WBRR / WBXLC
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY Costco/Synth
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles

Thread strength/size vs fabric hole size

I guess the title says it all. Lately I have been using Tera 80 for my sewing and am about to sew a new bridge with it (I recently sewed a bridge with it and it’s working great). I picked it because it’s supposed to be stronger than Mara of similar size and it’s easy to sew. I’m able to use a size 11 needle also, making the holes punched in the ripstop nice and small.
    I do have some Tera 60 (which is thicker), but even though the thread is stronger I’m afraid the holes in the fabric may become the weak point in the design since I’ll have to use a 14 or 16 needle.
    What do y’all use? Has anyone ever performed an experiment to test this? It’s this really no big deal?
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If the Tera 60 matches the fabric then it shouldn’t be a problem. I would make sure you have an appropriate stitch length so the holes are not too close together.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You're overthinking it. Needle is matched to thread. The needle scarf (the scalloped portion on the other side of the needle eye) needs to be large enough for the thread to easily nest inside as the needle is driven through the fabric. The thread should fill the hole once the stitch is sewed. You don't want the thread jammed into the space. There was a thread floating around where someone did an at home test sewing some ripstop together and dropping a 10lb barbell attached to one side to see how strong the thread was. I don't remember any of them failing. The largest needle sizes (as in larger than recommended) had a bit more elongation but nothing terrible if I remember correctly. They also did one with tight stitches and like Bubba mention that one did fail. Too many holes and they basically sawed the material in half. Once a load shocked the remaining material it tore clean in half. Proper/general settings.

My entire first set of gear was done with size 14 needles because that was the thread manufacturer recommended and everything worked fine. Since then I've migrated down a size or two like mentioned and that has all worked well too. The rough usual recommendation here is something like a 12 or 14 needle and a 2mm to 3mm stitch length.

Keep in mind the needle that the thread company calls out is meant for industrial uses, ie machines running triple shifts all day long. For that kind of speed and run time heat build on the needle becomes an issue. It's more economical to run a larger needle that doesn't result in broken threads than it is to stop production and re-thread. As most garments are basically cotton the "larger" holes made by the needle go away once the cotton gets a little tension on it. I usually run 1 or two sizes down myself. If they say 14/16 needle I start at 12 and move up if there's an issue. While we might like to think that we are the end consumer the reality is the thread amount we buy and Joanns sells on a day to day basis is nothing to what the garment industry consumes daily. That's their real user and the specs reflect that reality.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I use Tera 80, 60, and 40, but I limit the 80 to gear that won't have high stress. I like MoldyFrog's thinking, but I generally use larger needles and haven't had any problems. Most of the time I'll use a 14 needle with Tera 60. I may try smaller needles now. I've seen Tera 80 start to break in a high stress location on a bridge hammock, but I fixed it by running another seam with Tera 60. The additional needle holes didn't seem to cause a problem. I tend to favor long stitch settings unless I'm enclosing down.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBXLC
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY Costco/Synth
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Thanks for the responses. Since I’m making another bridge, I’m gonna give the Tera 60 a go with a size 14 needle and adjust as necessary.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBXLC
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY Costco/Synth
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Quick update - I’m well under way with my new bridge project. I’m using Tera 60 with an 80/12 microtex with great results. My machine is running silky smooth with this combo.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    Quick update - I’m well under way with my new bridge project. I’m using Tera 60 with an 80/12 microtex with great results. My machine is running silky smooth with this combo.
    Good to hear. Expecting pics
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBRR / WBXLC
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY Costco/Synth
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Just a quick update - I had to switch to a size 14 needle after I noticed the thread starting to fray. No problems since

• + New Posts