Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JT4446 View Post
    I made one. Used Gemini technique of grosgrain loops secured by camsnaps to create a footbox that uses shock cord to close up the foot end. I seam ripped the horizontal seams and took two Cdq's used cam snaps to off-set the baffles. I offset by 2.5 baffles so that the 2 layer quilt is wider than a single cdq by 2.5 baffles on each side, but it is only 1 layer thick on the sides. Then I put cam snaps in so that I can attach a third cdq layer to make a three layer top quilt for winter. Have been very warm to 17 degrees with three layers and have used the 2 layer confuguration for down to 40 degrees with no problem. If you have made a Gemini you can just play around 2 or three quilts and come up with your own design easy with no sewing. I have used the similar techniques to take a CDQ and attach it to an underquilt protector to make a single layer underquilt and protector that I can use in summer. It can also be used to add another layer of warmth to my gemini.

TJ,

I made a Gemini underquilt with two CDT's and I get the same temperature rating you got. I am thinking of adding a third quilt and having a warmer underquilt for the winter time.

I wonder how to make this. Do you attach the third quilt between the first two, or do you attach the third quilt under the first two? Do you attach the third one in either case by using the grossgrain ribbon, or do you put the snaps for the third quilt right to one of the other two quilts? I can see advantages and disadvantages to either setup.

I love using the cam snaps. I have used them to attach stuff to my tarp, and to make a ground cloth with loops at the corners for staking down. I may even make more attachment points for my backpack.

Thanks for your info.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

it is really easy once you have the Gemini Made. What I did is take the thrid CDQ and seam ripped it in the opposite direction. So I took out the vertical seams and left the horizontal. This avoids the seams lining up on the layers.

Then, have your Gemini laid out with JUST the bottom layer. Use Cam snaps to attach the new "middle" layer to the bottom layer. You do not need a ton of attachment points. All four corners and then 2 more on the short sides and 3 or 4 more on the long sides. You then just snap the new middle layer to the bottom and then take the top layer that you already made and attach to the bottom using the Gros-grain loops just like you did with a 2 layer.

Can't tell you how good this has worked for me. This makes the Gemini a convertible "triplet". Only donwshide is it is heavy, but can't beat the price or the performance.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12