Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Thank you. I understand the difference between the insulated/non-insulated offerings. But I'm thinking in terms of stacking the insulated Trail Winder with another underquilt- while still gaining the benefits of a UQP. Does the insulated version have the ability to hang loosely to allow a down UQ to be used on the inside while not compressing the loft? I'm sure one could add a length adjustment on the shock cord at the ends (if none exists) to allow for this. I was thinking it would be nice to have a 20° UQ on the inside with the 3.6 Trail Winder on the outside, if you needed to camp in temps below 0°.

Or perhaps it would just be better to use the down UQ on the outside. This would alleviate compression issues- however you lose the benefit of having a UQP.
    Ahhhhhhh gotcha ..... In a uq stacking scenario. At this time I’ve only been using the trail winder as a single insulation source. Both your configurations would work , although if using the trail winder on the outside you would definitely need to lengthen the shock cord
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortRound View Post
    Ahhhhhhh gotcha ..... In a uq stacking scenario. At this time I’ve only been using the trail winder as a single insulation source. Both your configurations would work , although if using the trail winder on the outside you would definitely need to lengthen the shock cord
    Perfect. That's what I was wondering! I like the idea of using synthetic for late Spring/Summer applications. And the Trail Winder would be a perfect UQ for that. But when I do my winter hangs, it would be nice to have the ability to stack it with my 20° UQ to go below 0°.

Nice thinking outside the box with this one. I first started out with synthetic quilts then switched to down, only due to issues with packability. The concept of tying in the quilt with the UQP is brilliant and looks like a great solution for damp climates.

Wonder how long it will take for someone else to come up with something along the same lines...

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Perfect. That's what I was wondering! I like the idea of using synthetic for late Spring/Summer applications. And the Trail Winder would be a perfect UQ for that. But when I do my winter hangs, it would be nice to have the ability to stack it with my 20° UQ to go below 0°.
    Sea dug & Chesapeake both got theirs & have been stack testing with positive results . I myself am using them as stand alone under quilts ( I have a 20 & 40 degree) & that work perfect !
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Nice thinking outside the box with this one. I first started out with synthetic quilts then switched to down, only due to issues with packability. The concept of tying in the quilt with the UQP is brilliant and looks like a great solution for damp climates.

Wonder how long it will take for someone else to come up with something along the same lines...
    Im also really surprised nobody ever thought to infuse the two either ???
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Sea dug & Chesapeake both got theirs & have been stack testing with positive results . I myself am using them as stand alone under quilts ( I have a 20 & 40 degree) & that work perfect !
    Thanks for the update! I think I may have to start saving for one of these- most likely the 40°. The only thing I'm curious about is why there is such a huge price difference between the 40° and 30° options. There's only a $10 difference between the 30° and 20°- which is much more in line with how quilt vendors adjust pricing between temp ratings. But an $85 jump for a 10° difference is not worth it, imo.
    Last edited by rweb82; 02-08-2019 at 08:52.

Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    DIY 11' winter
    Insulation
    DIY insulated UQP
    Suspension
    Beckett
    Images
    I wanted to ask this same question about layering, so helpful to see the conversation here. Thank you!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I myself am using them as stand alone under quilts ( I have a 20 & 40 degree) & that work perfect !
    I spent 3 days on the trail recently & got to try out my new 40 deg Trail Winder & it performed great. Great compliment to the Trail Lair.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12