Chameleon
    Tarp
    RSBTR UL DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Zepplin
    Suspension
    B.Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Yeah, full is the 77". The 83" is considered "long." I am 6'1" and think the 77" is plenty long enough for me.

If you opted for the 1/8" shock cord, that tension effect on your diagonal would be even more pronounced.

Seemed like you described two separate problems. One being that the UQ restricted your diagonal, which could mean the primary suspension was a little tight. The other was that it sounded like the UQ moved on you over the course of the night, which could mean the secondary was a little loose and maybe looser at the foot end than the head end, if the UQ migrated toward your head, away from your feet.

Paul from UGQ (sr1355 on the forum) posts once in a while, so maybe he'll have some other suggestions. Don't hesitate to email him with questions either; he's responded promptly to me in the past when I had questions during the order process.
    So tonight I'm going to try two things:
    1) Loop to the head end to give me room to play with tension.
    2) Set secondary tension higher on head and foot ends.

If that solves the problem, boom. I'd still love to figure out a way to get the hardware to work with the Chameleon but UGQ's hooks are simply too small to fit anything of Dutch's.

Images
    Do you mean the little triangle rings of which there are numerous along the length of the UQ on each side? I have honestly never used those.

Do you use the pack hooks on the Chameleon and attach those to the UQ primary suspension? The Chameleon has a total of 8 pack hooks. The ones that share a position with a D-ring are for partial length UQ's, but the 4 that are nearest the ends of the hammock on each side are able to clip onto the primary suspension of a full length UQ.

The Zeppelin also has a couple of pack hooks at the head end near where your shoulder would be. These can attach to the hem of a netless hammock to keep the UQ from slipping off your shoulder, but I've never found that necessary. This should only be used on the outboard shoulder if at all, as hooking both sides to the hammock could potentially allow the UQ to be overstressed and damaged.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    RSBTR UL DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Zepplin
    Suspension
    B.Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Do you mean the little triangle rings of which there are numerous along the length of the UQ on each side? I have honestly never used those.

Do you use the pack hooks on the Chameleon and attach those to the UQ primary suspension? The Chameleon has a total of 8 pack hooks. The ones that share a position with a D-ring are for partial length UQ's, but the 4 that are nearest the ends of the hammock on each side are able to clip onto the primary suspension of a full length UQ.

The Zeppelin also has a couple of pack hooks at the head end near where your shoulder would be. These can attach to the Hem of a netless hammock to keep the UQ from slipping off your shoulder, but I've never found that necessary. This should only be used on the outboard shoulder if at all, as hooking both sides to the hammock could potentially allow the UQ to be overstressed and damaged.
    Exactly. Shoulder and foot end. It always seemed that if I could mate them together that the slipping issue would be solved.
    However. It make sense that a too tight primary would be fighting me anyways. I’ll start there.

-GTP

Images
    Sounds good. Let us know how it goes after your trials tonight. Good luck and I hope you get it nailed!

Do always be mindful of making any "rigid" attachments between the UQ and the hammock. At any point where the two are attached to one another, it's best to have something stretchy like shock cord as part of the attachment. If you did somehow attach those triangles directly to the hammock, and then say you accidentally sat in the underquilt instead of the hammock (it can happen), that could result in damage to the fabric or stitching of the quilt and nobody wants that. Just something to consider.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Sounds like a lot of good advice here for you but I do have a couple of things to note that a lot of new users make the mistake of.

1) Head/Foot Draw Cords need to be pulled snug but not tight. Having these over tight will cause several issues, bunching being one and second the quilt will not be able to "spread" at the head/foot resulting it it coming off shoulders and feet.

2) The Zeppelin is not brand specific and works well with all gathered end hammocks. Simply attach the head and foot biners to your hammock ends, adjust primary suspension, adjust secondary suspension, adjust head/foot draws, attach Pack Hook shoulder lock to guy out on out board shoulder if available.

