Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Bridge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Eco B

Quilt recommendation...

I have be shopping the top quilts for months and am suffering from paralysis of analysis. Maybe you guys can help. The quilt is primarily for my next backpacking trip to the Tetons and Glacier National park in late spring.. It looks like it may get down to the 40s while we are there. Also, I camp a lot in the shoulder seasons with the scouts. Mostly in my bridge hammock. However, I'll be on the ground for the Teton and Glacier trip.

So some requirements:
    - Needs to be wide enough for ground sleeping.
    - Hopefully not a sil impregnated taffeta...cant stand it sticking to me.
    - Zippered and draw foot box that I can open up. Closterphobic.

Thanks your help is much appreciated.

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    I have EE, Hg and a LL. LL is my favorite go to quilt for backpacking. The EE my fav for
    ground camping. I believe the extra wide EE is wider than the other extra wides and I
    too like a wider quilt while on the ground. All are great quilts and I would be great
    with any of them.

However, the EE does come in a wider format last I time I checked and
    that is a must for my ground camping. Some have complained of down migrating
    and creating cold spots. They have addressed that in 2019 with adding additional
    fill in their 2019 quilts.

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Bridge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Eco B
    Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota. But which is the Cadillac or the BMW. But I'm a HS teacher and no way will it be the later.
    I need a Honda....maybe the REI magma quilt? I dont see any reviews yet.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I have 2 Hammockgear Econ topquilts. Love the 40°, but the 20° doesn't seem to drape and maneuver as I would like.

Hammock
    DUTCH CHAMELEON
    Tarp
    DUTCH XENON HEX
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    BEETLE BUCKLES
    I purchased my first quilt while I was still on the ground. That first quilt was a Hammock Gear Econ Burrow 20 in wide and can highly recommend it. The Hammock Gear Econ series is pretty hard to beat price wise. If I were you though I would probably just grab the next quilt that shows up on the For Sale section and meets your length, width and temp needs. I have made a few purchases here and on other forums and never had any issues. It's a great way to save money and you really can't go wrong with any of the cottage vendors.

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    What I have done is use a spreadsheet and enter all the critical data. Then I can compare side by side. Makes.it easier. One thing to consider if you will be backpacking is fill value. The higher the number the smaller it will pack for the temp rating. Also will be lighter and warmer. However, the difference is pretty small and the $$ is not so compare other features first then, if you have two or three that are nearly the same, pick the one with the highest fill value.

Quality is great with any of the cottage vendors here.

Oh! Also, consider buying two at a higher temp value so you can use one in warmer weather and stack them in colder.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE UQ / EE TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / DC
    I was a bag user for 20+ years until I was gifted an ENO Spark topquilt when I started hammock camping. It had some comfort and quality issues but I was shocked at how warm I was in it. It was enough to make me want to switch so I did some pretty extensive research recently, including buying a used EE Revelation for comparison, before deciding on a HG Econ Burrow. There's no doubt that the premium fabrics are spectacular and side by side you can feel the difference. There's no doubt the higher fill is lighter and packs smaller. Those differences are pretty small when it comes to function for most people though and the price difference is really significant. Unless you're really looking to minimize your pack weight I can't see anything being a better option than the Econ Burrow. A 30 degree wide Burrow is only going to run you about $175 shipped. (I found anything 52" and wider works for me when I go to the ground. 5'9" and about 205#'s)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a look at some of my top quilts. Nice fabric on all of them. None have zippers though.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiecamper View Post
    ...Zippered and draw foot box that I can open up. Closterphobic.
    Not sure I understand the claustrophobic element of the foot box. I think its fine if you want to use the quilt as a blanket, or even if you want to vent more by having less box or an open end. But even with a sewn footbox, you always can stick a foot out, which is my modus operandi at home anyway (with regular bedding). I started with a non-sewn footbox and found that I didn't use the flexibility of having the zipper/snaps and the drawstring was occasionally problematic.

I've had Golite, HammockGear, Enlightened Equipment and LocoLibre TQs and like each of them. I think the Econ Burrow is the best value, but they will all work well, assuming you don't skimp on your pad.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiecamper View Post
    - Zippered and draw foot box that I can open up. Closterphobic.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Not sure I understand the claustrophobic element of the foot box.
    I'll attest to feeling the same. My 40° uses a drawstring and my 20° is sewn. I feel very constricted with the 20°, but I've never owned a mummy sleeping bag and aren't used to this feeling. The drawstring is always used on the 40°, but my zipper usage is adjusted based on how cold I feel.

This seems strange, but on my sofa at an ambient 63°, the 40° topquilt feels much warmer than the 20° topquilt. I suspect that its drape allows the quilt to be tighter against my body. Both are Hammockgear Econ topquilts.. My next 20° will have a drawstring and better fill power so that it drapes better.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast