Hammock
    ?? Don't know? I have a grand trunk
    Insulation
    Home made down top
    Suspension
    Straps

Hanging After Work

First time using my hammock when it's cold out. Just got home from work, and I thought I'd try it out. It says its about 17°F right now. To cold for my stuff. Nice sun rise showing on mountain. I should've moved boat out of way.

I tried to sleep out side, but my Tigress underquilt just can't cut it. I would say 35 plus would be great.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    At least you tried though. I give you points for that.

I have a SnugPak UQ, and I think the Tigres UQ and the SnugPak UQ are about the same as far temperature range. Although I have had my SnugPak UQ down into the high 20s F, I think the comfortable limit is about 35F, low 30sF if it is cinched up just right.

Something you might consider if you are able, is to loosely stack a Costco down throw on the outside of your Tigres UQ. I have had my SnugPak UQ down to the low 20sF easily with that setup, very comfy. I haven't tested anything lower than that, but I'm very confident that it could go to 15F or so.

Have fun out there! I love backyard hangs exactly for this, testing things out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Now you at least know your limits. I'm tired of backyard hanging and ready to hit the trail but I'm so bummed that it's going to rain yet another weekend here but hopefully before June we get some dry weather. Rain doesn't usually bother me but rain at 38-45 degree temps - no thanks.

Hammock
    ?? Don't know? I have a grand trunk
    Insulation
    Home made down top
    Suspension
    Straps
    Everytime I tried to stack something in the UQ it would just slip into a wad in the bottom. I was wearing jeans, tee shirt and hoody sweat shirt, and I had a regular pair of socks on inside of down booties. I would freeze every time I would get up to try something. My lower back and, love handles were cold, but the rest of me wasn't to bad. The underquilt and over quilt, I made the over quilt last month, we're so slick that I couldn't layer any thing on them. I do see why the foot box is needed, I think I'll attach one of them to my over quilt.

I want to go to Mt Rogers in a couple of weeks, but I don't want to start whining and crying about being cold in front of anyone. I'm a big tough outdoors He-man, after all. Ha.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Yes, there is no substitution for a good light down under quilt. You really can put anything "inside" and under quilt as gravity works against want you need by pulling it away from he hammock. You need your insulation against you and this is where the down under quilts excel. You will want some good insulation for Mt. Rogers this time of year as it's always much colder than reported in the winter and the wind robs your warmth so a good winter tarp and even an under quilt protector would be the idea setup.

Hammock
    double eagle and grand sumo stand
    Insulation
    Snugpak TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    2 snugpak uq works for me
    As I'm in Britain I'm working in degs C
    I'm hanging in an unheated room and in winter its regularly 3-4 degs
    I have no problems sleeping in pj bottoms and a t shirt

Quote Originally Posted by 22gdsmwheezy View Post
    How do you hang your Snugpak UQ without a tarp ridgeline. I always get drafts if I don't run the outside tabs up to my tarp ridgeline to some prusiks.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950U mediante Tapatalk

Hammock
    double eagle and grand sumo stand
    Insulation
    Snugpak TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    I stretch the elastic up to where I tie hammock off then using the adjuster in the middle pull it up once in hammock
    I must say because I'm hanging indoors draughts not a major problem the room is well insulated just not heated unless I put the oil filled radiator on but that doesn't normall happen
    I do use a snugpak top quilt as well which I think is brilliant for what I use it for

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by 22gdsmwheezy View Post
    Just so I can continue with the SnugPak love, I have both the SnugPak UQ and the SnugPak hammock cocoon. For super cold weather, I have stacked the UQ inside the cocoon, then zipped the cocoon up over everything, and that is a VERY toasty place to be. Based on my own temp testing, I can get it down to -5F or so, but theoretically down to -10F (based on the Enlightened Equipment quilt layering chart).

With the SnugPak UQ and a modified Costco down throw (CDT) stacked together, my actual low is about 22F or so, but theoretically it could take me down to somewhere between 0F and 10F. I've been waiting for some really cold nights here locally to do some more tests, but I missed 0F nights a couple of weeks ago, and the 10-day forecast only has a low of 22F.

Hanging Roy check out the CDT threads on here, particularly leiavoia's thread on the Gemini UQ system made from the Costco down throws. It's a relatively simple system, that can work with your Tigres UQ to get you to a lower temp.

• + New Posts