HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

2018 Thru Hike Wrap Up

Due to Snow, I thought this morning would be a good time to post this:

2018 Post-AT Thru Hike Hammock breakdown

I completed a thru hike of the Appalachian Trail and I thought I would put together a post covering the hammock related gear I used and how it worked out for me. I researched and read so much information provided by other hammockers/hikers, so hopefully this will only add to the wealth of information.

My Hike:

I started hiking on March 15th and I climbed Katahdin on September 1st. I turned 58 the second day on the trail (did the approach and couldn’t stop the first day). I weighed 190 lbs when I started my hike, and 150 lbs. after 171 days (11 zeros) on trail. I spent 94 nights in the hammock, 22 nights in shelters, 1 night in a hut and the rest in hostel/house/hotel.

How I "HYOH"

To put my gear choices in context, I tried to go lightweight without compromising comfort with a few luxury items. A great nights sleep was number one on my list, along with carrying an external battery pack, phone, and AWOL guide to help journal. I was not on a tight budget, and felt this was a once in a lifetime journey and retirement present. Gear list pack weight was 20 pounds but Amicalola Scale departure weight was 34 lbs with 4 days of food and water.

The hammock:

The Standard Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL

I chose this hammock because it seemed to have it all and although it wasn’t the XLC, I have never really desired to remove the bugnet and prefer it attached. I really liked the the foot box sewn in as well as the gear shelf that was used to hold items nightly. I could be swayed by the Chameleon and other choices with the changeable Socks now being offered. Many more options than when I purchased in 2014.

Suspension

Pair of Ti Dutch Clips on 12' Dyneema Tree Straps w/ Beetle Buckles

I liked the standard WB straps but they weren’t removable, and the Beetles made it just as easy to hook/unhook the hammock. This allowed the straps (especially when wet) to be put in Mesh Sacks and stored on the outside of my pack, where they’d dry and not drip water (or sap). The hammock was always stuffed in the double ended stuff Sac and stored dry in the pack. I also carried two 6ft Dog Bones as insurance for tree distance; but only used a couple of times in shelters when using the hammock as a bivy because of bugs. I wouldn’t carry them again.

The Tarp

Hammock Gear Cuben Fiber Palace Tarp
    2 - 12 feet zing-it line with one Dutchware Stingerz and one Wasp.
    A mesh ‘snakeskin‘ from Hammock Gear gear for tarp storage
    4 aluminum MSR Groundhog stakes with ~6 feet of reflectix wrapped around them with 4 Hookworms to attach to the shockcord loops on the four tie outs of the tarp. I also carried 4 Shepard Hooks for door management, but only used them on a view occasions.

I believe the tarp selection is the most important hammock choice for a successful Thru Hike, IMHO. I was warmer, drier and happier with this light weight tarp, compared to other hammocker’s I met on trail. I also was happy with the mesh snakeskins (over the CF that I originally purchased) for easy deployment and storage on the outside side of the my ULA Ohm Pack. The doors made all the difference on the AT, while also giving some privacy, especially late night, early morning pee time with others around. I hate messing with knots and consider the various Dutchware bling essential. They are quickly looped/set and easy to adjust; I never had one come loose on me. I kept the hookworms attached to the reflectix and permanently tied to my stakes. I liked keeping the line wrapped around the stakes making storing it (tangle free) a lot easier, plus made it harder to forget or lose a stake. I switched the reflectix/hookworms to the four Tarp corners the last 100 miles hoping for a quicker breakdown (it took time to wrap cordage around each stake). It really is a personal choice as to what works best for each person, individually. I used the doors more and porch mode less then I though I would because of the early bedtime, even if I was just Journaling before sleeping. I never regretted hammocking, however, set up and takedown did take 3-5 minutes more than my tenting partners. Maybe it was just me...

Sleep Insulation

HG 20* Burrow top quilt – UGQ 50* Flight Jacket - WB 20* Yeti underquilt –Thermarest Z seat butt pad - NeoAir Pad and a DIY Barca Lounger.

I used a 3/4 length under quilt, so my butt pad doubled as my foot insulation as well. The 3/4 saved weight and was plenty warm even in the two early Nor’easters. The underquilt was never too hot, and easily adjusted by venting and less sleep clothing. Probably more surprising is that I carried both top quilts the entire way as well as a NeoAir Pad. It sounds crazy but the 50* Flight Jacket only weighs 10.35 oz. and was used more in NH and Maine than I would have ever imagined. However, there were also a few nights that the 20* degree saved me when clear skies caused a one night drop in temperature in a higher than normal Final two state hike. The combination was even more important for the nights I stayed in Hostels as well as Shelter stays starting after the Fontana Hilton. I often slept on top of the 20* quilt and pulled the 50* as a cover/sheet. Especially at a high end Motel in Adkins VA. (NOT)! I thought the 1/8 in Gossamer Pad in Tyvik Barca Lounger would be enough to get me through the Smokies. However, a horrible night in the Fontana Hilton followed by Derrick Knob Shelter and I purchased the Neo Air at the Gatlingburg NOC. After the first night of use, I never looked back, using it when weather forced me into a shelter or hostel bunk beds with poor padding. I would take it again, without a doubt! Many tenters complained of leaking pads, mine was solid the entire trip and still in use. The Barca Lounger (6oz) took the dirt of the shelter floor and lined my pack giving extra padding. I would probably choose a Lighter Tyvik sheet in the future. Again, gear and carry weight is a personal choice/decision. No one else carries your pack our uses your set up! For example I saw one young buck roll into a shelter late, Pull the dirtiest sleeping back ever seen out of his pack and curl up on the floor and immediately started snoring! Definitely an Ultralight Hiker! Didn’t change my mind as I laid my head back down on my S2S Aeros Pillow and fell fast asleep myself! P.S. I tried the ZPack Pillow Sac, Down Jacket as a Pillow and the HG Down Pillow prior to fully committing to the Aeros. I also couldn’t use a pillow until I was back home in my own bed!

Post hike Musings

I am a 2,000 Miler and an AT Thru Hiker! So everything worked. My worries and stress motivated me all the way to Amicalola. However, 2017 AT Thru Hiker and forums member “Shrewd” gave me the best advice when he stated, “Man, You’re way over thinking this! It well all work itself out on the trail”. That is exactly what happened, The trail provided! Especially finding a place to hang. In fact, I found the hammock to be better suited to most camping conditions on the AT. I only went to the ground once, exiting the Smokies when Standing Bear Hostel was booked solid. Although it worked and I even avoided “fleas” and also stayed dry when it rained during the night; I never chose to repeat this Tarp set up again. From a vicious snowstorm at Muskrat Creek Shelter, to Constant Rain in the Shenandoah’s, all the way to The final night in the Birches; my most comfortable nights of sleep occurred hanging between trees! My Top three hang spots were number 1. Single Site looking south, back over Watauga Lake 2. Pierce Pond Lazy Afternoon spent sitting in the hammock with the tarp flipped back on itself. 3. Steps from a Sandy Beach on Mary Jo Lake. The most expensive piece of gear was the Tarp and well worth it. Especially the doors that kept the Pack and shoes dry underneath the hammock. Although, once I was awakened by a Porcupine one night in PA, I often hung my Solomon’s by an S-Biner from the foot end strap and the fairly empty pack from the head end. During the day, those S-Biner’s held my Camp/Water Crocs on the outside of the pack. Hammocking has made hiking so much more civilized!

In the end, just Keep the Faith and Keep HikN^.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

Congratulations and well done. You and I are about the same age, so that gives me a big boost. I especially thank you for the concise organization of your post above. It's a pleasure to read.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Much respect and thanks for the report.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    I needed to read this today. Thank you for posting. Congrats to your success. I can’t wait to give myself an early retirement gift too

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Nice write up and thanks for sharing. It must be a 'faith' thing but so so many thru-hikers talk about the trail providing. Now if one couldn't only start with that 'faith' but I guess it's earned along the way. A couple of questions for you.
    - Which Aeros pillow did you carry, the S2S Ultralight or the regular S2S?
    - Did the Neo Air not get on your nerves with all that crackling?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Nice write up and thanks for sharing. It must be a 'faith' thing but so so many thru-hikers talk about the trail providing. Now if one couldn't only start with that 'faith' but I guess it's earned along the way. A couple of questions for you.
    - Which Aeros pillow did you carry, the S2S Ultralight or the regular S2S?
    - Did the Neo Air not get on your nerves with all that crackling?
    Thanks for the support of the write up. I think we start with the Faith, but the trail confirms it on a daily basis at a slower speed to make it more recognizable. I loved the speed and routine of the thru hike.

I used the regular S2S Aeros Pillow and felt it was the best size, not to big not to small. Also easily adjustable by the air valve.

The Neo Air didn’t seem to crack as much as I was expecting and in a shelter, with so many various noises, it became part of the “norm” and wasn’t an issue. Honestly, after 17+ miles a day, sleeping never seemed to be to much of any issue.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Thanks for the support of the write up. I think we start with the Faith, but the trail confirms it on a daily basis at a slower speed to make it more recognizable. I loved the speed and routine of the thru hike.

I used the regular S2S Aeros Pillow and felt it was the best size, not to big not to small. Also easily adjustable by the air valve.

The Neo Air didn’t seem to crack as much as I was expecting and in a shelter, with so many various noises, it became part of the “norm” and wasn’t an issue. Honestly, after 17+ miles a day, sleeping never seemed to be to much of any issue.
    Thanks a ton for the reply. Yea, when you work that hard a crinkly sleeping pad is the least of your noise worries. Now those 'snorers' are a different story. They need to invent ultra light noise canceling headphones

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Great write up GBolt. So happy it worked out for you and you were able to complete the trail.
    I remember some of your early gear videos and thinking we shared similar gear. I liked how you balanced lightweight gear in some places and comfort/ease of use elsewhere.

One comment on the Warbonnet straps - they do detach from the hammock. You just unthread them from the buckles. Maybe the strap solution you ended up with was lighter and/or you found it easier to adjust.

Thanks for paying it forward with the write up.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    One comment on the Warbonnet straps - they do detach from the hammock. You just unthread them from the buckles. Maybe the strap solution you ended up with was lighter and/or you found it easier to adjust.

Thanks for paying it forward with the write up.
    You are correct, the straps can be removed from the Buckles that stay attached the hammock. However, the beatle Buckles stay attached to the straps. I just found the second method quicker/easier and slightly lighter than the WB method. The Beetle Buckles also served as a water break in the rain, so I never suffered the hammock getting damp. Thanks for your response to help clarify.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

Hammock
    WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    I think it’s fascinating that you placed a high priority of sleeping comfort vs. weight. Very interesting that you carried two topquilts and an Xlite. This strategy is certainly contrary to what I read in AT bloggers gear lists.

Being around your age, I would also not skimp on items I know would ensure recouperative rest after 15 mile days.

Curious about the rest of your kit. Clothing, cooking, electronics? Did you resupply along the trail or use mail drops?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast