Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    Anyone out there want to chime in on their short incubator? I'm 5 foot 7 - right on the edge of full coverage for the short, and I'm wondering if I can coax a couple photos of some fellas sporting the short incubator.
    I'm the same height as you and I've had both a standard ( my old 0° ) and a short ( my new -10°). Length wise I am right on the edge with little wiggle room in the short. I've used it WELL past it's -10° rating and not having a few extra inches didn't cause any problems. That said, in hindsight I should have gotten a standard length. When I had my 0° I knew I had a few inches above my head and below my feet so if I wasn't in the sweet spot I would still have full coverage. Now with the -10 I still have full coverage, but if I slide in my sleep due to the hammock not being high enough on the foot end or from me moving back too far to ease the calf ridge , I could end up with no down under my feet or head.... NOT good when it's below zero! Don't get me wrong, the -10° 'Bator is absolutely AMAZING and has never once come close to not being enough even past -15° ~ -20°. I just have to make sure my hammock and Bator suspensions are both 100% dialed in and I use the quilts width and a good diagonal lay to create as much room for error as possible . I'd say go with a regular length so you know for sure you'll have 100% coverage 100% of the time. For a rating above 30° it might not be a big deal but below 10° or so you don't want to loose one bit of precious under you. Hope this helps! I've got pics of both in my albums here and vids of them on my YT channel ~ Chesapeake Hammock and Outdoors. Good luck, let me know if you have anymore questions!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    One thing I missed with the short, and happy to have back now, is the coverage when sliding way up for breakfast from the hammock. My back is still covered without having to try and adjust the quilt. The little things.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

short incubator

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of getting a 10 or 20 degree incubator. Is the short 72 inches measured down the middle from head to toe?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    I too am 5'7 on a good day. I have a short incubator that only gets used when my whole family goes out because I love my Phoenix so much. I, too use a down pillow so I position the back of the Phoenix so it just covers my shoulders. Configured like this, only the lower portions of my calves and ankles are exposed. Down to 40 or so, I don't do anything with my feet, but below that I used either a Dutch or Thermarest inflatable sitpad and have no issues down to the twenties. I like the Phoenix better for many reasons: Obviously it costs less, weighs less, and is less bulk to pack. However, I also find it easier to get a good, draft proof setup with the Phoenix.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12