Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Superfly VS. Dutchware Winter Tarp

I'm looking at winter tarps. My budget is right at the $150.00 mark shipped.

I've decided to purchase rather than DIY a tarp. Two that are coming to mind are a Superfly or a Dutchware Xenon. I do want side panel pull outs.

Anyone have thoughts, opinions or other suggestions?
    Got time to breath, you got time for music - Brisco Darlin

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    Don’t have first hand experience with the Dutch winter tarp, but I do own a Dutch Xenon Hex and also just took delivery of a Warbonnet Superfly from a forum member. Both seem to be well constructed. My Superfly is the 20d SilPoly, which is significantly different than the Xenon fabric. The Xenon has a rip stop grid, while the 20d does not. Both seem light and durable.
    Also, my Dutch Hex had all perimeter hems, and ridge, enclosed in grosgrain, while the Superfly uses a rolled hem on the perimeter, and only the ridge seam is enclosed in grosgrain. I really don’t know if there is a practical difference between the two techniques. I have yet to set up the Superfly except in my basement, but it is huge compared to the Hex (obviously)...can’t wait too use it. I have a fair amount of use on the Hex, and it has proven to be bombproof.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either of these cottage vendors...great stuff from both.
    Last edited by 100 Ton; 01-17-2019 at 18:40.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I don't own either, but I believe Xenon has a lower hydrostatic head than silpoly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 11
    Insulation
    HG/UGQ/EE/LL
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    UGQ makes an excellent winter tarp, also. An added feature is their Winter Dream tarp has snaps on the doors.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sabinajiles View Post
    UGQ makes an excellent winter tarp, also. An added feature is their Winter Dream tarp has snaps on the doors.
    I agree about UGQ, but the regular Winterdream will probably come a little over the stated budget. I'd suggest the Penny Pincher Winterdream as a contender, which will meet budget even with the panel pulls and door snaps.

https://ugqoutdoor.com/tarps/penny-pincher-tarps/

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 Ton View Post
    Don’t have first hand experience with the Dutch winter tarp, but I do own a Dutch Xenon Hex and also just took delivery of a Warbonnet Superfly from a forum member. Both seem to be well constructed. My Superfly is the 20d SilPoly, which is significantly different than the Xenon fabric. The Xenon has a rip stop grid, while the 20d does not. Both seem light and durable.
    Also, my Dutch Hex had all perimeter hems, and ridge, enclosed in grosgrain, while the Superfly uses a rolled hem on the perimeter, and only the ridge seam is enclosed in grosgrain. I really don’t know if there is a practical difference between the two techniques. I have yet to set up the Superfly except in my basement, but it is huge compared to the Hex (obviously)...can’t wait too use it. I have a fair amount of use on the Hex, and it has proven to be bombproof.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either of these cottage vendors...great stuff from both.
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I don't own either, but I believe Xenon has a lower hydrostatic head than silpoly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Just to clarify for the OP, Dutch Xenon IS 20d Silpoly, aka silicone impregnated polyester.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierT View Post
    Just to clarify for the OP, Dutch Xenon IS 20d Silpoly, aka silicone impregnated polyester.
    True, but it has quite a different feel than the 20d silpoly that Warbonnet uses.

Xenon is rather silky, and Warbonnet's silpoly is a little more "crinkly."

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    I have a Ditchwarexenon xenon winter tarp that I purchased a couple months ago when he had his pre black Friday sale. I ordered mine with the side panel pulls as well. Overall I like the tarp, its done its job the 4 weekends I've taken it out. I wish the doors had snaps or Velcro to keep them shut. But I've mitigated that by running shock cord to the opposing side to close the doors.
    The fabric is good and lightweight. I opted for the moss green, which actually looks great outdoors. Mine is also 12' ridge line: if I were to do it again I would just do 11, 12' is HUGE.
    If your worried about staying in budget, look at Hammock gear journey tarp. Same fabric but the panel pulls are included, and the tarp has gross grain around the perimeter. The journey 2 is even cheaper and will ship faster.
    Dutch 11' xenon tarp with added panel pulls: $160
    Hammock gear Journey with pulls included: $129
    HG journey 2: $80

Good luck and have fun with whatever tarp you decide on.
    Last edited by arcana73; 01-18-2019 at 15:26.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Don't know about the Dutch options but I believe sealing the panel pulls on the superfly is DIY. And it does need to be done if you will be in close contact - like in a Ridge Runner. Consider this ... it is all an evolution; I've moved though the gauntlet of suspension options. One movement that is catching my eye is those who use internal poles just love them. I'd really have to consider if I want panels pulls on my next trap. I do want the extra space. But with panel pulls that means 2 to 4 extra tie-outs and/or ground stakes.

The interior poles weigh more but don't compare their weight to zero. Subtract the saving on extra guy lines and stake outs (and in the winter those snow stakes are heavier than Shepard hooks). I suggest reading some treads on internal poles - just to cover all bases - and see if you want to apply the money you'd spend on the panel pull option to the cost to a pole mod.

In your research, understand that the cost of adding the poles themselves can be much higher than if you make them yourself.

I have tried the external pole; placing a pole over the ridge line and down to the panel pulls. It opened up the interior but took a bit more fussing (and I still had to seal the SF panels). The two interior poles option I've seen in WinterDream photos looked ideal.

Haven't made up my mind on door closures. I have one with Velcro but I hate to subject myself and neighbors to the pull sound if I have to upon/close the door often and/or late at night. I like the snaps option as long as they work in freezing cold or rain. I made a toggle closure for my JRB Universal. It's quiet and maybe the slight openness is a feature - giving just enough airflow while blocking gusts.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 01-19-2019 at 18:26.

No complaints here with the Superfly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast