Kids Hammock size ?

How do I figure out the length and width of material to use for a smaller child ?

A 6 ft person uses a 11 ft

My grand daughter is 4 ft tall , do I make it 7 foot long ?

My grand daughters are @ the same height and I made the each a 8' GE. They like the size but as they grow so will needing a longer hammock so maybe start with an 11' hammock and that way if she doesn't like it you would have a loaner/ alternative for your self.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    My grand daughter is 4 ft tall , do I make it 7 foot long ?
    I agree with yinfrt that you may want to think about making it full size (I assume you're doing DIY). As a compromise, make it 10 feet long. She's not going to stay four feet tall very long and if she uses it more than a year or two, you don't want her outgrowing it. To better fit it to her current frame you could take the 10 foot length and then whip the ends a foot each to make an 8 foot hammock. As she grows, move the whipping out more. Call it a customizable adjustable length hammock.

Along those same lines, I wonder if Dutch or somebody doing the print on demand stuff could actually make a hammock body with length measurements on it to allow whipping at different lengths? I picture fabric with ruler type markings on the ends indicating gathering points at which to whip the fabric. Totally not necessary but sorta cool to think about.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Jared at Simply Light makes a Micro Lair for kids which is an 8ft version of the Trail Lair that is also narrower than standard. I got that for my daughter, who is 4' 8".

To be honest I had a lot of concerns when she laid down in it that it was too short and narrow, but she absolutely loves it. For what it is worth she says it is a lot more comfortable for her than my 11' Trail LAir which I had her try out.

I'm sure in a year or two she will need something bigger, but for now the smaller one creates a nice cozy cocoon that her kid body is in love with.

That said, if you are a DIY'er, the idea of making a larger one and adjusting the length with whipping sounds solid.

Did you make the width narrower also ?
    Last edited by Buckaroo; 01-20-2019 at 21:33.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Not sure who you are asking, but as far as the one I ordered, it comes with a 48" width.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    As a 6' tall adult I 'can' sleep in an 8.5' hammock in warmer weather. It's not my first choice, but I can and have done it. Why not try that. You'll need 3 yards of fabric to make a 7' hammock anyway so why not use the full blank and end up with roughly a 8.5' hammock? That gives them room to grow.

The warmer weather is because my sleeping bag tends to fall out in the shorter hammock easier. I think my feet tend to push out the ends a little easier in the short hammock and the insulation follows them. It's not as noticeable in the warm weather.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I did 10' XL for my son. I don't think you can really do it 'wrong'...

I have two kids (8 and almost 5). He liked the XL because they could easily lay across it... they don't sleep together but hammocks are natural 'toys' if you got two kids so being able to play in it is just as important as sleeping in it.

It's also long enough he can lay inline... which he likes as it's easy. It also means a partial length incubator fits him full length with little or no modification. (A shorty would have required new suspension).
    Because he's inline I don't need to worry about UQ adjustments much, if at all.
    He likes being 'in it' as well... so the extra width/lack of visibility was no bother and an unexpected bonus.
    My son also likes that he can take a portion of it and make a hammock next to him for his teddy bear.

Bottom line...
    I'd say do what I did- start with a 10' XL. You can always cut it down but you can't sew it together.
    Worst case if you don't want to cut it up you get a nice 'pocket hammock' or lounger and you start over with smaller dimensions.

Use an ARL too... made dialing it in for him much easier as the sag is a bit off of normal. Having the RL also makes setup easier/consistent and gives him a place to hang his nightlight and storage pouches which, much like some adults I know, are by far the coolest part

• + New Posts