manufacturers talks about a "double hammock", they mean a larger hammock for one. When I've seen ads that show two people in a hammock, their position is so contrived and even then, it doesn't looks like something they'd enjoy for more than a minute. For proximity and yet "world peace", I think it is better if you both hang off the same tree, one hammock coming off the left side, one hammock coming off the right side. Your separation will be the width of the tree.

That does add some tarp issue challenges; but nothing insurmountable.

Another issue of "two in a hammock" is the over all system load. You have fabric, stitches, suspension, anchors (trees). Depending upon the hang angle, you can create stresses much more than just the weight in the hammock. A near 40% increase over the total weight in the hammock if you are hanging close to 20 degrees (according to Hammock Calculator).

But if this is something you have your heart set on, see if there's a way you can try it out before investing a lot of money in the setup.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    There's nothing more uncomfortable that two people in one gathered end hammock no matter what the size. I would recommend the spreader bars that Dutch sells with two hammocks.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    There's nothing more uncomfortable that two people in one gathered end hammock no matter what the size.
    ENO is a huge supporter of the idea that two people can sleep in one gathered-end hammock (and I definitely disagree). If you can manage more than about 15 minutes with two people in a gathered-end hammock, you're a better man than me!

Check out ENO's photo gallery for various poses of two people in a hammock, as well as hammocks hanging over things that will break your back or drown you if your hammock suspension fails.

https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/photo-gallery/
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Quest II
    Insulation
    HG Eco Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    As others have said, using two hammocks is gonna be your best bet for comfort. However you can certainly fit two people in a "double wide" hammock.

My girlfriend and I have shared my "Winner Outfitters" (cheapy Amazon brand) double hammock for lazy afternoon naps before. We lay shoulder to shoulder with her usually just slightly on top of me. She has no problem falling asleep, though she's the kind of person who could sleep no matter what position she's in. I usually struggle to stay asleep for longer than a half hour, but since we only use it for casual lounging around it's no problem.

To be honest, if you're only looking for casual day use then a cheap Amazon hammock can totally work. However, a spreader bar and a bird's nest bugnet from Dutch means you can be sharing the same trees and bugnet without compromising comfort.

Good luck in your search!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    ENO is a huge supporter of the idea that two people can sleep in one gathered-end hammock (and I definitely disagree). If you can manage more than about 15 minutes with two people in a gathered-end hammock, you're a better man than me!

Check out ENO's photo gallery for various poses of two people in a hammock, as well as hammocks hanging over things that will break your back or drown you if your hammock suspension fails.

https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/photo-gallery/
    Underwater hammocking!
    (See July 2018)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Underwater hammocking!
    (See July 2018)
    Yeah, that's the ENO way.

David-Barry.jpg
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    I like the Dutch suggestions and will look into that. I started with an eno and it was junk, tore and won’t get another, especially since I use my blackbird every day for years now. Gonna stay cottage on this. But back to the original intent of this, y’all are getting way ahead of yourselves here. I failed to mention that this is mainly for home use, in my shop, backyard, etc. I want the idea of hammocking to be an intimate affair. Camping is a whole different animal, besides, I live at the beach so no trees to hang from, and I got other plans for that. I just want a nice big single layer 1.7 symmetrical as a home and backyard lounger made by our little cottage industry.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast