Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    So I carry a pair of Amsteel dog bones that let me cut the link distance in half. .
    I have this problem too!! Could you please explain how you do this ‘cutting in half magic trick’ ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Measure the distance, loop to loop, on your daisy chain to see what half a step might be. Some products have links that are 6 inches apart, some are 5 inches. Measure - don't take the manufacturer's word. It's not that they wouldn't be telling the truth, it's just that there might be some ... stretching.

So know you know you'll want a 2.5 - 3 inch "link". Note that I never have material on material - like amsteel on webbing. I always put some metal line (ring/carabiner) between them. That's just me. Don't worry about it. Imagine a carabiner in the daisy chain loop and attached to that carabiner is a dog bone or continuous loop that is larks headed to a ring at the end of the hammock. This is were words get cumbersome.

Instead of the full length of the dog bone, loop end to loop end, going from the ring to the biner, imagine just passing the dog bone though the ring and connecting both end loops of the dog bone to the biner - that cuts the length of the dogbone in half. Also, I could fold the dog bone in half, pass both strands though the ring, and clip the middle of the folded part and both end loops to the biner - cutting the length to a quarter of full length. - lot's of ways to "adjust" a continuous loop or dog bone to a shorter connecting length. I just need it to shorten about half the distance between two daisy chain links.

Same "folding" works for a continuous loop. All kinds of ways to bridge the connection to get a shorter distance. Instead fo working at the hammock end like I do, you can put the "adjustment" between the carabiner and the daisy chain loop.

If you need more info, comment and I'll open another thread. But the essence is I have this approximate 8 inch Amsteel section in my suspension chain and I can fold it, larks head it, remove it, etc. to give half a step distance in the daisy chain link.

One last picture. So I have the hammock at chain loop A and If I move to chain loop B that one step is 5 inches. So I fold my dog bone or Continuous loop so it's 2.5 inches shorter. Now when I move to loop B, the hammock end to end distance is actually only 2.5 inches further way instead of the 5 inches step further away, because folding the dog bone brought it half a step closer.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Measure the distance, loop to loop, on your daisy chain to see what half a step might be. Some products have links that are 6 inches apart, some are 5 inches. Measure - don't take the manufacturer's word. It's not that they wouldn't be telling the truth, it's just that there might be some ... stretching.

So know you know you'll want a 2.5 - 3 inch "link". Note that I never have material on material - like amsteel on webbing. I always put some metal line (ring/carabiner) between them. That's just me. Don't worry about it. Imagine a carabiner in the daisy chain loop and attached to that carabiner is a dog bone or continuous loop that is larks headed to a ring at the end of the hammock. This is were words get cumbersome.

Instead of the full length of the dog bone, loop end to loop end, going from the ring to the biner, imagine just passing the dog bone though the ring and connecting both end loops of the dog bone to the biner - that cuts the length of the dogbone in half. Also, I could fold the dog bone in half, pass both strands though the ring, and clip the middle of the folded part and both end loops to the biner - cutting the length to a quarter of full length. - lot's of ways to "adjust" a continuous loop or dog bone to a shorter connecting length. I just need it to shorten about half the distance between two daisy chain links.

Same "folding" works for a continuous loop. All kinds of ways to bridge the connection to get a shorter distance. Instead fo working at the hammock end like I do, you can put the "adjustment" between the carabiner and the daisy chain loop.

If you need more info, comment and I'll open another thread. But the essence is I have this approximate 8 inch Amsteel section in my suspension chain and I can fold it, larks head it, remove it, etc. to give half a step distance in the daisy chain link.

One last picture. So I have the hammock at chain loop A and If I move to chain loop B that one step is 5 inches. So I fold my dog bone or Continuous loop so it's 2.5 inches shorter. Now when I move to loop B, the hammock end to end distance is actually only 2.5 inches further way instead of the 5 inches step further away, because folding the dog bone brought it half a step closer.
    HYOH, and keep on keepin' on with whatever works for you, but this is one of the reasons why so many people are fans of whoopie slings or becket hitch suspensions!

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    HYOH, and keep on keepin' on with whatever works for you, but this is one of the reasons why so many people are fans of whoopie slings or becket hitch suspensions!
    Or straps with some form of cinch buckle.

Or...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Or straps with some form of cinch buckle.

Or...
    Yeah!

Or...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12