3) Be sure primary suspension is set correct as it will help "spread" the quilt across the hammock helping to prevent it from creeping during the night.

4) Be sure secondary suspension is set correctly to keep the quilt positioned and "opened" fully along the primary suspension.

And last be not least practice, practice, practice those adjustments. Typically once you get it dialed in you'll need very little adjustment beyond venting at the head end.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    RSBTR UL DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Zepplin
    Suspension
    B.Buckles
    Hey! Thanks for chiming in! One of the reasons y'all are so great!

Love hearing feedback from the creators. I wanted to pick out a couple things.

Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post

1) Head/Foot Draw Cords need to be pulled snug but not tight.
    By this are you speaking to the chords at the draft collars? I think this might have been a part of my original issue. The fear of having a draft probably has me over-tightening. So; snug but with no gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post

2) The Zeppelin is not brand specific and works well with all gathered end hammocks. Simply attach the head and foot biners to your hammock ends, adjust primary suspension, adjust secondary suspension, adjust head/foot draws, attach Pack Hook shoulder lock to guy out on out board shoulder if available.
    So two things here. First, can you speak to the length of the primary suspension? On my 11 foot Cham. I'm having to pull a good amount and to the point it feels like its too tight to begin with, let alone needing any adjustment at all. Is this intended? I've had a great setup even with the primary at its loosest setting but it always felt tight.
    Second; awesome note about using a guyline on the shoulder hook, I'll have to try that out!

Again, thank you for the service and product you provide!
    -GTP

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I have a long/wide Zeppelin and here's what I do to keep it from shifting off my shoulders and feet. I tie a small loop of cord to the head side and foot side of my Dream Hammock tie out. I then tie a similar loop around the head side and foot side of my Zeppelin (on the triangles). I also do this on my HG Incubator as I nest the 2 underquilts. I then secure the loops with a tiny locking carabiner and it stops the underquilt from slipping off my feet and my shoulders. It doesn't appear to add much stress on the underquilts this way as there is a bit of give due to the length of the cord in the loops....

In the photo the top layer is the hammock, the middle layer is my HG Incubator and the outter layer is the Zeppelin. They don't line up exactly but are close enough...
    IMG_20190109_165527.jpg

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    RSBTR UL DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Zepplin
    Suspension
    B.Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    I have a long/wide Zeppelin and here's what I do to keep it from shifting off my shoulders and feet. I tie a small loop of cord to the head side and foot side of my Dream Hammock tie out. I then tie a similar loop around the head side and foot side of my Zeppelin (on the triangles). I also do this on my HG Incubator as I nest the 2 underquilts. I then secure the loops with a tiny locking carabiner and it stops the underquilt from slipping off my feet and my shoulders. It doesn't appear to add much stress on the underquilts this way as there is a bit of give due to the length of the cord in the loops....

In the photo the top layer is the hammock, the middle layer is my HG Incubator and the outter layer is the Zeppelin. They don't line up exactly but are close enough...
    IMG_20190109_165527.jpg
    I was going to try that tonight with shock chord! That looks great!

-GTP

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I personally have never tried to adjust an underquilt by myself. As soon as I get a new underquilt, I get an experienced user to adjust it for me. It just doesn't seem even possible to me to properly adjust the UQ if I can't see what's going on underneath me.

I suppose I could hang the hammock in my office and use a mirror to try and adjust it, but it just seems easier to get an experienced user to help.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I personally have never tried to adjust an underquilt by myself. As soon as I get a new underquilt, I get an experienced user to adjust it for me. It just doesn't seem even possible to me to properly adjust the UQ if I can't see what's going on underneath me.

I suppose I could hang the hammock in my office and use a mirror to try and adjust it, but it just seems easier to get an experienced user to help.
    Ya I do it by myself but it is a real struggle and I'm sure it looks comical as I flip and flop around trying to reach a hand down around the bottom side to feel for gaps and stuff...I agree it's best to get help!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast