Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That last pic is one sweet style...you should hit the runways!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    other good ideas from this guy

http://www.andrewskurka.com/AK10/gearlists.php

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Down to the low 20s, the max I can wear is a Patagonia long-sleeve shirt & a fleece vest over my WB tee shirt. But, my pillow, is a knit hat & is actually enough for the 20s. Knit nylon gloves are part of my summer gear, & at 1/2 oz for the pair I don't worry about the weight, esp as I have needed them in July in the mountains.

If I suspect it will get below about 23, I just add a Chemical heat pack, one of the large ones & my summer gear will do down to the high teens.

Below that (to single digits) & I add a under armor long sleeve shirt, a nylon vest, heavier knit hat & wool fingerless gloves.
    At Mt rogers, on Thursday PM I did wear my "Puffy" coat, but not the other 2 nights. So, I can get down to around 7 or 8 with minimal extra clothing.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Wow - that's pretty impressive. I use the NS for nearly all of my 3 season trips, but there's no way I can take it down that low w/o adding a lot of warm clothes! Below freezing I use the JRB hood and it makes a huge difference, but still...I guess I'm a cold weather wussy!

I've been trading out my NS for the MW4 as a top quilt lately.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    I tried out some ideas wearing more clothing under less quilt and it worked OK.

Trip report here.

On my torso I wore an Ibex woolie long sleeved shirt, a Kinsman pullover (Momentum 90 and 3.0 oz Primaloft Sport).

My head was covered with a Navy surplus wool watch cap, and a home made fleece balaclava over that (helped keep the cap from crawling off my head while sleeping): the balaclava has a wide-flaring shoulder section so it stays tucked in to the neck of the pullover really well. I pulled the balaclave over my mouth while sleeping.

On my legs I had a pair of Duluth Trading Co. wool longjohns with a pair of lightweight fleece pants (Eddie Bauer men's fleece PJs). I also draped my Minima vest (more Momentum90/Primaloft sport 3oz) over my legs since they were a little cold w/ just the longjohns and pants.

My feet were in REI lightweight hiker wool socks with some home made Momentum90/Primaloft 3oz Sport booties.

I did not wear anything on my hands, although I did have fleece gloves available.

I slept under my JRB Shenandoah 40 degree quilt.

I sleep cold and I usually wear wool longjohns and a cap and socks even at 40 degrees under that quilt.

The low for the night just outside my tarp was 31 degrees. I was really surprised I was warm and comfortable in the clothes and quilt, but also pleased. However, I think if it had been any colder I would have been slightly uncomfortable.

On past trips, I would have brought all those clothes for hanging around the campfire at night, in addition to the top for the wool longjohns and I would have lugged my 30 degree down sleeping bag instead of the 40 degree quilt. I would have slept in socks, wool longjohns and a cap.

So I had a lighter pack, more versatility, and was still comfortable!

I had a thin pad and a poly quilt underneath.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    Custom made multicam
    Tarp
    Custom 40DMulticam
    Insulation
    Thermolit/pad/bivy
    Suspension
    rope/straps/biners
    Tagged for subscription.........I'll comment later

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL Travel
    Tarp
    cat-e-nary-cut
    Insulation
    bearskin rug
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

good thread!

I have been concerned about expense.
    I already have nice gear for the mountains and for winter. It isn't easy to work that all out.
    I like to be active or inside my "cocoon".
    I have never been one of the duck hunters or ice fishermen, sitting hours on end in Winter.
    The information in this thread makes me think I will be able to use what I have, adding only a 3/4 underquilt and either a top quilt or perhaps one of the No-Snivelers.
    I mention a top-quilt because top-quilts just get better and better, and so, I am considering abandoning my biggest warmest sleeping bag.
    I really do not want to drag out the pulk for overnights for winter fun in the back-country. I use the pulk to get groceries to my front door.
    I haven't seen the Psolar or PolarWrap rebreather-type facemasks or balaclavas mentioned here.
    I have a Psolar.EX for extra warmth (not having to heat in-breath much at all and keeping the warmth that I would otherwise lose on the out-breath) and for keeping the moisture of my breath off my sleep system and avoiding condensation.
    I also benefit from "warm hat" "warm hands" "warm feet".
    For winter, I wear -50 Baffin boots.
    Last edited by Connie; 04-21-2010 at 20:49.

Hammock
    Custom made multicam
    Tarp
    Custom 40DMulticam
    Insulation
    Thermolit/pad/bivy
    Suspension
    rope/straps/biners
    When it was down in the teens for a month or so here I was wearing military surplus (MS) silk weight (Polartec Polyester) top and bottoms, military surplus polypropylene bottoms, fleece top and bottoms, smartwool medium weight socks, MS polypropylene neck gaiter, and an Icebreaker wool beenie. I would pull the neck gaiter and my sleeping bag right up to my nose. This would help temper the outside air with the heat rising out of the bag. This way I'm not having to breath in 15°F ambient air. It would be more like 50°F. That was the hardest part for me to get by was trying to sleep while breathing that cold of air.
    Quote Originally Posted by exdiver View Post
    I roll more than a turd beetle.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    So how do you use clothing in your sleep system
    I bring enough TQ or UQ for the expected temperatures, so that I have enough warm clothing to put on case the temps get colder or the conditions get worse than expected.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast