HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip

Question BMBH suspension set-up and mods

Not sure if i should post this in the JRB catagory or suspension, but I suspect it will diverge into a general suspension topic.

I got a chance to use my JRB BMBH hammock this past weekend (luv it!), but had a difficult time setting up the suspension. It was my understanding that the web system with tri-buckle was intended to eliminate the use of tree straps, in which case it would be simple and fairly light.

However I encountered two problems:
    1. It was harder to thread the tri-buckles and slide them along to the optimum place with gloves on and wind blowing @ 22° than i would have thought.

2. When I got one side adjusted it would slide down the tree when as I was adjusting the other side. Back and forth, back and forth; I felt like I was in a Laural and Hardy skit.

This is how I set it up:

The second day I rigged up an alternate method using my HH Tree Huggers, Dutch clip, steel rings from the hardware store, and a carabiener.

In use:

It worked great except the carabiner allowed too much ring separation.

So, my question is this: Is the above pictured JRB OEM suspension set up correct?

IF it is, then I think I may convert to making my own tree huggers with sewn in rings (to eliminate the carabiners)

Suggestions?
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Make your tree straps a little longer to bring the biner right down to the ring where all three straps intersect.

EDIT: That doesnt give you any adjustment, however. Perhaps a whoopie between the biner and ring? You could build the fixed eye into the ring and hook the adjustable eye to the biner. Grizz uses the UCR, which would also work just fine.

Im still waiting on parts for my BMBH suspension upgrade... SHould be here middle of next week.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just got back from an over night trip in my BMBH and sworn to remove the tri-glide and covert to cinch buckles or whoopie slings. After a year's use of this hammock the only part I hate is those tri-glides. Do yourself a favor and do the same.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Do you have a zoomed in version of the top pic? It's a little hard to see but I think you do have it set up wrong. The webbing should go through the tri-glide, around the tree, then back through the tri-glide with a half hitch on the opposite side of the tri-glide as you have it.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Do you have a zoomed in version of the top pic? It's a little hard to see but I think you do have it set up wrong. The webbing should go through the tri-glide, around the tree, then back through the tri-glide with a half hitch on the opposite side of the tri-glide as you have it.
    Yep, you're right, that's what he's doing. Probably his fingers got too cold to push the webbing through BOTH slots on the return trip from the tree.

Aside from that point, I think the rest of his observations are on target, although the Laurel and Hardy routine might not be needed if the webbing is long enough
    to go around the tree one and a half times. Makes it a bit harder to adjust though.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Is that red amsteel? nice, also like the figure 9s. Tarp is sharp looking too and that looks like a Mt.Wash4...nice setup.
    I think Opie sells a replacement system for the BMBH suspension using whoopies? well I think he was thinking about it but not sure....a lot progress through several suspensions and end up happily with the almost infinite and simple adjustment with whoopies; with them you'll still have tree huggers but you've already got the Dutch Clips.

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Wow! I was just down in the basement this evening putting away camping gear, rearranging camping gear, and of course that means mostly fiddling with camping gear. I was looking at the HH Tree Hugger contraption in the third picture when I suddenly it dawned on me that i didn't even need the carabiners at all if I simply attached the rings to the end loop in the Hugger with a girth hitch!!! eDuh!

Thanks for the suggestions. I been watching Grizz's bridge mods and trying to figure out how Opie's slings fit into my system. I'd like to optimize with what I have first, before discarding the whole OEM system and replacing it. (although ultimately that's what might happen.) If you don't do that, then it's harder to compare and appreciate the merits of a whole new system.

Opie: I see some merit in your suggestion of making the straps longer. And, in fact, You could make the tree strap and suspension all one and bring it down to the ring buckle just above the center Bridge ring. (a side benefit would be that the adjustment part would be under the tarp)

Roadtorque: You are correct in your observation that the return end of the webbing does not pass through the Tri-buckle a second time. Grizz is partially correct as to why.
    Although it may be correct to pass through again, and for maximum strength you would, but I've found that just once through does fine, and the slipped half hitch is just insurance.

Grizz: you are correct about going around the tree another turn to keep it from slipping, and you also correct about the extra hassle to adjust and center the whole thing.

MedicineMan: Sorry no Amsteel here (wish I had some to try out). The tarp tensioners are Niteyes, and were an experiment for me. (usually use a truckers hitch). Normally I don't like depending on hardware, but I'm liking these. (be sure to use the aluminum ones, not plastic. And I wouldn't hang my body weight on 'em)

The tarp is my largest of three Cooke Custom Sewing tarps about 10'x11'. I've been tarping almost exclusively for more than 6 years. I love these things, and I have a self designed vestibule that fits all of them for ground sleeping. And you are correct, that's a MW-4 underquilt (and Sierra Sniveler for the top)--berry, berry cozy!!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    Tri-Glides are a pain for me. I just pass one end of a tree hugger through the other end. Doesn't slide down the tree at all and you can then set up the hammock easily.

Still working on suspension mod. Waiting on new Ti-Goat trekking poles to get here.

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I never cared for the tri glide system. I did a Griz mod to my BMBH this week end. I left the rings on , just got rid of the webbing for now. Much easier to use. I was thinking of putting a ridge line from end ring to end ring. This way I could make a net, that could be an a frame design. I never like the netting down low in your face.
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Right now I have Dynaglide whoopies from each corner up to the center ring. Slept in it last nite and set-up was pretty much a breeze. You could eliminate all the webbing and the center ring by having whoopies off each corner up to a biner on your hugger.

BTW... I push the limits of the new BMBH... Im 6'3 and 265.

• + New Posts